TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Eating Disorders If you or someone close to you is struggling with an eating disorder, reach out here to ask questions or to receive support for recovery.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
AmiFey Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Katie

Stopping the Purge - December 13th 2010, 03:16 PM

So I managed to pick up purging after meals again. I'm mostly just worried because my throat has started hurting when I do it and this morning I tasted blood (although I didn't check to see if there was any. It could have just been that my braces cut something in my mouth, or my nose could have bled a little in my sleep again.) I really do want to quit. I'm just afraid to talk to adults about it because I'm worried they'll brush it off like they did with my restricting and compulsive exercising or overreact or something. I've tried distracting myself by talking to friends and to people on here, and that didn't help. I've tried eating with family at mealtimes, but I always end up excusing myself to the bathroom. I want to stop, I just.. I don't know how. I've tried a lot of the SH alternatives too, but they don't distract me well enough. The only thing that keeps me from purging that I've found is to not eat to begin with, and I don't want to resort back to that.. If you have any advice or words of encouragement, I need it so much right now.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
puala__koala Offline
Average Joe

Re: Stopping the Purge - December 14th 2010, 06:00 AM

okay, so i know this is gonna sound a bit strict but: if all thats keeping you from telling someone is the fear of having them "brush" it off, then GO TELL SOMEBODY NOW!!! it sounds to me like youre at the point where its not so bad and you will probably be able to get better quick. they will NOT just shrug it off. bulimia is a very serioius condition with compllications that can become very serious. heres a good page that explains them: http://www.umm.edu/patiented/article...a_000049_4.htm

why am i telling you this? well, i recently picked up the whole binging and purging thing to deal with problems in my life. this was about two months ago. i go though the binging and purging cycle at least twice a day. im going to assume that its harder for me to quit because i get panic attacks which lead to binging, and then after i binge, i get panic attacks which lead to my purging. i literally feel like shit. im showing symptoms for electrolyte imbalance (memory loss, muscle cramps, and i cant remember the rest) and then other symptoms (sore throat, REALLY BAAD acid reflux, blood in puke) AND its getting really hard for me to puke. i have to shove my finger really far down my throat to be able to get the same effect thatn i did when i started. its either that or taking something thats going to make me puke (last time i ended up swallowing acetone. i passed out and woke up a couple days later.)

STOP WHILE YOU CAN

trust me this is NOT fun. so before it gets any worse, go talk to someone im planning on talking to my psychologist about it. so yeah...

(#3 (permalink)) Old
AmiFey Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Katie

Re: Stopping the Purge - December 14th 2010, 09:16 PM

Well, I first started this.. around two years ago, I think. I quit for a while before starting up again the end of last year. A few of my friends know about it, and they encourage me to stop (which at one point I had succeeded in for.. I'm thinking a week or two) and there are two adults that know about it. They just don't do anything besides tell me that it's hurting my body and I need to quit. I knew it would hurt my body before I first started doing it; it just seems like the pros are worth more than the cons when I'm doing it.
I guess I'm just saying all of this for no reason other than that I've tried to quit. I've tried telling adults (although it probably didn't help that it was in a group with confidentiality xD). I just.. I have mixed feelings about it. Should I risk having to give it up and tell someone who will actually do something? And if so, should I talk to my counselor, parents, or the new therapist I'm getting?

Closed Thread