TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Eating Disorders If you or someone close to you is struggling with an eating disorder, reach out here to ask questions or to receive support for recovery.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
emma01 Offline
Hello :D
I've been here a while

Name: Emma

How to stop thinking about food? - August 15th 2010, 05:17 AM

Okay, so im doing really well etc, eating when I want, I enjoy baking muffins and stuff (and eating half the mixture :P ) I've also recently put the scales away. But one thing that is still bugging me is that I still feel I am too pre-occupied with food. I seem to always be thinking about it. Not as much, and its not that I am worried about it, but it seems like as soon as I am done with one meal, im thinking about the next. And when I am hungry, I have to think what I have had all day to see if I should have it.
I have been watching old videos of me when I was like 10...and I ate and ate and ate and I didnt even care, it seems unreal that a person can NOT think about food, and I am trying to think back to how I was about a year ago, and It seems so odd to not think about food.
So my question is, how do I stop!?! Can you train yourself to stop? Ive tried flicking myself (not as in a self harming way) when I think about it, ive tried to scare myself by saying "whenever I think about food, I have to eat something" but thats unrealistic and it didnt work. I find myself often saying "Oh yay, i wasnt thinking about food then" well thats stupid because then I will be thinking about it for being happy that I wasnt...get me? But I do realise at school sometimes I am not thinking about it and I seem to be getting better, the thoughts aren't as overwhelming...but the amount I do think about it, seems not normal.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
anony mouse. Offline
I've been here a while

Re: How to stop thinking about food? - August 15th 2010, 03:28 PM

Dude, I totally get that. The thing that worked for me was hanging out with my friends and boyfriend. I found that when I was with them and they were making me laugh, I didn't even think about food. Yet when I was sitting alone at home, I started to obsess over what I had--or hadn't--eaten that day. Keep busy is my best advice. Go out and join a club, hang with your friends, pick up a hobby, make some money. Just keep yourself busy.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Jen Offline
Dance in the rain
I've been here a while

Name: Jen

Re: How to stop thinking about food? - August 16th 2010, 09:22 PM

Emma, your questions are all good ones! I'm so proud of you for the progress you're making, and the fact that you're doing such good thinking about all of this is very significant, I mean that!

I think that it takes time. The more you continue on, not using behaviors, and getting to/staying at a healthy weight, and all of that, the less your brain is going to automatically think about food. For now, it might happen a lot, and that's okay. Try not to beat yourself up for that. And think about it this way: you can't control what thoughts enter your mind, but you CAN control how you react to those thoughts. So, you might not be able to control a thought about food, but you can control whether you just acknowledge the thought and move on, or if you begin to obsess about the thought and focus on it for the rest of the day.

You can make a big difference by saying to yourself, "Oh, there's another thought...interesting. Okay, now I'm going to go do something else and think about something else"...and the more you do that, and not let the thoughts latch onto you (by obsessing over them), the less frequently they come.

Keep up the great work, Emma!

"Do not ask yourself what the world needs. Ask yourself what makes you come alive and then go do that. Because what the world needs is people who have come alive."

“if nothing changed, there’d be no butterflies”

Send a message via MSN to Jen  
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
emma01 Offline
Hello :D
I've been here a while

Name: Emma

Re: How to stop thinking about food? - August 18th 2010, 06:09 AM

Thankyou both for your replies! @ Desert yes I find keeping busy does help! Thanks!
@ Jen, lol thankyou, and yes I am sure in time I will be a lot better. I do feel I react to the thoughts better, like before as soon as I thought about food it was there all day, and then I spend the day debating whether I need to eat or not, now it's just when I think about food, I think if I am actually hungry...and if I am, I tell myself to eat stuff...but if not, I just try and keep myself busy

Closed Thread