TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Eating Disorders If you or someone close to you is struggling with an eating disorder, reach out here to ask questions or to receive support for recovery.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Zoey Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Zoey

I just Dont get it. - August 5th 2010, 05:41 PM

Hi.. Im Zoey..
Im new here and I could really use some help.. who i thought was my best friend decided to tell her mom that I never eat, which isnt true because I eat like tons, she just doesnt get it. and now since i live with them she is forcing me to eat like way more than normal. and ive been purging now for about 3 months and i have to purge like double the amount to make up for all the food that her mom is making me eat. I dont get why its such a big deal, im just trying to lose some weight before school start.. Can someone explain why shes freaking out?
I mean I get i have a problem.. but... im dealing with it fine on my own and i dont get why she had to get her mom all involved...

Thanks.. .

Last edited by Casey.; August 6th 2010 at 01:59 AM. Reason: Removing trigger tag to fit with the guidelines.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
MadPoet Offline
You're the Original <3
Outside, huh?

Name: Amanda.

Re: I just Dont get it. - August 5th 2010, 06:11 PM

Zoey,

To me it sounds like you have a serious problem. I think that it was the appropriate thing to do for your friend to tell her mom about your eating problems, and I wouldn't be angry with her for it. If you've reached the point where other people are starting to notice that your eating habits are unhealthy, to me that says that this is really something you should be concerned about.

It might seem like this is something you are in control of, like it's just a way to lose a few extra pounds, but purging is something that can have a negative effect on you for a long time. And the truth is that purging does not even help you to get rid of the calories you are taking in.

Quote:
Purging isn’t effective at getting rid of calories, which is why most people suffering with bulimia end up gaining weight over time. Vomiting immediately after eating will only eliminate 50% of the calories consumed at best—and usually much less. This is because calorie absorption begins the moment you put food in the mouth. Laxatives and diuretics are even less effective. Laxatives get rid of only 10% of the calories eaten, and diuretics do nothing at all. You may weigh less after taking them, but that lower number on the scale is due to water loss, not true weight loss.

Effects of bulimia/purging:

• Weight gain
  • Abdominal pain, bloating
  • Swelling of the hands and feet
  • Chronic sore throat, hoarseness
  • Broken blood vessels in the eyes
  • Swollen cheeks and salivary glands
  • Weakness and dizziness
  • Tooth decay and mouth sores
  • Acid reflux or ulcers
  • Ruptured stomach or esophagus
  • Loss of menstrual periods
  • Chronic constipation from laxative abuse
http://www.helpguide.org/images/eati...ia_affects.jpg
http://www.helpguide.org/mental/buli..._treatment.htm

My point is that you may think purging is something that you can do for a few months, and then give up when you've lost enough weight. But that's not the way it works. This is a serious problem, and by continuing to purge you are damaging not only your body, but your entire self esteem. To me it sounds like you're in denial that you have a problem, but to those around you it is obvious that you are struggling with your eating habits. Take a step back, look at what you've been doing to yourself. Do some research, look up the symptoms of eating disorders like bulimia. Know the facts, and see if they change your mind on what you are doing.

If you do in fact come to the conclusion that you have a problem, talk to your friend's mom, and explain to her that you need help. The food she keeps giving you is doing more harm than good, and what you need for your problem is professional help.

I know that all of this is probably not what you wanted to hear, but I hope that it helps in the long run. Your health is important, and you deserve to be taken care of and treated the right way by yourself. PM me anytime.

A lonely soul in a land of broken hearts

(#3 (permalink)) Old
emma01 Offline
Hello :D
I've been here a while

Name: Emma

Re: I just Dont get it. - August 6th 2010, 05:09 AM

She's freaking out because you are making yourself sick. You know its not normal otherwise you wouldnt have posted And you really need help because you can get really really really ill with purging. To lose weight you need to eat healthy and exercise lots, and its actually shown that purging does not make you lose any weight.

Closed Thread