TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Eating Disorders If you or someone close to you is struggling with an eating disorder, reach out here to ask questions or to receive support for recovery.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Tiny_93 Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Z

Binge Eating? - September 30th 2010, 08:43 AM

This thread has been labeled as triggering by the original poster or by a Moderator. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

Ok, so I've struggled with anorexia for a long time. I recovered, but just lately, I've been dealing with things that are way beyond my maturity level!

But I've only just come to realise that it's a new form of controlling my eating that I'm doing. I'm going without food all day - not on purpose, I just really don't have the appettite. But then come like 3-4ish in the morning (I don't sleep much) it's like I'm hungry, but I don't want anything to big? If that makes sense. But before I know eat, I've eaten so many packets of crisps, and junk food etc. And then force it up because I feel guilty.

Now I know they're the signs of Bulimia, but is it really? I'm in a nast cycle, and don't know how to get out of it...

SH Free since:
22/12/09

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Jen Offline
Dance in the rain
I've been here a while

Name: Jen

Re: Binge Eating? - September 30th 2010, 01:02 PM

Hey Laura,

There have been many posts here about the cycle of binge eating--it might be helpful for you, to look through older posts in the forum and see if you can get some advice from replies that previous members got!

Here's the deal with the binge eating: when you deprive your body of food, it gets starving. And it starts thinking, "I'm so hungry, I need food, but it looks like I'm never going to get it because she keeps starving me." Then, when you decide to have a small snack or something, you start eating and your body then thinks, "Oh my goodness, she's feeding me! I thought this would never happen! Quick, I'd better eat as much as I can because I have to make up for what I didn't get, and also, who knows when she'll next feed me!" So then you end up binging. And then you feel yucky from binging so the next day you restrict. And the cycle starts all over again.

So, the way to stop this: to eat more regularly. If you eat several times a day, meals and snacks, even if they're smaller, you'll be much less likely to binge, because your body will start to trust you again that you WILL feed it regularly, so it won't feel the need to a) make up for what it didn't get, and b) what it's assuming it won't get for a while.

I know it's scary to think about eating regularly....but it is absolutely worth it, it will help you break the cycle and overall help you just feel better!

Take care of yourself.

"Do not ask yourself what the world needs. Ask yourself what makes you come alive and then go do that. Because what the world needs is people who have come alive."

“if nothing changed, there’d be no butterflies”

Send a message via MSN to Jen  
Closed Thread