TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Eating Disorders If you or someone close to you is struggling with an eating disorder, reach out here to ask questions or to receive support for recovery.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Mikey Offline
Average Joe

Warning Signs. - June 11th 2010, 04:48 AM

This thread has been labeled as triggering by the original poster or by a Moderator. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

I've been posting alot in this forumn; I apologize.

Have any of you had/has noticed the effects of your Eating Disorder?
I've been wondering about physical signs of mine such as thin hair covering my body (Lanugo) and low tempature, discoloration in my hands/feet. I know it's strange that in my state of well-being, I'm knowledgeable about my disease and the possible health problems. But it's literally STUCK in my head, I'm becoming informed and proud of my lack of energy, paleness, headaches, ect.

Has anyone experienced the same thoughts? Am I paranoid and over-reacting? How did you know they were actual problems? Is there any qualities that you need to seriously look for?

You will come to realize that what appears today to be a sacrafice will prove instead to be the greatest investment you ever made.

Last edited by Casey.; June 12th 2010 at 11:00 PM. Reason: Changing trigger tag to fit with the new guidelines.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Open my eyes
Average Joe

Name: Esther

Re: Warning Signs. - June 11th 2010, 03:40 PM

Hi Mickayla, I used to have those effects on my boday as well, I was so conscious about it and I was proud of it, I would even think I was somehow "better" than other people to have been able to come to the point where everybody looked at me saying "poor girl, hope you get better soon". I guess it's part of the ED since it takes your mind too and makes you want to look so fragile (I've heard this from a lot of girls who had ED and I'd say it as well). So as far as I'm concerned I think it's pretty normal between people like us... What I did about it was to follow a therapist advice but anyways by the time I started to visit my therapist I had already switched this ED for bulimia, so my problems were others so far.
All the best

Fear Cuts Deeper Than Knives

"And if you told me 'go to the hell', I'd tell you I know pretty well that place"
  Send a message via MSN to Ess The Morgenstern * Send a message via Skype™ to Ess The Morgenstern * 
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Lexy9e Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Alexis Zoe<3

Re: Warning Signs. - June 11th 2010, 04:59 PM

Mickayla,

When your eating disorder begins to give you physical signs it is important to inform a doctor and seek medical attention. These signs could potentially lead to something more serious and a doctor visit is important. As for signs of this I myself have experienced signs like this before. Especially hair thinning. If you are not getting your intake of proteins and other essential vitamins then it does wear and tear on your body. It is important to monitor your health and if these symptoms do get worse it is important to seek help. Please let me know if you need any further advice or someone to confide in. I'm here for you.

Best,
Lexy

(#4 (permalink)) Old
emma01 Offline
Hello :D
I've been here a while

Name: Emma

Re: Warning Signs. - June 12th 2010, 02:02 AM

I know exactly what you mean, and I can relate. I have stopped feeling so dizzy after exercise now I am eating better, but I haven't gained anything, so I still feel the cold. I used to like when I felt dizzy (well, i didn't) but it assured me I was doing well in starving myself. I also still struggle with the thoughts about being cold. I used to try and be cold to burn more calories, and I still have these little thoughts in my head when Im freezing, i think to myself "At least im burning calories"
Other signs I have had is Paleness, my mum said I looked like Death Warmed up :P and also my hair is falling out. I get really confused as to why our bodies grow hair where its not wanted, but lost on our heads...where I want it!

Some people have also picked out some things about me that have changed. My friend said I have become a real perfectionist. And now she has said that, I watch how I act in class...and all my stuff has to be PERFECT, and all work has to be done and I get stressed if I cant do something perfectly. Its a bit like OCD....but its funny how she picked that up. Also people have said I seemed dazed all the time, it was like I was not with them. And my mood changed too, i got quite defensive and very sensitive, and very low. I got angry at people for questioning me, and I would get very uptight.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
jakuums Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Warning Signs. - June 12th 2010, 09:25 PM

hey, i know exactly what you mean, i felt dizzy all the time, and the tiredness use to kill me, but it assured me that i was doing everything right, that i was starving myself, and it was working. Some of the symptoms i didnt get though, like paleness and i didnt really collapse much either, only a few times, that annoyed me, because i use to think, im obviously not doing it 100 % right. That spured me on, but when you do get a problem, like dry skin, it makes you feel more impowered that you have one more symptom under you belt and that it will work. And i use to be proud of how little i was eating, when i heard my friends say that they havnt eating much over the last couple of days, i use to think, well i haveny eaten anything in three days, but i never said it out load, coz i knew that theyd eventually catch on, so i mentally challengs them, at how thin they were and how thin i were. Im here for you to talk to if you wish

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Casey. Offline
Dance with me
I can't get enough

Name: Casey

Re: Warning Signs. - June 12th 2010, 10:59 PM

Hey Mickayla,

If you are noticing physical signs then you should visit your doctor, because an eating disorder can become deadly quickly. It can make you extremely sick. I can, however, relate to what you are going through. When I was at my worse my hair was thinning out, my nails were brittle, I was weak and exhausted, dizzy and depressed all the time. I was also sick so much more often, my body couldn't fight off even a common cold. So no, you aren't alone in this. Many of us who have eating disorders eventually experience the physical effects.

She whispered to her own reflection "I will be strong."

"I am not what has happened to me.I am what I have chosen to become."- Carl Jung

"If ye harm none, do as ye wish."

Sometimes things just happen.

Smile through the tears.

PM me

Send a message via Yahoo to Casey.  
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
Jovial. Offline
Skittles Minion.

Senior TeenHelper

Name: Trish

Re: Warning Signs. - June 13th 2010, 03:09 AM

Hey there,
I know how you feel. I too even though I suffer from anorexia and bulimia I am very aware of the physical and health problems that it can cause. Even though I know all about it and the harm that it can cause to me, it does not stop me from doing it. It makes me feel better almost like I know what I am doing, I do not want to sound like a hypocrit or anything but you really should see a docter or talk to an adult that you trust. You deserve to be better. You are not alone on this. If you ever need anyone to talk to feel free to p.m. me.

Take care of yourself.
Trish
  Send a message via Yahoo to Jovial.  
Closed Thread