TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Eating Disorders If you or someone close to you is struggling with an eating disorder, reach out here to ask questions or to receive support for recovery.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
annalibelle Offline
Jane Doe
Not a n00b

Name: Annabelle

Is it normal.... - July 14th 2010, 02:34 AM

Is it normal to try throwing up on occasion?
Sometimes when i feel fat or guilty about being full, I've tried to vomit it out. I've never managed to acutally throw up, so it's okay, right?
Most people do experiment with this, right?

"Every mushroom cloud has a silver lining"- Owl City

(#2 (permalink)) Old
emma01 Offline
Hello :D
I've been here a while

Name: Emma

Re: Is it normal.... - July 14th 2010, 02:50 AM

Hi. I know you are having doubts about this, if you thought it was normal you wouldn't have posted with concern. But no, it is never okay to just try and make yourself sick. That is in a way a form of self harm. You have to remember, everyone feels full some time or another, and everyone overeats sometimes. It is common to feel a bit guilty, but not to want to make yourself sick. That is going to damage your insides, and now you might say "Oh its only occasionally, i'll stop after i've done it once" but you wont, it turns into an addiction, it turns into an eating disorder, maybe bulimia or purging-type anorexia. Its not nice, and you cant mess with eating disorders.
You should really tell someone about this. Sorry to hear you are doing this to yourself though, hope you can overcome this soon xx

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Elliee Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Ellie

Re: Is it normal.... - July 14th 2010, 11:45 AM

I totally agree with Emma. I don't think she could have put it in better words. I really urge you to talk to someone if you are still considering it because the sooner you do, the better. It can cause serious damage and really isn't something you want to get into. Please take care, x

(#4 (permalink)) Old
annalibelle Offline
Jane Doe
Not a n00b

Name: Annabelle

Re: Is it normal.... - July 15th 2010, 01:21 AM

It's not very frequent, and I haven't actually purged so... I don't want to worry my parrents, because I can't be seen as a problem child. They don't really beleive in psychaiatry any ways... I promise I will if it actually goes anywhere, though. Thanks for you'all's help.

"Every mushroom cloud has a silver lining"- Owl City

(#5 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Is it normal.... - July 15th 2010, 01:53 AM

Hey there,

Sometimes people purge or want to purge when they have a lot of anxiety. Sometimes it is anxiety over a situation in there life and other times it is anxiety over being too 'full'. However it is not good to succumb to the urge because it can lead to it becoming serious.

The first few times I purged I couldn't get anything up. Because I had trouble actually throwing the food up I figured it wasn't that big of a deal. However, over time it grew and became a really big problem. Don't let this become a problem.

I know that it can be hard to reach out for help but in the end it is the best thing to do. It can prevent this from becoming a big deal.

If you really don't feel like reaching out for help then I would suggest that any time you feel the need to purge you distract yourself. Do not cave in. Come onto this site, go for a small walk (30 mins or so), listen to music, read, talk to a friend or family member. It is important that you stop this before it gets to bad and not caving into the urge is the biggest way to do so.

Another thing that might help is journaling your feelings any time you feel the urge to purge. Sometimes you might just think that you want to purge because you feel to full but when you journal other feelings might come up. If you can get behind the feelings causing these urges you might be able to work on them and then the urges will die down.

I hope these suggestions help and I really hope that you will consider getting help. However I know that can be a very hard step to take.

Please hang in there and if you need anything feel free to pm me.

Jenna

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

(#6 (permalink)) Old
*Rainbow*Rider* Offline
<3
I've been here a while

Name: H

Re: Is it normal.... - July 15th 2010, 01:55 AM

Please don't let this become a habit. It ruins everything.
I'm sorry I can't be more useful, but there's my 2cents

If the world is a cold place
Make it your business to start some fires

(#7 (permalink)) Old
kadyCHAOS Offline
sleep when your dead
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: kady

Re: Is it normal.... - July 15th 2010, 04:40 PM

no hun, its not normal. i know it can be tempting but please stop trying to purge. it'll turn into an eating disorder which is so horrible for your health both physically and mentally. i tried purging for about 3 months before i actually vomitted. and then i got into bulimia for over 6 years and sometimes i still struggle with it. i know it sounds like a good idea sometimes but in the end all its going to do is cause problems.

Closed Thread