TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Eating Disorders If you or someone close to you is struggling with an eating disorder, reach out here to ask questions or to receive support for recovery.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Jess-10 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Jess

Angry Waste of time - February 17th 2009, 03:40 PM

Hey!
Ok so I'm back after being stuck in hospital on an ng tube for a few weeks. That was the dr's attempt at treating my anorexia, which I seem to go back and forth between being able to accept and then totally denying, depending on where I'm at. My ideal weight is VERY different to what the dr's say I should weigh. I discharged myself yesterday and although my physical health may be a little better, emotionally, nothing has really changed because they didn't even look at that side of things which is of no help at all. My cpn is off sick atm and I have no idea when she will be back at work, it could be tomorrow or next week or the week after. I'm due to see her next wednesday so I'm hoping she'll be well enough to return to work by then, if not I don't know what I'm going to do for support because getting my physical health out of the danger zone without being able to look at the underlying reasons behind all this which is what I've been doing with my cpn is pointless and in the 24 hrs since I dischaged myself from hospital I haven't been able to eat a thing.
To add to what's already going on, my uncle of cancer died on wednesday =[
I feel really stuck and don't know how to get out of this mess.
Take care, Jess

Be who you are and say how you feel, those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind ~ Dr. Seuss

Not the same, not different.
Unique!

Need an ear or a shoulder...

pm me anytime!

(#2 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Name: Rachel

Re: Waste of time - February 17th 2009, 04:04 PM

Jess,

It really does sound like you're very angry at the moment from the lack of help you have recieved. The thing is Jess, that the hospital have to treat your physical problems before they can start to work on the emotional side of things. Also, when you start to gain weight, people often find that the emotional side of things improves too. You said you were on an NG tube which makes me believe that you were not cooperating and you can't expect to improve if you're not going to cooperate. I very much doubt that they weren't offering you 1-2-1 sessions with your allocated nurse and perhaps other therapy, but their primary role is to make sure you are healthy and they have to do this before they can work on the emotional side of things. I would ask you to reconsider discharging yourself and see if you can go back, because it seems to me like very little has changed and you're likely to be back in the 'danger zone' very fast, and that will just lead you back into hospital and back on an NG tube. I've been on an NG tube and I am certain it's not an exprience you'd like to repeat.

I hope your CPN gets better too, it's important to have them their to talk to. I am really sorry to hear about your Uncle.

Rachel

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Jess-10 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Jess

Re: Waste of time - February 17th 2009, 11:22 PM

Hey Rachel,
If I'm honest I'd have to say I'm more angry with myself than anyone else. As for 1-2-1 sessions with my allocated nurse, I wasn't offered that. For the most part on was on a medical ward and the staff were always very busy. What I did have the option of was occupational therapy, which was all group based. I attended art and the young persons support group. The dept was close to the ward, a couple of times I also spoke to the head of OT because I found her the most approachable person there. Other than that the only other people I spoke to were my team who I saw once a week in ward round, which I found quite difficult and intimidating.
I hear what you're saying but as for going back in, I have a son and it just isn't an option. I just need to work harder at getting to the root of it all and hope it helps.
Jess

Be who you are and say how you feel, those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind ~ Dr. Seuss

Not the same, not different.
Unique!

Need an ear or a shoulder...

pm me anytime!

(#4 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Name: Rachel

Re: Waste of time - February 18th 2009, 01:22 AM

Hey, if you were on a medical ward rather than in a treatment centre the chances are that they were actually only aiming to treat you physically (I can't say for sure, but from my experience that would be my assumption). I understand you have commitments with your son and therefore I urge you to work as hard as you can to get better -- this means you have to stick to your meal plan -- for your son's sake as well as your own. He needs his mummy!

Rachel x

Closed Thread