TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Eating Disorders If you or someone close to you is struggling with an eating disorder, reach out here to ask questions or to receive support for recovery.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
mandarin_orange Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Question What to do? - July 6th 2010, 04:26 AM

Okay, so about two years ago I started to binge and purge. I know it's awful, but my self image is so bad that this is what I resort to. Recently, I've been noticing some really really bad side effects of bulimia. Teeth and hair thinning, daily head and stomach-aches...

To be honest, I'm sick of it. I know I can't tell my mom, she would be mad at me instead of trying to help. But that's what I want, help. It's summer so I can't turn to a councilor either.

I could really use some advice on how to start recovering on my own. Any positive comments are appreciated, thanks.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
wonderbread Offline
Like a dude
I've been here a while

Name: Ashley

Re: What to do? - July 6th 2010, 04:46 AM

Well first would be just to stop. Yes I know easier said than done.
I went through the same thing. Not as long as you but about a year.
Since it is summer I would suggest surrounding yourself around people like friends and doing things keeping you busy so you won't have time to do it. I did that and it helped big time. It was a great start for me to stop.

Always remember to put your happiness first.
  Send a message via MSN to wonderbread  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
ChelseaSmile Offline
They Were Wrong
Average Joe

Name: Chelsea

Re: What to do? - July 6th 2010, 05:37 AM

If you want to stop, then you will be able to stop.
It all depends on what you want to do.
There are other ways to have a good body image, I promise(:
First, you have to learn to love yourself.
If your comfortable with yourself than you are capable of so much more.
You won't feel the need to resort to eating disorders.
Exercise is also a very good alternative.
Exercising releases an enzyme and it actually makes you feel happier.
Its a natural anti-depressant which is a plus(:
I hope this helped.
If you need anything else, PM me(:
-Bryri
  Send a message via Skype™ to ChelseaSmile 
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Open my eyes
Average Joe

Name: Esther

Re: What to do? - July 6th 2010, 07:38 AM

hey
I went through this some months back, my parents don't even know now, but my therapist and one friend of mine. I know they'd think it's a waste of money instead of helping, I know the feeling.
Something that has really helped me is try to make a three meals plan with two snacks in between, because it's pretty normal to want to binge, that's what you're used to and this helps a bit to avoid those cravings.
Also, I started running, since I did, I tried to stop throwing up, but you should have in mind you like exercising, you aren't doing this in order to burn calories, so do it moderately. Feel te freedom it gives to you, encourage yourself to keep going, you'll feel better, trust me.
Try to keep a diary, that's about learn about your feelings, what make you feel like b-p, write as well what recovery means to you and read it from time to time.
When you binge, don't blame yourself, you're ill, it's not your fault neither anyone's fault; it's a sickness. Try to write what you feel before (if you can), the amount you eat, how anxious are you (from 1-10) and how much selfcontrol you have (1-10), and also how you feel afterwards.
I think it also helps to write a list of your good characteristics, there must be something, I'm sure so try to find them
Remember that recovery is a slow process, you'll fall many times in the journey back to health, don't get desperate, you're doing your best, no one can ask you for more.
Sorry if this is a bit too long :P if you ever need to talk, here I am
All the best xx

Fear Cuts Deeper Than Knives

"And if you told me 'go to the hell', I'd tell you I know pretty well that place"
  Send a message via MSN to Ess The Morgenstern * Send a message via Skype™ to Ess The Morgenstern * 
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Palmolive Offline
Purr Purr Purr.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jessie

Re: What to do? - July 6th 2010, 12:00 PM

Hey there.

I think its really great that you wanting to get out of this and wanting help. I dont personally believe you can just stop. I have the same issues. I purge frequently and have binging episodes.

If you dont want to tell your mum im not going to pressure you in to it. I'd hate for the situation to get worse than better. But im not understand why you cant see a councillor? You could see a normal councillor but you can also get ED specalists. I think to go around it, you will have to go and see your GP and they can make the referral.

Like already said, getting out a bit more with friends might help. Mayeb you can start eating healthy so that you are eating good foods with the right nutriten etc and eat regular meals and snacks instead og binging. So set it out through out the day. I was advised to eat five smaller meals through it the day so im eating regulary but so thats its not to overwhelming.

I hope things start to look up and feel free to PM if you need a chat.

Jess

"Only in the dark, can you see the stars..."
Josie 12/3/2014, always in my heart. Sue 19/2/2016; Peter, Ellie, Hannah, Andy, Kirtsie RIP.

Helplink Mentor l Article writer l Forum mod l Community Mod

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Sonshine7 Offline
Shine Bright
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: What to do? - July 6th 2010, 06:29 PM

Remember it's what is within your heart that count we all change hollywood is no help all we see is cute little girls and think I need to be that way,But remember how special and unique you are there is nobody like you one of a kind and embrace that!! Focus on the real you on the inside and let love shine though I found out that is what people really care about not your weight so shine on girl and never stop being just you!!!

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
mandarin_orange Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: What to do? - July 10th 2010, 03:21 AM

thanks, guys, you're all really helpful. (: just so you know, I did break down and tell my mom. she was a bit less mad then expected but it's obvious she's not trying too hard to help. maybe she just isn't comfortable with the whole situation. I think I'm starting recovery now, but it will take a while to get better. thanks, again, for all the supportive comments.

"Don't try to fix me, I'm not broken... Hello? I'm the lie living for you, so you can hide- Don't cry."
-Evanescence, Hello

(#8 (permalink)) Old
emma01 Offline
Hello :D
I've been here a while

Name: Emma

Re: What to do? - July 10th 2010, 04:23 AM

HEY! its great you told your mum, you know that is so brave of you, and now that will be such a weight of your shoulders you can focu son recovery with help, rather than trying to hide it all.

Closed Thread