TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Eating Disorders If you or someone close to you is struggling with an eating disorder, reach out here to ask questions or to receive support for recovery.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
thisiscourtney Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Courtney

Family isn't making recovery easy. - May 23rd 2010, 11:54 PM

After finally telling my family that I've had an eating disorder for 4 years (binge-eating/exercise bulimia), I didn't get the reaction I had planned. My mother immediately said, "Okay, inpatient care." My dad mentioned removing tempting foods from the house. My sister said it's not an eating disorder because she eats a lot sometimes, too, and then exercises because she feels fat. She and my mom got in an argument because my sister doesn't believe in therapy. I don't believe in it, either, but I feel like they think it's some big joke or a cry for attention.

To make matters worse, I'm getting compliments thrown at me left and right, all the time. My sister now leaves notes saying, "You're gorgeous." and my mom constantly tells me how skinny I look, and I don't care if it's true or not, because I know they're only saying it to make me feel better about myself. It's only making me feel worse.

Waitin' for my ruca.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Casey. Offline
Dance with me
I can't get enough

Name: Casey

Re: Family isn't making recovery easy. - May 24th 2010, 04:16 AM

Courtney,

It sounds like they are trying to help. You are beautiful, and they want you to believe that. Maybe it's not the way you want help, but they are trying. Try to talk to your mum alone, therapy is not a bad thing, but maybe try counseling before inpatient, and let her know how the stuff they are doing is affecting you. I'm sure they don't think it's for attention, otherwise they'd be treating it like it's nothing. Just hang in there, and pm me if you need anything.

She whispered to her own reflection "I will be strong."

"I am not what has happened to me.I am what I have chosen to become."- Carl Jung

"If ye harm none, do as ye wish."

Sometimes things just happen.

Smile through the tears.

PM me

Send a message via Yahoo to Casey.  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
emma01 Offline
Hello :D
I've been here a while

Name: Emma

Re: Family isn't making recovery easy. - May 24th 2010, 05:14 AM

I suppose when you first told them, they were obviously a bit taken aback and a bit shocked that you had been doing this to yourself. I mean its an awful illness and that would explain them being uptight and angry. Now they have realised what they did, they are only trying to help. And just imagine if it had been your sister with the illness, and you knew NOTHING about ED's...would you know EXACTLY how to help? I know if I never knew about ED's I wouldnt know what to do exactly. They are only trying and I think that is a sort of reaction which would be expected of a family.
Talk to the person you feel most comfortable talking to (maybe your mum) and tell her how you feel about the compliments, and tell her exactly how you feel. She will be able to stop the compliments and make you hopefully feel better.

Good luck

Closed Thread