TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Eating Disorders If you or someone close to you is struggling with an eating disorder, reach out here to ask questions or to receive support for recovery.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Average Joe

Name: Anne

I feel trapped by food - November 24th 2010, 06:51 PM

So i have been in counseling for my ED for a few weeks now and my family is acting like everything is better and nothing is wrong. I however feel sufficated by food. This past weekend I had a bad weekend and then family is coming over and tomorrow is Thanksgiving. I lost weight, but I feel so fat currently, and with food being talked about among everyone for the holiday and after the past few days I just feel like it is trapping me. It is like I am trapped in the topic of food and i cannot handle it. Sorry if it sounds like I'm ranting, I just have been overwhemed with this for days.

"Pretty, pretty please, don't you ever, ever feel like you're less than, less than perfect. Pretty, pretty please, if you ever, ever feel like your nothing, you are perfect to me."
-Pink (Perfect)
"Because you are precious in my eyes and glorious, and because I love you, I give men in return for you and peoples in exchange for your life." -Isaiah 43:4

(#2 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: I feel trapped by food - November 25th 2010, 12:41 AM

Hey there,

I am so glad you have reached out to us. I hope that you are able to get support for this issue. Personally, I think it is great that you are seeking counseling for you ED. That will carry you far. I know right now you might be overwhelmed by it all but hang in there because with time things will improve. I think you should consider talking to your therapist about the feelings you are having. The more aware she is of everything going on in your life the better able she will be to help you. Honesty goes a long way in therapy.

As for your family, they might not know how to respond to your ED so they act like everything is better. A lot of the time parents and other family members don't know the proper way to handle the news that a loved one is struggling from an ED. The best thing to do is assess what you want from them and tell them. What can your family and friends do to support you? Once you figure that out let them know. If need be ask your therapist if you can talk to your parents about ways to support you in a session. While it can be hard to open up to people that is the only way they are going to know how to support you.

As for the holidays; I think the holidays are hard on a lot of people with ED. There is lots of food talk which can be triggering and then there is the stress that comes along with the major holiday. Truthfully, I am pretty stressed and overwhelmed by this coming thanksgiving as well. I am trying my best to enjoy the holiday and remind myself that it is one day. Maybe that will help you? Do you feel like you can talk to your family about the feelings you are having in regards to the holiday? It might be good for them to be aware of what is going on. Also, do you enjoy being around family? If so try to remind yourself that this holiday is not about food it is about spending some quality time with your family. Lastly, set aside a safe place. What I mean is set aside a place you can go if you start to feel completely overwhelmed. Go outside, in your room, go somewhere you feel safe and just relax for a bit. I find that this helps me deal.

I really hope this helped and if you need anything feel free to pm me.

Jenna

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

Closed Thread