TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Eating Disorders If you or someone close to you is struggling with an eating disorder, reach out here to ask questions or to receive support for recovery.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
whyamionlexapro Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Kaan

Fat, Not Proud Of It - June 27th 2010, 01:45 PM

Hi guys and girls,

I'm obese, and am starting yet another diet soon. I can't fit into normal clothes any more and I eat like a pig.

My mother keeps putting me in guilt trips, and gets angry with me when I secretly eat something unhealthy. She even talks about people with weight problems in such a condescending way (she says things like, "Why do fat people want to eat KFC/Chocolate/etc?"). She's thin, and I believe that she doesn't know what it's like to be fat.

I went to the psychiatrist, and he said that there is no problem, so long that I don't put on weight. Since seeing him three months ago, I've put on My mother now accuses me of deliberately putting on weight to be given recognition as an ED sufferer.

These days, I can eat a whole box of cereal, or even 3 large packets of chips in one go. I feel remorse, and then do it again after a while.

I was able to lose weight once before, and kept it off for a while, but put the weight back on - no one could tell the difference) with the habits that I described.

My mother says that it could be the antidepressants that I'm on (Lexapro), reacting with the food, but I was able to lose the weight when on them. I was also overweight before taking the pills.

Some people say that it's normal eating behaviour for a teenage boy, but they're all thin and good looking (I'll talk about my gender issues in another, more relevant thread).

I can't even exercise any more, because my back and ankles have been screwing up.

Can someone please help me?
Thank you

Edit: Whoops, sorry, forgot to read them - haven't been on forums for a while

Last edited by whyamionlexapro; June 27th 2010 at 02:12 PM. Reason: Fixing stuff up

(#2 (permalink)) Old
*Rainbow*Rider* Offline
<3
I've been here a while

Name: H

Re: Fat, Not Proud Of It - June 27th 2010, 02:03 PM

You don't have to go on a diet. Just, control your diet.

3 healthy meals a day, and two snacks.
Each meal should include some form of fruit/veg.
Snacks should not be more then a handful of whatever it is.

I'm not sure what it is you like to drink, but water is great and you'd be suprised how much of a difference drinking fizzy soda's all the time makes. Obviously you dont have to only drink water, but I know people who only ever drink soda and fruit juice which is, well, full of calories and bad stuff.

Portion control is also a big part of it.

You also need to figure out what feelings you are experiencing whilst you eat. It sounds like you, like me, are a compulsive eater. Eating feelings and stuff. When you feel yourself feeling hungry. Try doing something else for half an hour before going to get something to eat. See if you really are hungry. Also, sometimes we mistake thirst with hunger.

I suggest you weigh yourself once a week, no more, no less. If you feel yourself getting obsessive ask your mother to take the scales until a week is over.

Also, walking is good. Its relatively painless and helps with everything. If you down load some audio books to your mp3 then it can make it 100x more interesting.

If the world is a cold place
Make it your business to start some fires

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Open my eyes
Average Joe

Name: Esther

Re: Fat, Not Proud Of It - June 27th 2010, 09:11 PM

As a sufferer of bulimia, I can completely relate to this binging episodes.
You shouldn't start a diet, it'll only make you feel like you're restricting yourself and you'll want to binge again, and yet again DIETS DON'T WORK, specially if you have an ED.
If you get used to eat 3 meals a day, with 2 snacks in between, you shouldn't be that hungry.
Your meals should be like this:
- 57% carbohydrates
- 5 fruits/veggies
- 2 milk products
- 13% of protein
- 30% fats
Of course, you can, and should, eat what you want if you feel like doing so. Remember that there aren't forbidden foods! But do it with moderation, if you want a doghnut, orde one doghnut, not a dozen, and anyone has died because of eating an hamburger once in a while.
You could try to do some "light" exercise, such as swimming, or walking if you feel like you're able to.
If you need some support, here I am
All the best xx

Fear Cuts Deeper Than Knives

"And if you told me 'go to the hell', I'd tell you I know pretty well that place"
  Send a message via MSN to Ess The Morgenstern * Send a message via Skype™ to Ess The Morgenstern * 
Closed Thread