TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Eating Disorders If you or someone close to you is struggling with an eating disorder, reach out here to ask questions or to receive support for recovery.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Anonymity Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Anonymous

How can I make myself hungry? - August 17th 2010, 01:10 PM

I was dealing with bulimia a couple years back, but I eventually overcame it and started living a fairly healthy lifestyle. A few weeks ago, though, my bf dumped me and it kind of made me regress a bit. Rather than binging and purging, I'm now just not eating at all. I'm not hungry. I make my favorite foods, but if I can somehow motivate myself to take a bite it just makes me feel sick and I end up throwing it out. This morning, I thought that maybe if I worked out a bit it would build up my appetite, but no luck. So I need help. How do I make myself hungry? I know that if I get hungry enough I'll eat, but I can't seem to get hungry. Help?

and if you should hear the cries and calls
through the thinnest of the walls
don't you get yourself so blue
it's just the sound of me getting over you

(#2 (permalink)) Old
anony mouse. Offline
I've been here a while

Re: How can I make myself hungry? - August 17th 2010, 03:11 PM

I'm pretty sure this has something to do with your current emotional state. After a breakup, a lot of people don't feel like eating or sleeping, etc. I would suggest trying to get over him as much as you can. Once you don't feel quite as sad, your appetite should come back. :]

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Anonymity Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Anonymous

Re: How can I make myself hungry? - August 18th 2010, 06:06 AM

I'm sure a lot of it does have to do with the break up, especially since he's the one who helped me get over my ED in the first place. The thing is, I'm scared of how much weight I'm losing and I need a way to make myself eat now.

and if you should hear the cries and calls
through the thinnest of the walls
don't you get yourself so blue
it's just the sound of me getting over you

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Casey. Offline
Dance with me
I can't get enough

Name: Casey

Re: How can I make myself hungry? - August 19th 2010, 04:07 AM

Well, you could try forcing yourself to eat, but chances are your body might reject it. I do have an idea you could try, it might help and it can't hurt.Tell yourself over and over again that you don't need him to be okay, you can be healthy without him, that you are beautiful just as you are. Write it on notes and stick them in places where you will see them daily. Also, try eating things high in protein, it will help keep you from losing too much weight too fast. Just keep trying, keep making your favourite foods, and try to eat them. If you have to force yourself, then do so. I used to have to do that, and I used to have a mantra going through my head 'I will not throw up, I will not throw up, I will not throw up.' It actually helped.

If you need anything, feel free to pm me.

She whispered to her own reflection "I will be strong."

"I am not what has happened to me.I am what I have chosen to become."- Carl Jung

"If ye harm none, do as ye wish."

Sometimes things just happen.

Smile through the tears.

PM me

Send a message via Yahoo to Casey.  
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Jen Offline
Dance in the rain
I've been here a while

Name: Jen

Re: How can I make myself hungry? - August 21st 2010, 04:15 PM

I'm really proud of you for working so hard to take care of yourself throughout all of this. That shows how dedicated you are to keeping yourself healthy!

Casey gave you some great ideas. Another suggestion that's worked for me in the past is to try and see which types of foods are easier to go down than others. For me at least, if I have no appetite, trying to eat a heavy meal just makes it worse...but I'd be able to drink. So I'd make protein shakes and smoothies and things, because then all I had to do was take sips instead of chewing and all, you know? So see if liquids are easier--or maybe chewy things are easier, or dry things, etc. Play around with different types of foods and you WILL find ones that work better than others.

Distraction also helps--so watch tv, or read a book, or something, while you're eating, and it'll help your body concentrate on whatever you're doing so you don't feel as sick! And overall, just remind yourself, you CAN do this, you CAN eat, you will NOT get sick.

You can do it!

"Do not ask yourself what the world needs. Ask yourself what makes you come alive and then go do that. Because what the world needs is people who have come alive."

“if nothing changed, there’d be no butterflies”

Send a message via MSN to Jen  
Closed Thread