TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Eating Disorders If you or someone close to you is struggling with an eating disorder, reach out here to ask questions or to receive support for recovery.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Saphire Offline
♥♥♥
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Saphire

Should I say something? - December 14th 2010, 08:32 PM

I have been worried about my best friend recently. She has lost a lot of weight (when she was already like a perfect/normal/healthy size) is CONSTANTLY talking about food and what she has eaten that day, asking all of her friends what we have eaten so she can compare, checks the calories on EVERYTHING etc.

It started off just wanted to eat healthily and checking calories now and then, but now shes literally giving away her food and throwing it away. She buys it to make out as if she's eating, yet makes an excuse of why she cant eat it.

I know I havent gone into much detail there so if you need more details be free to ask, but I'm pretty certain she's developing an eating disorder.

Question is, how do I help her when she doesn't even know? Do I just sit back and let her get worse? Do I tell her and risk losing a friend?

Please help...

Saphire

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Tara. Offline
You member.
I can't get enough

Re: Should I say something? - December 16th 2010, 02:18 AM

Honestly I think the right thing to do is tell her what you've noticed and ask if there's anything you can do. I know it'll be really hard and she could get upset. But, if she really is developing a disorder it could only get worse.

To you, everything's funny. - -
I'd give all I have, honey. - If you could stay like that.
Stay this little. - - I won't let nobody hurt you.
Just try to never grow up. - - Never grow up.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Casey. Offline
Dance with me
I can't get enough

Name: Casey

Re: Should I say something? - December 17th 2010, 12:12 AM

Talk to her. Tell her that you've noticed her eating habits, and ask if there is anything you can do to help her. Just being there and listening can be the best thing she needs right now. Sometimes things in life can trigger you into not eating, something gets stressful and you suddenly need that extra bit of control, so letting her talk it out can be good for her. The only thing you can really do is be there. Hang in there hun.

She whispered to her own reflection "I will be strong."

"I am not what has happened to me.I am what I have chosen to become."- Carl Jung

"If ye harm none, do as ye wish."

Sometimes things just happen.

Smile through the tears.

PM me

Send a message via Yahoo to Casey.  
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
My_Hero Offline
Lil' Rocker Chick 8)
Not a n00b

Re: Should I say something? - December 23rd 2010, 03:22 AM

ED can be a really sensitive topic if your friend really does have one. Try talking to her, but be really gentle about it. Tell her you noticed she hasn't really been eating all that much recently; and that you've just gotten worried that something may be wrong. Remind her you're always there for her if she needs to talk or vent. Try your very best to not sound accusing, because that will only make her feel corned and she'll get defensive.
Don't pry; but ED is really serious. If it continues on you need to let her parents or a school counselor know.
I almost lost my best friend to anorexia when we were younger, and I thank God she pulled through. She (unwillingly) got help when it was verging way too close to too late. Don't wait and don't hesitate to go to an adult to get your friend help if she wont admit to it or get it herself. Even if she hates you for it, it'll be worth it to have saved her life.

We all need somebody to lean on <3
~I will survive, I will endure.
When the going's rough, you can be sure;
I'll tough it out, I won't give in. When I'm knocked down I'll get up again.
As long as my dream's alive, I Will Survive~

(#5 (permalink)) Old
I've been here a while

Name: Julia

Re: Should I say something? - December 23rd 2010, 06:20 AM

def. talk to her. If it is an ED its better that you guys take care of it now rather than later. Things could get ugly if you wait=( Let her know that you are always there for her and want nothing more but to help her.

Closed Thread