TeenHelp

TeenHelp (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/)
-   Eating Disorders (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f15-eating-disorders/)
-   -   How to tell someone you think you have an eating disorder? (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f15-eating-disorders/t54118-how-tell-someone-you-think-you-have-eating-disorder/)

iloveyou5 September 5th 2010 04:21 AM

How to tell someone you think you have an eating disorder?

I seriously think I have a eating disorder, I don't know what to do I want to get help before it gets to bad but I just don't know how or who to turn too anymore... So anything would help please:(

Verità September 5th 2010 04:34 AM

Re: How to tell someone you think you have an eating disorder?

I think you should tell someone you definitely know and trust, and I usually find the best way to say it is to just, well, say it. Then tell the person why you think that way, and appeal for help. As to who to turn to, perhaps a parent, a friend, or a school counselor?

iloveyou5 September 5th 2010 04:46 AM

okay I'll try, it's just really nerve racking.. Cause I don't know what people are going to say.

Verità September 5th 2010 04:49 AM

Well you don't have to tell EVERYONE. Just tell one person you trust, that's all. I'm sure they'll help you :)

iloveyou5 September 5th 2010 05:09 AM

Yeah I'll try..

Verità September 5th 2010 05:12 AM

Good luck! :)

ForgottenMemories September 6th 2010 11:10 AM

Just to add, why not try writing it down if it's easter? Sometimes that can help because you don't have to say it out loud or even be there when they read it?

It is a lot easier if someone knows because they can be there to support you. Dealing with something like this on your own is a real challenge, and a challenge that isn't always successfull. Good luck, let us know how it goes.

Here if you need anything!

Palmolive September 6th 2010 02:06 PM

Hey there

Im sorry you have found yourself in this situation. I can understand how hard it must be for you right now.

Its always good confide in someone who you know and trust. It might be a lot less 'awkward' because you trust them! People will understand and be there for you. People are there to help, you just have to let them in.

As already said, if saying it aloud seems to scary, writing it down is definitely a good was forward. Either way, just start of my simply saying 'I'm struggling to eat', or something along the lines. I would think from then on, the other person will ask questions and you will just have to answer.

You have family who you can talk to, doctors, a school nurse or even a teacher if you are in any sort of education.

Just keep your chin up. I hope it goes alright!
-Jessie