TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

  • Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!


Eating Disorders If you or someone close to you is struggling with an eating disorder, reach out here to ask questions or to receive support for recovery.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  (#1 (permalink)) Old
ARTPOP Offline
Member
I've been here a while
********
 
ARTPOP's Avatar
 
Name: :)
Gender: Female
Location: Everywhere

Posts: 1,283
Blog Entries: 1
Join Date: September 9th 2010

Unhappy I don't get ED? - November 11th 2010, 12:01 PM

I just don't get it. I know girls suffer , but I'm weird and don't understand HOW anyone could starve themselves. I mean , yer I get ill and avoid food for 24-or 48 hours , but I hate that! I'm not happy with my body image , but I wouldn't starve myself to achive 'perfection'
I'm not fat , but even if i was I couldn't do it. You gotta have some guts I guess , ok norexia nervosa sufferers are in pain and stuff , bnjut they got guts.

But the world would be simpler without ED
   
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Jesus Christ. Offline
Führer of the sausage people
I can't get enough
*********
 
Jesus Christ.'s Avatar
 
Gender: Male

Posts: 2,301
Join Date: January 6th 2009

Re: I don't get ED? - November 11th 2010, 01:12 PM

Males can suffer from EDs as well as girls. The term also applies to cases on the other end of the spectrum as well I believe
And it's more of a mental problem than a physical problem I assume, I guess to some it's like an addiction that's really hard to kick. I guess it like self harm in many respects.
There are a lot of things a lot of people don't understand, but unfortunatly we can't just click our fingers and have them disappear.
   
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
emma01 Offline
Hello :D
I've been here a while
********
 
emma01's Avatar
 
Name: Emma
Age: 24
Gender: Female
Location: New Zealand

Posts: 1,386
Join Date: October 5th 2009

Re: I don't get ED? - November 12th 2010, 03:10 AM

Do you know, before I got anorexia, I thought the EXACT same as you. In fact, even my friend who last year was on a diet (a healthy one) had cut down junk food a little bit, and I said to a friend "I dont know how she eats so little all day, I could never do that!" Little did I know, 3 months later...what she ate appeared to be a lot to me, as I ate NOTHING.

When I was at the worst of my ED, a friend told me I was absolutely nutty and she could never ever ever do it, now she herself has an eating disorder.

I guess you could see it like an addiction, I mean I don't see how people can make themselves sick. (I never did this, I just restricted and exercised) but people do. When ED sufferers do things like this, we aren't thinking very straight, and the feeling of control over not eating, is way more satisfying than the thought of food. And gaining weight is so damn scary, I swear I would eat an apple and then panic because I would stand in the mirror and look fatter than I did 5 minutes prior to eating that apple. Its absolutely horrible, you should thank the heavens you are normal Your life is pretty much taken over by food when you have an eating disorder, without a word of a lie I thought about food all day, and I mean it...all day.

Its really understandable that you don't understand, I mean its not something we choose to do, you'll either get an ED or you wont, and if you dont you will never really know what its like.

PS...I reckon anorexia sufferers have a hell of a lot of guts
   
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Member
Not a n00b
**
 
skydivers-in-reverse's Avatar
 
Name: Jessica
Age: 27
Gender: Female
Location: Estados Unidos

Posts: 52
Blog Entries: 7
Join Date: October 8th 2010

Re: I don't get ED? - November 12th 2010, 06:15 PM

Starvation is a really awful painful ordeal, but the feeling after I ate was worse than not eating all together.

It really is more of a mental illness, you're supressing probably your most basic and natural instinct. However, people who do not have EDs fast all the time for all sorts of reason, from health to spiritual purposes. It's not so much abstaining from food, it's the horrible self-image, the guilt, the conflicted feelings that drive us to do awful things. When I was at my worst, I was afraid to consume anything but water, and too weak to get up to do that so often. I missed a lot of school, and getting up to take a shower without passing out or puking from having nothing but stomach acid in me was an absolute struggle. Sometimes I wonder why I'm not as strong as I was then, but then I realize I was anything but strong. My body broke down, I was terrified of everything and had gotten paranoid, I alienated myself(so people would not see that I wasn't eating) and I turned into a liar. I was at my weakest.

I think people who acknowledge their insecurities in realistic, healthy ways are stronger than I am.





Respect the delicate ecology of your delusions
   
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Member
Junior TeenHelper
****
 
SuperBrunetteCutie4Ever's Avatar
 
Name: Alisha
Age: 24
Gender: Female
Location: BC, Canada

Posts: 277
Join Date: April 10th 2009

Re: I don't get ED? - November 12th 2010, 06:16 PM

For me, it wasn't bad because I've always hated eating in general. It's just that later it became about loosing weight and now, in some ways I want to change but it's also become second nature for me.


Everthing I see seems to be a lie. And everything you see in me you think is the truth. But, really all you see is what I'm masking the real me with. You never see me cry. Because I'll never let you. And you'll never see me die because I feel like I already have in a way.

   
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Kumagoro Offline
Formerly ChaosControl
I've been here a while
********
 
Kumagoro's Avatar
 
Age: 27
Gender: Female
Location: UK

Posts: 1,567
Blog Entries: 14
Join Date: March 30th 2009

Re: I don't get ED? - November 12th 2010, 07:58 PM

Starvation isn't a nice thing for anybody to experience. But ED sufferers can see it as a goal, a coping mechanism, or a way of release. It isn't pleasant at all, but they go through it all because they think it's worth it and see it as an achievement.

EDs primarily develop from the way we think. Like Emma says, you're lucky you don't seem to think that way - although it's dangerously easy to fall into the excessive diet trap. Keep smiling and stay strong - I'm sure you're beautiful and don't need to worry about your body shape.




   
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
Member
Average Joe
***
 
xx_fallenangel_xx's Avatar
 
Name: Anne
Age: 24
Gender: Female

Posts: 127
Join Date: August 2nd 2010

Re: I don't get ED? - November 15th 2010, 09:43 PM

A main reason that I and someone else I know starve themselves is not because we do not want to eat. It is because we believe that by starving ourselves we will become better thinking. this is the distorted thinking that we suffer from.


"Pretty, pretty please, don't you ever, ever feel like you're less than, less than perfect. Pretty, pretty please, if you ever, ever feel like your nothing, you are perfect to me."
-Pink (Perfect)
"Because you are precious in my eyes and glorious, and because I love you, I give men in return for you and peoples in exchange for your life." -Isaiah 43:4
   
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
emma01 Offline
Hello :D
I've been here a while
********
 
emma01's Avatar
 
Name: Emma
Age: 24
Gender: Female
Location: New Zealand

Posts: 1,386
Join Date: October 5th 2009

Re: I don't get ED? - November 16th 2010, 12:25 AM

Oh yea fallenangel is totally right, when I starved myself I always wanted to eat, I wished I could eat so bad...but the thought of putting calories in me was terrifying, the feeling of being in control of my life just felt so good. Although in reality I look back and know I was totally out of control. I look back and dont know how the hell I did it...lol ive been eating all day today LOL Says me sitting here munching on an apple :P
   
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
ARTPOP Offline
Member
I've been here a while
********
 
ARTPOP's Avatar
 
Name: :)
Gender: Female
Location: Everywhere

Posts: 1,283
Blog Entries: 1
Join Date: September 9th 2010

Thumbs down Re: I don't get ED? - November 16th 2010, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xx_fallenangel_xx View Post
A main reason that I and someone else I know starve themselves is not because we do not want to eat. It is because we believe that by starving ourselves we will become better thinking. this is the distorted thinking that we suffer from.
So you do it in a group? Like arranged? Thats a bit like a cult though , an anorexia cult O_o

Last edited by ARTPOP; November 16th 2010 at 11:32 AM.
   
  (#10 (permalink)) Old
ARTPOP Offline
Member
I've been here a while
********
 
ARTPOP's Avatar
 
Name: :)
Gender: Female
Location: Everywhere

Posts: 1,283
Blog Entries: 1
Join Date: September 9th 2010

Re: I don't get ED? - November 16th 2010, 11:32 AM

[quote=Smiley;521065]So you do it in a group? Like arranged? Thats a bit like a cult though , an anorexia cult O_o Do they even exist. If so that fuels my opinion of this illness , it is very strange quote]
   
  (#11 (permalink)) Old
Kumagoro Offline
Formerly ChaosControl
I've been here a while
********
 
Kumagoro's Avatar
 
Age: 27
Gender: Female
Location: UK

Posts: 1,567
Blog Entries: 14
Join Date: March 30th 2009

Re: I don't get ED? - November 16th 2010, 09:13 PM

I wouldn't really call it a cult, but anorexics often distance themselves (or feel separated) from other people, people who don't understand or encourage their eating disorder. It's really quite heartbreaking, but they do it because ultimately they don't want to recover. Even if they do, the urge to be thin is so much stronger, and they don't let anybody prevent them from starving themselves.

I don't think fallenangel necessarily meant anorexic groups, but that's my attempt at explaining why anorexics might associate and spend more time with other anorexics. To them it poses less of a threat to their weight, their mindset and their self-control, and so they may withdraw from their non-anorexic social group.




   
  (#12 (permalink)) Old
palmtoptiger Offline
Flawlessly Imperfect
Not a n00b
**
 
palmtoptiger's Avatar
 
Name: Juliet
Age: 23
Gender: Female
Location: Wonderland

Posts: 86
Blog Entries: 16
Join Date: November 20th 2010

Re: I don't get ED? - November 20th 2010, 08:32 PM

Sometimes an ED is not anorexia or bulima. Nocturnal eating and emotional eating (both of which I suffer from) are also eating disorders. There are just so many more than the commonly known ones.
It can start as something simple like wanting to get in shape, tone a few muscles, feel better about yourself, or stress and voila. It's not like you wake up one moring and you say to yourself "I want to starve myself." Watching my older sister, its scary because it's "one less piece of chicken", "hold the french fries", I already ate lunch," and it escalates. No one really goes out and wants to get an eating disorder.
  Send a message via MSN to palmtoptiger Send a message via Skype™ to palmtoptiger 
  (#13 (permalink)) Old
emma01 Offline
Hello :D
I've been here a while
********
 
emma01's Avatar
 
Name: Emma
Age: 24
Gender: Female
Location: New Zealand

Posts: 1,386
Join Date: October 5th 2009

Re: I don't get ED? - November 21st 2010, 12:51 AM

Yea, there are actually so many types of eating disorders, one that I find particularly interesting is Pica, which is an eating disorder where a sufferer craves non-edible items such as chalk, plaster, paint chips, baking soda, starch, glue, rust, ice, coffee grounds, and cigarette ashes. I just couldn't see how people would want that sort of stuff, but actually 25-30% of children have it!
http://kidshealth.org/parent/emotion...vior/pica.html
   
  (#14 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?
**********
 
OMFG!You'reActuallySmart!'s Avatar
 

Posts: 4,500
Blog Entries: 10
Join Date: December 19th 2009

Re: I don't get ED? - November 21st 2010, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiley:) View Post
I just don't get it. I know girls suffer , but I'm weird and don't understand HOW anyone could starve themselves. I mean , yer I get ill and avoid food for 24-or 48 hours , but I hate that! I'm not happy with my body image , but I wouldn't starve myself to achive 'perfection'
I'm not fat , but even if i was I couldn't do it. You gotta have some guts I guess , ok norexia nervosa sufferers are in pain and stuff , bnjut they got guts.

But the world would be simpler without ED
Men have ED's too and it's very well-documented although their reasons are slightly different than females, overall females are more common to have this. But asking why they do it and seeing the logic (or lack thereof) isn't going to work because it's not rational. I'm not saying people with ED are delusional or psychotic but the behaviour isn't logical.

But there's going to be one more ED to question about: binge eating disorder. Currently, it's not an official disorder as it's getting more research but in 2012-2014 when the DSM-V will be released, chances are it'll be in there (along with the other ~22 new disorders).

Quote:
Originally Posted by palmtoptiger
Sometimes an ED is not anorexia or bulima. Nocturnal eating and emotional eating (both of which I suffer from) are also eating disorders. There are just so many more than the commonly known ones.
Nocturnal eating disorder is a sleep disorder that involves eating as in the DSM, it's considered a type of parasomnia. Some have tried to say it's al an eating disorder but currently, it's considered a sleep disorder. Emotional eating disorder isn't part of the DSM and is considered a route to eating disorders or unhealthy eating (i.e. subthreshold).


I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)
   
  (#15 (permalink)) Old
Member
Experienced TeenHelper
******
 
MisplacedDreamer's Avatar
 
Name: Annie
Gender: Female
Location: USA

Posts: 735
Blog Entries: 3
Join Date: June 12th 2010

Re: I don't get ED? - November 23rd 2010, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiley:) View Post
I just don't get it. I know girls suffer , but I'm weird and don't understand HOW anyone could starve themselves. I mean , yer I get ill and avoid food for 24-or 48 hours , but I hate that! I'm not happy with my body image , but I wouldn't starve myself to achive 'perfection'
I'm not fat , but even if i was I couldn't do it. You gotta have some guts I guess , ok norexia nervosa sufferers are in pain and stuff , bnjut they got guts.

But the world would be simpler without ED
Well, it isn't always about body image. Sometimes eating helps with whatever stress they have in their life and then throwing it back up helps with the guilt of eating so much. Part of my sister's issues is the fact that she had such a high pressure to maintain her grades during high school and she only had a few friends. Sometimes I think that if she hadn't had that pressure, she would have been better and not bulimic. There is no way of knowing. And sometimes the body image isn't necessarily because one is overweight. It could be just not liking who you are.

Another person I have talked to described it as slowly killing oneself out of the need to control everything about themselves.
  Send a message via AIM to MisplacedDreamer  
  (#16 (permalink)) Old
Member
Average Joe
***
 
xx_fallenangel_xx's Avatar
 
Name: Anne
Age: 24
Gender: Female

Posts: 127
Join Date: August 2nd 2010

Re: I don't get ED? - November 24th 2010, 02:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by handgrenadeheart View Post
I wouldn't really call it a cult, but anorexics often distance themselves (or feel separated) from other people, people who don't understand or encourage their eating disorder. It's really quite heartbreaking, but they do it because ultimately they don't want to recover. Even if they do, the urge to be thin is so much stronger, and they don't let anybody prevent them from starving themselves.

I don't think fallenangel necessarily meant anorexic groups, but that's my attempt at explaining why anorexics might associate and spend more time with other anorexics. To them it poses less of a threat to their weight, their mindset and their self-control, and so they may withdraw from their non-anorexic social group.
What I meant was that my sister and I both struggle with ED and it was helpful to have someone there to be there to support us. It is not a cult but more of us trying to support each other in our crazy thinking. And it makes things so less stressful to be with someone who knows what the other person is going through. I do isolate myself from others and it is easier to be with my sister who i know won't judge me because she is in the same spot as me.


"Pretty, pretty please, don't you ever, ever feel like you're less than, less than perfect. Pretty, pretty please, if you ever, ever feel like your nothing, you are perfect to me."
-Pink (Perfect)
"Because you are precious in my eyes and glorious, and because I love you, I give men in return for you and peoples in exchange for your life." -Isaiah 43:4
   
  (#17 (permalink)) Old
Member
Average Joe
***
 
xx_fallenangel_xx's Avatar
 
Name: Anne
Age: 24
Gender: Female

Posts: 127
Join Date: August 2nd 2010

Re: I don't get ED? - November 24th 2010, 02:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisplacedDreamer View Post
Well, it isn't always about body image. Sometimes eating helps with whatever stress they have in their life and then throwing it back up helps with the guilt of eating so much. Part of my sister's issues is the fact that she had such a high pressure to maintain her grades during high school and she only had a few friends. Sometimes I think that if she hadn't had that pressure, she would have been better and not bulimic. There is no way of knowing. And sometimes the body image isn't necessarily because one is overweight. It could be just not liking who you are.

Another person I have talked to described it as slowly killing oneself out of the need to control everything about themselves.
Off of what you said, I thought of a quote I have heard in the movie "For The Love of Nancy." The doctor says, 'starving herself isn't the illness, its the symptom.' That phrase just helps people to see that it has nothing to do with food and about psychological problems of the sufferer.


"Pretty, pretty please, don't you ever, ever feel like you're less than, less than perfect. Pretty, pretty please, if you ever, ever feel like your nothing, you are perfect to me."
-Pink (Perfect)
"Because you are precious in my eyes and glorious, and because I love you, I give men in return for you and peoples in exchange for your life." -Isaiah 43:4
   
Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




All material copyright ©1998-2019, TeenHelp.
Terms | Legal | Privacy | Conduct | Complaints

Powered by vBulletin®.
Copyright ©2000-2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search engine optimization by vBSEO.
Theme developed in association with vBStyles.