TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Eating Disorders If you or someone close to you is struggling with an eating disorder, reach out here to ask questions or to receive support for recovery.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
charmbraceletxo Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Excessive weight gain :[ - September 2nd 2010, 05:44 AM

Hey guys! I used to post on here quite regularly, but seeing as how I've been undergoing some interesting life changes, I haven't exactly had the time/space. Anyway, I used to have an eating disorder (approximately 3 years ago--it had been an ongoing thing for several years...beginning rather mildly and manifesting into something pretty awful later on into my adolescence). Anyway, I'm now recovered (both from this AND self-injury), have an amazing boyfriend, am going to my ~*~dream~*~ school (USC!--go TROJANS :]), and for once in my life, feel relatively self-satisfied. Nevertheless, having to acclimate to this whole "college" lifestyle has been rather difficult (the demographic discrepancies, stark differences in socioeconomic stance, etc., etc. are striking)...and to be candid, I tend to feel that I don't exactly fit in. Over the course of the past two years or so, I've gained a noticeable [Edited by Jen]--placing me at an undesirable weight (medically and appearance-wise). I used to be pretty slender (although I'm "chesty"--and having packed on a few extra pounds has made this incredibly discomforting...), and despite my attempts at exercising and eating a bit less, the weight still hasn't come off :/ This whole situation is leaving me severely depressed--and, needless to say, I've contemplated employing old "habit-forming" weight-loss mechanisms in an attempt to finally kick some of this weight off...and to, most importantly, make me feel GOOD about myself once again. I'm really struggling right now...and becoming, let's say, "socially withdrawn" hasn't been particularly conducive to my sense of well-being. My boyfriend is incredibly supportive, but granted that he struggles with weight issues himself, I can't exactly look to him to amend my problems (as I couldn't do, regardless). He insists that I need to stop eating so "unhealthy" (which I do) and start making healthier life choices, but in all honesty, I used to eat unhealthful foods before (I was just always vigilant in terms of keeping track of my calories) and NEVER had a problem. Does anyone have any words of wisdom? Or, perhaps, is anyone having a similar experience? Any help/support would be much appreciated!

Last edited by Jen; September 2nd 2010 at 12:30 PM. Reason: Please do not post weight/calorie numbers; it's against the Terms of Service.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Batman. Offline
Protector of Gotham
I can't get enough

Name: Julz

Re: Excessive weight gain :[ - September 2nd 2010, 08:44 AM

Perhaps your boyfriend is right about the healthy foods. Keep in mind, your metabolism can change over the years, affecting your ability to gain or lose weight.

Maybe start snacking healthier, and walking more places? For example, say you need some grocery items, and the store is 20-30 minutes away, walk it instead of bussing/driving? You know what I mean?

Don't worry about the weight though, your boyfriend's opinion should be the one that matters the most, as well as yours. Plus, stressing about it can make it worse. I noticed when I stopped weighing myself, I lost weight easier.

Dare to be Different, to be Weird, to be a Freak.
Overall, Dare to be yourself.

Stamp Out Prejudice Hatred and Intolerance Everywhere
The Sophie Lancaster Foundation

(#3 (permalink)) Old
charmbraceletxo Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Excessive weight gain :[ - September 2nd 2010, 06:13 PM

Hey there--actually, I don't have a car...so I do walk everywhere, already. I feel that the more I walk, the fatter I become. Could drinking excessive water (after having used to drink soda all the time) be a contributing factor?

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Batman. Offline
Protector of Gotham
I can't get enough

Name: Julz

Re: Excessive weight gain :[ - September 2nd 2010, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmbraceletxo View Post
Hey there--actually, I don't have a car...so I do walk everywhere, already. I feel that the more I walk, the fatter I become. Could drinking excessive water (after having used to drink soda all the time) be a contributing factor?
Actually, depends on how much water. I mean, if you're drinking like, 12 bottles of water a day, it may be turning into water weight, but that depends on how your body works.

Soda is fattening, whereas water isn't, so unless you're way over-doing it, you shouldn't have an issue.

Though, I don't get how walking would make you fat.

Dare to be Different, to be Weird, to be a Freak.
Overall, Dare to be yourself.

Stamp Out Prejudice Hatred and Intolerance Everywhere
The Sophie Lancaster Foundation

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Verità Offline
Formerly KeeperOfMysteries
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Alice

Re: Excessive weight gain :[ - September 5th 2010, 04:38 AM

Little changes go a long way. Diet Soda instead of regular, healthier snacks, and I heard that eating small snacks throughout the day is better for your metabolism as well, I recommend you try them out

’Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
Did gyre and gimble in the wabe;
All mimsy were the borogoves,
And the [mome raths] outgrabe.

Closed Thread