TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Eating Disorders If you or someone close to you is struggling with an eating disorder, reach out here to ask questions or to receive support for recovery.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Em... Offline
smile; it looks good on you.
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: E

Something more? - June 12th 2010, 02:50 AM

Hey Peeps,

I have a question about warning signs for anorexia. I'm not willingly (out loud at least) to say that I have a problem with food, possibly the start of anorexia.

I've become more obsessive about food. I've been more aware of labels, calories etc.

I have a tendency to count my calories for each day and I have my limit per day, though due to living with my parents for another couple of weeks it's set a bit higher than I would like it.

I have to eat because i'm still living with my parents, but when I can get out of it I can, and if I due eat I want to purge because I don't like it in me.

My scale is coming to university to me. I may weigh myself a max of 4 times a day.

I recently just bought a new journal that I plan on making a food diary when I go to uni in 14 days.

I use to take diet pills, but had to stop because pills and I just don't work.

I know these are not good, and that my psychiatrist says I'm at a huge risk of developing an eating disorder. I know these are problems and could escalate to a higher degree, I just don't know.

Could this be an eating disorder, or the start of something else? I mean I usually just refer to it as disordered eating, but could it be more? :/

Last edited by Jen; June 12th 2010 at 04:22 AM. Reason: Removing trigger warning.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Maloo Offline
Maloooooo
I can't get enough

Name: Lissa

Re: Something more? - June 12th 2010, 03:04 AM

Uh, I've never had an ED so I don't know what it's like, but I wouldn't say that you're developing an eating disorder. I'd say you definitely have one.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
emma01 Offline
Hello :D
I've been here a while

Name: Emma

Re: Something more? - June 12th 2010, 03:54 AM

Yes you most certainly sound like you are developing an eating disorder. You should really try and get help for this earlier, because at its worse eating disorders can kill. It is much easier to sort this out now, rather than later. The longer it lasts, the harder it is to recover. EDs are so hard and frustrating to live with.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Open my eyes
Average Joe

Name: Esther

Re: Something more? - June 12th 2010, 09:34 AM

I agree with them, you have a problem with food and you should look for help before it goes further, it sounds like you're in the first phase but you must stop it, if you wait it'll be harderto make it go away :/
All the best xx

Fear Cuts Deeper Than Knives

"And if you told me 'go to the hell', I'd tell you I know pretty well that place"
  Send a message via MSN to Ess The Morgenstern * Send a message via Skype™ to Ess The Morgenstern * 
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Jesus paid it ALL.
I've been here a while

Name: Emily

Re: Something more? - June 12th 2010, 01:52 PM

Yes, you may not have one now; however, it sounds like you are at very high risk. As the others can said eating disorders can be fatal or at the very least hard to overcome.

In addition, because of drinking and such fluids in your body, there will be times of day you weigh more than other times by a slight bit.

My advice, is to fix this now before it gets worse. To do this you may choose to work with a doctor or other professional to develop a healthy diet/exercise plan.

Good luck

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Em... Offline
smile; it looks good on you.
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: E

Re: Something more? - June 12th 2010, 02:10 PM

Hiyas,
thanks everyone for your kind words. My old psych said that when I get to uni that I should join the eating disorders support group they have there. but i just don't want to admit that I have a problem, and i'm kinda scared to start over to tell the psych at the school that I may have a problem, and blah blah blah.
goodness, this is so difficult. :/

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Average Joe

Name: Laura

Re: Something more? - June 12th 2010, 03:14 PM

i know how you feel. it took me years before i actually came out and said that i had an eating disorder. once you say it though, it feels a whole lot better, trust me. the first step toward recovery is admitting you have a problem. good luck to you! i would really suggest joining the support group. it might be weird at first b/c everyone might be really secure with the fact that they have an eating disorder, but i think eventually it could really become a great support

Closed Thread