TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Eating Disorders If you or someone close to you is struggling with an eating disorder, reach out here to ask questions or to receive support for recovery.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
VampirePrincess Offline
Ice Princess
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Crystal

So Overweight...Help? - August 16th 2010, 02:59 AM

I've always thought I had a fairly healthy diet. I have severe food allergies to just about everything, so I'm pretty good at portion control (I have to eat some things I'm allergic to, I wouldn't be able to survive otherwise, so I monitor how much of them I eat), and I mainly eat vegetables (the only thing I'm not allergic to).

I gained a few pounds at first, but I just thought it was because I was eating so much - it felt so good to not get really sick after every meal!

It's been about a year, I was never able to take the weight off, and now over the past 2 months I have gained so much weight that I had to buy tons of new pants, several sizes up from normal.

I've been wondering where I went wrong. Perhaps the lack of exercise? But I had a broken foot...how was I supposed to run and jump with a broken foot? In fact I'm still not actually clear from that, although I have doctor's permission to do things normally after this week.

The other thing I'm wondering is, do I have an eating disorder? For the past week I have been hungry nonstop. I know that it takes a while for our brains to get the message that we've had food, so after I eat a meal I'll typically wait about an hour. But I'll still be hungry, so I'll eat a snack. This time I'll wait a half hour. And I'll still be really hungry. It's terrible, I hate myself every time I start to eat.

I figure, if I don't have an eating disorder, at least my snacks are healthy (I eat carrots, celery, and sometimes crackers for snacks), and maybe if I exercise enough I can keep the weight down...

But I am so overweight right now I have no idea where to even begin. I don't favor a traditional diet because of my allergies, but if someone could give me a few ideas for weight loss I would be extremely grateful...

{{sending PINTEREST invites! just ask!}}

Volume of a Doughnut
V = 2(pi)^2 * R(r)^2

(#2 (permalink)) Old
ponygirl733 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: So Overweight...Help? - August 16th 2010, 04:48 AM

I would talk to your doctor. First, there could be something medical wrong with you. A lot of medical problems cause weight gain without overeating and/or constant hunger. Have you been on any new medication recently? Medications can have symtoms like that.
If there are no medical problems, it seems like you could be obsessing over food, although I wouldn't say you have an eating disorder yet (I don't know your situation well, though). Your doctor could suggest people to help with that, too.

Good luck

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Jen Offline
Dance in the rain
I've been here a while

Name: Jen

Re: So Overweight...Help? - August 16th 2010, 09:25 PM

Hey Christine,

The best advice any of us can give you is to talk with your doctor. Because of your food allergies, it's especially important that a doctor/nutritionist/etc. is helping you with meeting your dietary needs without going too much over or under them. They can also help you figure out an exercise plan that is healthy and safe for your body. It sounds like you do a great job of working to take care of yourself, so talking with a doctor and other medical professionals is just one more great thing you can do to help take care of you and your body!

"Do not ask yourself what the world needs. Ask yourself what makes you come alive and then go do that. Because what the world needs is people who have come alive."

“if nothing changed, there’d be no butterflies”

Send a message via MSN to Jen  
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
VampirePrincess Offline
Ice Princess
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Crystal

Re: So Overweight...Help? - August 17th 2010, 02:02 AM

Hi guys,

Thanks for the advice, but I'm done with doctors. They've done more harm than good in my life, and I'm not giving them the chance to screw me up again when I'm finally happy. I was hoping for some general advice that didn't include speaking to anyone in the medical profession.

{{sending PINTEREST invites! just ask!}}

Volume of a Doughnut
V = 2(pi)^2 * R(r)^2

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Sarahh9 Offline
Average Joe

Name: Sarah

Re: So Overweight...Help? - August 23rd 2010, 05:53 AM

You should really go to the doctor because if youre eating as healthy as you are, and youre at leaving MOVING during the day you should not be gaining that much weight. It might have nothing to do with your exercise habits or eating, and be something you couldnt control. You could have thyroid disease or something. And if youre allergic to that many things you should be taking vitamin suppliments to replace the things you cant eat.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Casey. Offline
Dance with me
I can't get enough

Name: Casey

Re: So Overweight...Help? - August 26th 2010, 04:22 AM

Christine,

Are you on any medications? Because certain medications have a side effect that will make you gain weight. As for feeling hungry, well chances are your body is still changing, it will keep changing until you are about 23-25, so maybe your metabolism is speeding up. The best thing to do is eat several small meals throughout the course of a day. Also, when you are able, start doing things like taking short walks, and just build that up. Not only will it help, but it will also help you gain strength back in your ankle.

She whispered to her own reflection "I will be strong."

"I am not what has happened to me.I am what I have chosen to become."- Carl Jung

"If ye harm none, do as ye wish."

Sometimes things just happen.

Smile through the tears.

PM me

Send a message via Yahoo to Casey.  
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
rfalangie Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: So Overweight...Help? - August 28th 2010, 09:28 PM

it is normal for weight to fluctuate though life. The main ages in a woman's life if puberty, pregnancy, and menopause. Hormones cause rapid weight changes. If you started a birth control or menarche recently it would be very normal. Your body will naturally tell you what it need. A large portion of the time your body tells you that it is hungry, it is actually thirsty. Make sure you are drinking enough water through the day (not juice or sports drinks; just pure H2O). Drinking before and after meals will help digestion and over eating. Eating when you are bored is common too. Make sure to keep busy during the day not just watching TV, internet, etc. These times are very common for "snack attacks". Enjoy your life being a smart beautiful woman!!

Closed Thread