TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Eating Disorders If you or someone close to you is struggling with an eating disorder, reach out here to ask questions or to receive support for recovery.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Coffee. Offline
Condom Queen
TeenHelp Addict

Name: Traci

Question Am I too fat? (Rant/Questioning) - June 5th 2010, 07:47 PM

I've wanted to lose weight for a long time, and I have lost some. All my friends tell me I don't need to, and I wonder is it just me or are they just being nice? So, how do you know if you actually have a weight problem, or are you having body dysmorphic issues? It's a fine line...you know?
And can you trust a doctor? I asked my doctor, and she said I was completely normal, exactly in the middle of what I need to be on the BMI chart, but is that normal for the United States? Because most people in the United States are overweight...I don't know! I've been so confused lately.
And what if I don't want to be normal, and I want to be thin. Then what?
So...there is my crazy circular thinking. Argh.

I said to the sun, "Tell me about the big bang"
& the sun said “it hurts to become."
Andrea Gibson, "I Sing The Body Electric; Especially When My Power Is Out"

Last edited by Jen; June 6th 2010 at 03:11 AM. Reason: Removing trigger warning.
  Send a message via MSN to Coffee.  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
*Rainbow*Rider* Offline
<3
I've been here a while

Name: H

Re: Am I too fat? (Rant/Questioning) - June 5th 2010, 08:54 PM

Yes you can trust doctors. Doctors have no reason to lie to you. It does sound like you have some good issues but its good you came here. As you know you can't post weights or clothes sizes on here, but if your doctor and your friends say you're okay, then you're okay.

There are so many things more important then weight. Beauty, health, personality. A personality can't bloom until the person is comfortable in their own body, and I bet you've a beautiful personality, and a beautiful body.

If the world is a cold place
Make it your business to start some fires

(#3 (permalink)) Old
DarkSeph Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Liam

Re: Am I too fat? (Rant/Questioning) - June 5th 2010, 09:03 PM

If you're exactly in the middle of the BMI chart then you should be pretty much perfect.
The BMI chart does not change in the United states because of the average population weight. Something like 65% of american's are overweight according to the BMI chart. Which basically means, not only is your weight normal for the United states, it's actually better than normal.

So medically your weight is perfect and according to your friends you're fine, so it seems pretty certain you definitely aren't overweight.
  Send a message via MSN to DarkSeph  
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Batman. Offline
Protector of Gotham
I can't get enough

Name: Julz

Re: Am I too fat? (Rant/Questioning) - June 6th 2010, 12:35 AM

Well BDD (Body Dysmorphic Disorder) is very much like an OCD-type weight loss, for lack of a better explaination.

Most teenage girls want to lose weight, whether they're overweight, normal weight, or underweight. And to be honest, their friends sometimes fudge the truth, but sometimes they're right on.

If the doctor says your BMI is normal, though, they wouldn't lie to you about it. If your weight was something concerning, trust me, your doctor would probably be the first to tell you.

Dare to be Different, to be Weird, to be a Freak.
Overall, Dare to be yourself.

Stamp Out Prejudice Hatred and Intolerance Everywhere
The Sophie Lancaster Foundation

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Jen Offline
Dance in the rain
I've been here a while

Name: Jen

Re: Am I too fat? (Rant/Questioning) - June 6th 2010, 03:13 AM

You can absolutely trust your doctor--she knows what she's talking about! It sounds like you don't have a weight problem, and the issues are more with distorted thinking, and what's going on in your head.

Have you talked to anyone (your doctor, parents, counselor, teacher, etc.) about your thoughts about your body? If not, I'd definitely suggest doing so.

<3

"Do not ask yourself what the world needs. Ask yourself what makes you come alive and then go do that. Because what the world needs is people who have come alive."

“if nothing changed, there’d be no butterflies”

Send a message via MSN to Jen  
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Algernon Offline
CPT-1 Phlebotomist
Outside, huh?

Name: Holly

Re: Am I too fat? (Rant/Questioning) - June 6th 2010, 03:16 AM

I dont trust the charts very much anymore. I don't know a vast amount of people that fit into that chart correctly. The chart says that I'm obese. I'm way over the weight I "should" be. Even when I was in karate I was over what I should be, then again, I have a lot of muscle. I would just listen to the doctor.

Geek? Nerd? More like intellectual badass.

"You ran through Africa, and Asia, and Indonesia.. And now I've found you, and I love you. I want to know your name."
  Send a message via Yahoo to Algernon  
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
Kitty. Offline
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Kitty

Re: Am I too fat? (Rant/Questioning) - June 6th 2010, 05:35 PM

Just like Holly, I don't trust the charts either. I weigh more than you would think because of my muscle mass.
Bone structure also has to do with weight.
Your doctor will tell you the truth about your weight so trust him.
  Send a message via MSN to Kitty.  
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
Steph-O
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Stephanie

Re: Am I too fat? (Rant/Questioning) - June 7th 2010, 03:51 AM

try not to focus on weight so much... try to work out a good amount and don't worry about what you eat... just eat what you normally do maybe a little bit more and you will feel leaner, that's much nicer than being thin anyway. Healthy and strong is much nicer and much more attractive I think. If you are in the middle of the bmi chart, you are absolutely fine. Just work out some a couple of night a week and you'll start to feel nice, rejuvinated. I used to suffer from anorexia and bulimia so I understand how you are feeling with the whole wanting to be thin thing, but in the end trying to lose weight, will ultimately hurt you more than help you. Your body has a set weight that it tries to maintain, and when you mess up that balance you just end up feeling more miserable and it can make you depressed and all sorts of stuff. Focus on making good food choices, taking care of yourself, and exercizing regularly. (not too much) and I'm sure you are just fine.

Like a diet of the mind, I just choose not to indulge certain appetites; like my appetite for patterns; perhaps my appetite to imagine and to dream. - A Beautiful Mind

I met Steven October 3rd, 2008. We've been practically inseperable ever since. ♥
  Send a message via AIM to darkinnocenteyes Send a message via Skype™ to darkinnocenteyes 
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
Coffee. Offline
Condom Queen
TeenHelp Addict

Name: Traci

Re: Am I too fat? (Rant/Questioning) - June 8th 2010, 05:03 PM

I've tried to talk to my mom about it, but it's hard because she's quite overweight, so I don't know how much I trust her sometimes. I really don't talk about it with anybody, because I always feel attacked, like my friends always say they think I'm on my way to an eating disorder, but I feel their over-reacting. Thanks for all the comments, very helpful.

I said to the sun, "Tell me about the big bang"
& the sun said “it hurts to become."
Andrea Gibson, "I Sing The Body Electric; Especially When My Power Is Out"
  Send a message via MSN to Coffee.  
Closed Thread