TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Eating Disorders If you or someone close to you is struggling with an eating disorder, reach out here to ask questions or to receive support for recovery.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
DarkSeph Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Liam

Unhappy Worried about gf - August 16th 2010, 09:20 PM

So, I'm writing this thread because I'm a little worried about my gf and could really do with some opinions or advice. She wrote a thread a few weeks ago about an ED.

http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f15-e...s-resurfacing/

However, since then it's become a lot worse and unfortunately the worse it is, the less she seems to feel it's a problem, though I'm fairly certain it does worry her. My initial reaction was to try to do a lot of research online about ED's and the negative effects of not eating and to support her in beating it, but it didn't really help much. Her family is rather unsupportive and her CPN believes it's all in her head =/

She eats roughly once every 1-3 days, and even then it's usually just a biscuit or a bite of a sandwich. She's very happy about losing weight, but has passed out at least twice from it. She's also suffering a lot from depression at the moment. However, she firmly believes there's no risks and she'll be fine if she continues on like this indefinitely. She has also started to exercise a lot.

My own understanding is that at least 3 healthy meals a day is the absolute minimum to avoid medical risks. Not counting any excessive exercise at all. Naturally it worries me quite a lot. I think some opinions from others would help her a lot though. If I'm wrong tell me.

So my question is... is this an ED? And if so, what are the negative health risks from eating as little as she does. Any advice is much appreciated too.

Also any support for her would be much appreciated, she seems to believe she troubles people or they'd get sick of her, so I'd really like to prove to her how awesome she really is, and how much she is truly appreciated here and will always have friends on TH who are happy to be there for her anytime

Currently inactive...

Last edited by DarkSeph; August 16th 2010 at 10:20 PM.
  Send a message via MSN to DarkSeph  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
*weepingstar* Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: whats in a name?

Re: Worried about gf - August 18th 2010, 10:44 PM

this is def classified as an eating disorder. this also scares me alot. theres so much i could say, being in that position myself at one point. what she needs to realise is that as she's refusing to eat, her body will start eating away at its own muscles, and eventually organs and such as well. espically as she exercises. her body will not be able to handle this much physical stress for very long, as her energy level will begin to drop dramatically (if it hasnt already). if she does not begin to eat on her own she WILL eventually have to be hospitalised regardless of whos support she has or doesnt have, and then shes gonna have to eat, even if she refuses, they have severall unpleasant ways of getting nutrience to the body once she's reached that point. and prob further hospitalization. the only reason i know this is cuz i was totally there and my bf did all this research and made me read it. really pissed me off, but it prob saved my life. so what it ultimatly comes down to is eating a little now, or ending up n the hospital being forcefed later. like all it takes is a little bit. she totally doesnt have to start eating 3 meals a day (although thats whats really best), just a snack, some fruit or vegetable. carrots and celery are actually the perfect diet food, if she'd be willing to try it. they basically give your body the viamans and stuff it needs, but it doesnt have enough substance to actually add and carbs or calories or anything to you. so no weight gain, but it should stop you from passing out and stuff like that. really really worried. this can get super super dangerous if not cared for the proper way.

Closed Thread