TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Eating Disorders If you or someone close to you is struggling with an eating disorder, reach out here to ask questions or to receive support for recovery.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Elizabeth Offline
Just keep swimming!
I've been here a while

Name: Elizabeth

Swimming - February 18th 2009, 08:10 PM

I just started swimming for the school last week. It was very stressed about the way I would look in a bathing suit. The first day in the locker room, a girl who I look up to a lot said Wow, I didn't realize how thin you are! It made my day and as happy as a was, it scared me that I was that happy. My heart was jumping and the whole time I was thinking, Someone called you thin! As recovering from an eating disorder, I felt like this was a set back. I havn't told anyone, but I now feel more comfortable in a bathing suit.
Should I feel happy? I feel guilty and proud. I'm confused.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
glittermist Offline
Modal Soul
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Lisa

Re: Swimming - February 18th 2009, 09:23 PM

Hi there Elizabeth!
I think because you are recovering from an ED, it's normal to still possess ED-type thoughts. The important thing is that you still talk about your feelings and don't surpress them and that you try your best to eat healthily. That person may not have realised that you suffer from an ED and therefore didn't know her comment would affect you in this way.

If you are happy with the way you look and if you are healthy, then there is no reason why you shouldn't feel happy about yourself actually. If you are starving yourself and are noticably unhealthy yet you like this; then that is worrying. Try your best to stay firmly on the road to recovery!

x

& it's just like she's in another world.
[<3]

(#3 (permalink)) Old
udontno Offline
</3?
I can't get enough

Name: Amanda Kate

Re: Swimming - February 19th 2009, 02:59 AM

I remember the first time I went swimming when I had my ED. It was nightmarish because I was so concerned about how I looked in my swimsuit. I really think all that matters is how you feel in your swimsuit. Are you currently seeking help for your eating disorder? If not, I really think you should be because it really could help you in the long run.

If anyone comments on you in your swimsuit, I would just honestly say that I would appreciate it if they didn't comment on that from now on. You might not want to be vocal that you are recovering from an eating disorder, but that will stop the comments. These girls are on your team and chances are you will be spending a lot of time with these girls. They will become your friends and they will be seeing a lot of you. Chances are that the truth will come out in the end so you might as well be upfront with the fact that you have issues with your weight and body image at least, in order to keep comments like that at bay.

--A

(#4 (permalink)) Old
St.Vincent Offline
Edna
I've been here a while

Name: Edna

Re: Swimming - February 19th 2009, 09:19 AM

I agree with Amanda. Tell them that you're recovering from an ED and you would prefer they not talk about your weight with you because it might be triggering.

Go you though, for recovery. I'm glad you're feeling more comfortable.

I am waylaid by Beauty. Who will walk
Between me and the crying of the frogs?

(My PM box is always open.. if I can't help you, I'll find someone who can)

(#5 (permalink)) Old
eunoia Offline
(n) beautiful thinking
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jes

Re: Swimming - February 20th 2009, 06:51 PM

Elizabeth,

As has been said, I reckon it's pretty normal to feel pleased that someone has complimented on your looks. It's totally okay to ask your teammates not to talk about weight/size/whatever, though.

Congratulations on recovery and good luck too, I know it's a difficult road. Remember where to come if you need support or advice and I'm always around if you want to talk privately.

Someday I will be strong enough to lift not one but both of us.
I told you to be patient
I told you to be fine
I told you to be balanced
I told you to be kind

Closed Thread