TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Eating Disorders If you or someone close to you is struggling with an eating disorder, reach out here to ask questions or to receive support for recovery.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Palmolive Offline
Purr Purr Purr.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jessie

Tests for purging? - July 27th 2010, 08:02 PM

Alright, so my councillor knows ive had/having issues with purging. a month or so back i was doing it every other day, and its calmed down alot now, and im no way near doing it as much. But aswell was wanting to keep food diaries and weighing me, she spoke to my doctor and spoke about the purging and about me having tests and scans to see if i have done any damage. If i decide to do so, i have to ring and make an appointment.

However, i have no idea whther i should or not, so i was wondering what you guys would do? And if anyone has had tests done for it?

I think im worried because i haven't long admitted about it and its scary, im not sure i want the help, im scared that something will be wrong, and im scared of it being awkward when talking to the doctor about out.

Thanks.

"Only in the dark, can you see the stars..."
Josie 12/3/2014, always in my heart. Sue 19/2/2016; Peter, Ellie, Hannah, Andy, Kirtsie RIP.

Helplink Mentor l Article writer l Forum mod l Community Mod

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Jovial. Offline
Skittles Minion.

Senior TeenHelper

Name: Trish

Re: Tests for purging? - July 27th 2010, 09:12 PM

Hey ther Jessica,

I would say that getting the test would be a good idea. It could be akward but it might be for your good. I would talk to your counseler more and see what she thinks.
  Send a message via Yahoo to Jovial.  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount31

Edit avatar

Re: Tests for purging? - July 27th 2010, 10:52 PM

Hey Jessie,

I think it would be a good idea to get yourself checked out, just to be safe. I had to through a few tests before in the past to survey for any damage done by purging. Luckily, I was fine. I did find it a little awkward talking about my habits, but remember that the doctor is not there to judge you. The questions that they may ask are simply to gain a better understanding of what went on, so that they know where to look, what to look for, etc.

If they do find something wrong, it's better to address the problem now than later when it has had the chance to worsen. They have a much better chance of successfully treating it if they catch in its earlier stages.

As for not wanting the help, I can totally relate. I know admitting to something like purging can be scary. Just try to remember that people care about and they don't want you to get sick. We want to keep you in this world for as long as possible, so that others can be touched by your inner beauty! Not to mention that talking is the first big step of recovery. In the end, it is what will set you free from all of this. People can help you, if you're willing to let them in.

Hang in there. I know it's hard, but you're strong enough! xx

Last edited by DeletedAccount31; July 28th 2010 at 11:25 AM.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Online
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Tests for purging? - July 28th 2010, 05:12 AM

Hey there,

I think that you should definitely get some tests done. I know that when I went into treatment they took some blood tests and I went to a doctor who did some feeling around on my stomach. I know there are other tests that can be done but that is all done on a case by case basis. For example, if my blood test would have shown up certain things or the doctor would have found things that were concerning they would have done some tests on my heart etc.

I am not telling you all this to scare you I am just telling you that testing would be a good idea so you can asses the damage that purging has done to your body; if there even is any. If the doctors find damage they can treat it before it gets really bad and all that.

I know about all your fears as well. I was terrified when I first sought treatment and had to get tests. A part of me was scared of what they would find, a part of me was scared I would be judged and there was a big part of me that didn't want help. However I wasn't judged and the test came back good.

As for getting help; the road to recovery is full of ups and downs and relapses happen. Recovery is very very hard but I think it is well worth it. It feels so good to be able to eat and not feel the urges and to be able to enjoy food.

Talking about it is hard but that helps too because ED likes us to keep him a secret. When you no longer keep him a secret his hold on you is not as strong.

Best of luck,

Jenna

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

(#5 (permalink)) Old
emma01 Offline
Hello :D
I've been here a while

Name: Emma

Re: Tests for purging? - July 28th 2010, 06:28 AM

Hey, I certainly think you should get tests done. I have never purged so I do not know what the 'tests' will be, but they may just be blood tests to see if your potassium levels are alright, as purging can take the potassium out of you. It would be good to see if there was any damage now, just incase it may get worse.

Closed Thread