TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Eating Disorders If you or someone close to you is struggling with an eating disorder, reach out here to ask questions or to receive support for recovery.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Through-Glass Offline
<3
I've been here a while

Name: Jessi

Exclamation I eat, but... - February 10th 2009, 04:29 PM

I never go longer than one day without eating, and almost always eat atleast once a day (most often, twice a day). I never throw up my food, or take diet pills/laxatives.

I have a healthy body weight. BMI scales even say that I'm close to being slightly overweight.

So all of this says I'm fine. Maybe my eating habits are unhealthy, but not extreme. Not at all the picture of someone with an ED.

But I have tried a handful of times to make myself throw up, but am unable to. My gag reflex is not at all sensitive.

I weigh myself at any and every opportunity.

I feel guilty when I eat.

I've had break downs when getting dressed, because "nothing looks right".

I have purposely looked at photos of models and "thin" people, to encourage myself to eat less.

I'm often SH triggered by weight-related topics, looking at my stomach in the mirror, etc. I have also been suicidal triggered by this, but only in addition to other issues.

My friends have told me they're worried, although I have yet to lose any weight (and that's the truth--I'm going by numbers).

Obviously, no one here can diagnose me with anything or nothing. I'm purely searching for opinion. Do these issues sound like they could stem from depression or anxiety (with which I'm already diagnosed), or is this its own entity?

[/url]
"For the first time
in a long time,
I can say that I wanna try.
I feel helpless for the most part,
but I'm learning to open my eyes.
And the sad truth of the matter is,
I'll never get over it,
but I'm gonna try
to get better and overcome each moment
in my own way"

Motion City Soundtrack, "Even If It Kills Me"
  Send a message via Yahoo to Through-Glass  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
glittermist Offline
Modal Soul
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Lisa

Re: I eat, but... - February 10th 2009, 04:36 PM

Hey Jessi!
I do believe that these issues possibly stem from your depression and/or anxiety. I know that's where my issues with food come from. I think it would be worth talking to your doctor or counsellor about how food makes you feel, and your body image overall - so that they can help you come to terms with what's making you feel a certain way and how to overcome it.

Don't feel like you're alone in this; i think almost everyone is sensitive and unhappy about their body image so please just talk to someone and never let it consume you as you'll only end up resorting to extreme measures to fix what is not even broken.

Take care!

x

& it's just like she's in another world.
[<3]

(#3 (permalink)) Old
floatingangel Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: I eat, but... - February 12th 2009, 02:26 PM

hey i agree with lisa... depression and anxiety can really make you much harder on yourself. is there anyone you can talk to about this? you dont' have to keep hurting yourself like that and you deserve better!
don't let no one get you down..
take care and pm me anytime!

and the voice of truth tells me a different story
the voice of truth says "do not be afraid"

(#4 (permalink)) Old
eunoia Offline
(n) beautiful thinking
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jes

Re: I eat, but... - February 14th 2009, 11:46 PM

Jessi,

Nowhere does it say that to have an eating disorder you must look emaciated. I can't diagnosis you, but it's apparent you have an unhealthy relationship with food and weight.

Please see a doctor. Whether or not you have an eating disorder, it sounds like you would really benefit from some medical support right now.

Your relationship with food and weight can be affected by a whole lot of things. A therapist could most definitely help you get to the root of it. Do you see a therapist, anyway, for support for self harm and depression or anxiety?

Your friends are actually a pretty good indication of how you're doing. It seems the nature of teens, and even most adults, is mostly the survival of the self. That's not a bad thing, it's evolution. So when your friends notice there is something wrong going on, there is a good chance there IS something wrong. Remember that they have noticed because they care about you.

Take care and let me know if you need anything at all.

Someday I will be strong enough to lift not one but both of us.
I told you to be patient
I told you to be fine
I told you to be balanced
I told you to be kind

(#5 (permalink)) Old
sweetly_broken Offline
PM me any time :)
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Jess

Re: I eat, but... - February 15th 2009, 12:19 PM

these are all sine’s of and ed u should get help

(#6 (permalink)) Old
brendanmonline Offline
I'm here to help :)
Average Joe

Name: Brendan

Re: I eat, but... - February 15th 2009, 02:59 PM

Hey,

I'm not sure I quite grasp what's going on with you. The things I did pick up on:

1. You don't like to eat because of the way you feel about your weight and appearance

2. You want to loose weight (The stomach and throwing up part)

I can help you with this. But the most difficult part would be the fact you NEED to eat, actually, you need to eat six times a day and every three hours!

Sadly, teen help doesn't permit me to post exact diet and work-out routines. I really want to help you, so here is my e-mail: brendan@theuniversalforums.com

You can contact me there if your interested in a diet/work-out routine.

I do know your a girl, and your young so you have youth on your side which means weight loss/ maintaining your weight/appearance shouldn't be too hard.

So, yeah feel free to e-mail me at any-time.

"Do or do not, there is no try!" - Joey Kovar

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Katie Lydia Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Katie

Re: I eat, but... - February 15th 2009, 04:40 PM

I agree that you do have a very unhealthy relationship with food and your weight and obviously i'm not a doctor but i do think you need some help when your saying your having breakdowns and your encouraging yourself to eat less.

Usually every girl at one point in there life thinks something is wrong with their looks/weight but when your depressed and have tried to purge.

Please don't go down this path and please get some help, maybe they can get to the root of all this?

PM me if you need anything x

Razors pain you
Rivers are damp
Acid stains you
Drugs cause cramp
Guns aren't lawful
Nooses give
Gas smells awful
You might as well live.

♥ Family ♥ Animals ♥ Cats

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Through-Glass Offline
<3
I've been here a while

Name: Jessi

Re: I eat, but... - February 15th 2009, 06:09 PM

Thank you all so much for your replies.

I do see a therapist, so I could bring this up to her at one of our next sessions. I have briefly mentioned that a lot of my guilt is associated with food and weight, but we have yet to address this.

Scott and I got into a debate last night...he kept saying that I was making up the rolls of fat, that it was all in my head--insisting that I have lost weight. But again, if you look to the numbers I have NOT lost weight...in fact, I have gained a bit. He's being quite over-dramatic, and it's really frusterating when I so badly want these things to be true. When he says I'm too thin and have lost weight, it hurts because I wish for these things, all the time.

Meh. -_-

[/url]
"For the first time
in a long time,
I can say that I wanna try.
I feel helpless for the most part,
but I'm learning to open my eyes.
And the sad truth of the matter is,
I'll never get over it,
but I'm gonna try
to get better and overcome each moment
in my own way"

Motion City Soundtrack, "Even If It Kills Me"
  Send a message via Yahoo to Through-Glass  
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
brendanmonline Offline
I'm here to help :)
Average Joe

Name: Brendan

Re: I eat, but... - February 15th 2009, 07:16 PM

Like I said, IF you are over-weight I can help you drop it and maintain it. Then your on your own for whatever else goes on, although I can set you up pretty nifty with a routine and all. I wish you the best of luck as always and my e-mail is above so feel free at any time,

Brendan

"Do or do not, there is no try!" - Joey Kovar

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Fictional Offline
Nom ;D
I've been here a while

Name: Jessy

Re: I eat, but... - February 15th 2009, 07:40 PM

that sounds like how i felt. you really need to talk to a counciller about this, it'll really help. it helped me.

There's always light at the end of a tunnel, even if you have to pass a few bends to see it.

Proud reciever of a glance from Kyo xD

Mada tooi anataboshi

Closed Thread