TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr Hotlines

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Eating Disorders If you or someone close to you is struggling with an eating disorder, reach out here to ask questions or to receive support for recovery.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Banned
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: MUSIC IN MY HEART

Question Should I tell my dentist my weight and that I eat once a day sometimes w/ snack?they know I have ED - December 11th 2010, 02:28 AM

Is it important for them to know?that I lost weight an don't eat much ?

Last edited by Music In My Heart 120; December 11th 2010 at 04:51 AM. Reason: I left a message on the office voicemail , I said I lost weight and my height and weight to, since I'm an adult are they legally bound to keep my weight an such private?
  Send a message via AIM to Music In My Heart 120 Send a message via MSN to Music In My Heart 120 Send a message via Yahoo to Music In My Heart 120 Send a message via Skype™ to Music In My Heart 120 
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
kitkat_kate Offline
Average Joe

Name: Katie

Re: Should I tell my dentist my weight and that I eat once a day sometimes w/ snack?they know I have - December 11th 2010, 03:25 PM

I think any time you're being treated by a medical professional of any field, it's important that they know as much as they can about conditions you have that are underlying. I don't know how vital that is to your treatment by a dentist, but should they need to give you any medications or something, that could have an effect.

i am not my scars and my history
i am, i am, i am who i am...i am who i am.
there are true things inside of me;
i have been afraid to see.

Send a message via MSN to kitkat_kate Send a message via Skype™ to kitkat_kate 
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Kitty. Offline
Project Advisor

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Kitty

Re: Should I tell my dentist my weight and that I eat once a day sometimes w/ snack?they know I have - December 11th 2010, 03:46 PM

The dentist does not need to know your height and weight. I've been to the dentist twice a year since I was a baby and they have never recorded my weight and height.
Dentists work on teeth, so your weight is irrelevant to them.

If you look unusually skinny, the dental hygienist might ask you about it, but since you are treatment, you can just tell her that you are in treatment.
  Send a message via MSN to Kitty.  
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Filling my panties with candy
I can't get enough

Re: Should I tell my dentist my weight and that I eat once a day sometimes w/ snack?they know I have - December 11th 2010, 04:20 PM

i dont think you need to tell your dentist this my dentisit has never asked me for my height or weight, he once asked me if i had tried smokeing though, and if drank alcohol. my dentist just tends to ask me about my college course and such like.

BADGER BADGER BADGER.........MUSHROOM!!!
Videos team
, articles team and helplink mentor and associate live help operator.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Banned
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Should I tell my dentist my weight and that I eat once a day sometimes w/ snack?they know I have - December 12th 2010, 04:33 AM

This can be closed
  Send a message via AIM to Music In My Heart 120 Send a message via MSN to Music In My Heart 120 Send a message via Yahoo to Music In My Heart 120 Send a message via Skype™ to Music In My Heart 120 
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Banned
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Should I tell my dentist my weight and that I eat once a day sometimes w/ snack?they know I have - December 24th 2010, 02:32 PM

Well I'm keeping my dentist and his staff updated on my ED recovery process and the dental hgienist wrote me saying
Thanks for updating them on my progress and that they are rooting for me and hoping that I find new tools to help and find balance .

And they gave me some recommendations for a healthy mouth and body , I have a question as I'm 19 (Adult in the US) can what I tell them about my health be kept private?-( as they know my weight and such and it's personal health information.

I also told them that if I'm in the bathroom for more then 5 mins that it means I'm purging - and I said for them to have me tell them of I have to use the bathroom an to keep an eye on how long I'm in there and that when i come back to check my teeth to make sure I did not purge ( I think they might go with that it seems as they did not say anything about it to me , don't u think so?)

Last edited by Music In My Heart 120; December 24th 2010 at 02:39 PM.
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
emma01 Offline
Hello :D
I've been here a while

Name: Emma

Re: Should I tell my dentist my weight and that I eat once a day sometimes w/ snack?they know I have - December 25th 2010, 06:06 AM

I think you should be talking to a counsellor about this and telling them about you purging, rather than getting a dentist who most likely has no idea about eating disorders to make sure you aren't making yourself sick.
Dentists aren't probably the best people to be talking to about your weight and stuff, but they are good for the whole 'why vomiting damages your teeth' thing. Maybe they can put you off doing it.

I am a Proud Kiwi =)
Send me a PM/VM, Add me on Facebook, Ask me a question on Formspring or Watch Videos on YouTube

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Banned
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Should I tell my dentist my weight and that I eat once a day sometimes w/ snack?they know I have - December 25th 2010, 01:06 PM

My therapist knows they know and usally the dentist and the dental hygenist who are trained somewhat in eating disorders the hygienist I mean
Work together to help and I've looked up to that a dentist can be part of the treatment team treating me fir oral health related my condition.
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
Banned
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Should I tell my dentist my weight and that I eat once a day sometimes w/ snack?they know I have - December 25th 2010, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emma01 View Post
I think you should be talking to a counsellor about this and telling them about you purging, rather than getting a dentist who most likely has no idea about eating disorders to make sure you aren't making yourself sick.
Dentists aren't probably the best people to be talking to about your weight and stuff, but they are good for the whole 'why vomiting damages your teeth' thing. Maybe they can put you off doing it.
Read this .
In it it says it is a good idea to a densit know
And so do your research before you tell me how I use my support people in my recovery.
Eatingdisordersandyourteeth.pdf
  (#10 (permalink)) Old
Maloo Offline
Maloooooo
I can't get enough

Name: Lissa

Re: Should I tell my dentist my weight and that I eat once a day sometimes w/ snack?they know I have - December 25th 2010, 05:08 PM

Emma offered you perfectly good advice, and considering she's recovered/(ing?) from an eating disorder, she can relate to where you're coming from. If you're rude to people, they're not going to be willing to help you anymore.

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#11 (permalink)) Old
Banned
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Should I tell my dentist my weight and that I eat once a day sometimes w/ snack?they know I have - December 25th 2010, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myss View Post
Emma offered you perfectly good advice, and considering she's recovered/(ing?) from an eating disorder, she can relate to where you're coming from. If you're rude to people, they're not going to be willing to help you anymore.
She did but she does not know all of my situation and everyone is different in their recovery and she is no expert at all .
  (#12 (permalink)) Old
Maloo Offline
Maloooooo
I can't get enough

Re: Should I tell my dentist my weight and that I eat once a day sometimes w/ snack?they know I have - December 25th 2010, 05:36 PM

I understand that everyone is different, but if you're going to be mean to people, people aren't going to want to help you anymore.

(#13 (permalink)) Old
Banned
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Should I tell my dentist my weight and that I eat once a day sometimes w/ snack?they know I have - December 25th 2010, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myss View Post
I understand that everyone is different, but if you're going to be mean to people, people aren't going to want to help you anymore.
I'm not mean and I apologize to Emma 01/
Don't judge people
  (#14 (permalink)) Old
Maloo Offline
Maloooooo
I can't get enough

Re: Should I tell my dentist my weight and that I eat once a day sometimes w/ snack?they know I have - December 27th 2010, 03:01 AM

I'm not judging anyone, so I'm not sure where that accusation came from..

(#15 (permalink)) Old
Pandamonium Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Steph

Re: Should I tell my dentist my weight and that I eat once a day sometimes w/ snack?they know I have - December 27th 2010, 04:26 AM

Since this thread has turned into a back and forth debate, I'm going to go ahead and close it.
  Send a message via MSN to Pandamonium  
Closed Thread