TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Eating Disorders If you or someone close to you is struggling with an eating disorder, reach out here to ask questions or to receive support for recovery.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Melody Pond Offline
is a superhero
I can't get enough

Name: Rachel

How to prevent an ED? - December 28th 2010, 12:49 PM

I had the flu all last week and it made me vomit a lot and not eat. By the time I was better I noticed I had lost quite a lot of weight. I have been trying to loose weight for a while with healthy eating and exercise but not much helped and now after being ill I am halfway to my healthy goal weight.

Since I have recovered from the flu I am still not eating correctly but I haven't made myself purposely vomit. I do not want to slip in to an ED but it is pretty tempting and especially now as I am suffering from mild depression and rock bottom self esteem.

Anyone got any tips on how to get out of this mindset and not give in to the temptation...

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Banned
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: MUSIC IN MY HEART

Re: How to prevent an ED? - December 29th 2010, 01:24 AM

Work to get feeling better about yourself and do nice things for you and others also your body
And think if your loved one was this way you would of course want to help and make that person feel good by appreciating them and an being loving now apply that to yourself In this situation .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leikela View Post
I had the flu all last week and it made me vomit a lot and not eat. By the time I was better I noticed I had lost quite a lot of weight. I have been trying to loose weight for a while with healthy eating and exercise but not much helped and now after being ill I am halfway to my healthy goal weight.

Since I have recovered from the flu I am still not eating correctly but I haven't made myself purposely vomit. I do not want to slip in to an ED but it is pretty tempting and especially now as I am suffering from mild depression and rock bottom self esteem.

Anyone got any tips on how to get out of this mindset and not give in to the temptation...
  Send a message via AIM to Music In My Heart 120 Send a message via MSN to Music In My Heart 120 Send a message via Yahoo to Music In My Heart 120 Send a message via Skype™ to Music In My Heart 120 
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
emma01 Offline
Hello :D
I've been here a while

Name: Emma

Re: How to prevent an ED? - December 29th 2010, 06:12 AM

Well its great you actually realised this was a problem And well its really hard to prevent an ED, but what you could do is educate yourself on the subject, so you are aware of what can happen, and try so hard not to fall into certain habits. Also, you have to try to love yourself, like Music said above.
Because let me tell you now, EDs SUCK, they take away months or most often years of your life, they take away your social life and sanity.
Get yourself some sort of counselling now, so you can learn to accept your body and love yourself, and not develop an eating disorder.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Melody Pond Offline
is a superhero
I can't get enough

Re: How to prevent an ED? - December 29th 2010, 06:02 PM

The logical side of me knows this is wrong and a stupid way to lose weight. I have been on this site for over 3 years and I have seen how EDs affect people but for some reason I am still not eating much.

I just don't feel hungry.
I am eating meals but my portion sizes are smaller and I am not finishing everything so I can tell I am not eating as much.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Jesus Christ. Offline
Führer of the sausage people
I can't get enough

Re: How to prevent an ED? - December 29th 2010, 06:10 PM

I think I kinda know what you're on about, I had the flu earlier this year and I've not been able to eat properly either =/ But I just don't feel like eating, and when I do I can only eat small amounts. Or when I feel really hungry and food gets put in front of me all appetite goes D=

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Jesus paid it ALL.
I've been here a while

Name: Emily

Re: How to prevent an ED? - December 29th 2010, 06:31 PM

Firstly, good for you for realizing the need to stop it before it starts. Secondly, try to get yourself back up to normal portion sizes, for example a piece of meat should be the size of your hand. You could eating small portion, BUT eating more often as well.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
emma01 Offline
Hello :D
I've been here a while

Name: Emma

Re: How to prevent an ED? - December 29th 2010, 08:25 PM

I remember having the flu and it did affect they way I ate for a wee bit...in fact after vomiting I am so nervous about eating (i am petrified of vomiting) but after a month I was completely back to normal. The thing is, you say you are halfway to your healthy goal weight...if that weight is actually healthy, then I have no problem with encouraging you to lose weight...so long as you are confident in yourself that you will maintain that weight, and keep eating healthy. I know the flu involuntarily stops you eating, and that can't be helped, and some people take longer to recover. So really, I'd just make sure you are eating enough to make you comfortable, and if in the next few weeks you still feel you are eating too little, I would go to the doctor and explain your appetite has not come back after the flu.
Of course if you start over-exercising or making yourself sick then you must recognise this as a problem and that needs to be sorted out.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Melody Pond Offline
is a superhero
I can't get enough

Re: How to prevent an ED? - December 29th 2010, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.14159265358979323846264 View Post
I think I kinda know what you're on about, I had the flu earlier this year and I've not been able to eat properly either =/ But I just don't feel like eating, and when I do I can only eat small amounts. Or when I feel really hungry and food gets put in front of me all appetite goes D=
This is exactly how I feel. I cooked a pizza before because I was really hungry but then I started to eat in and only managed a few slices and then I just felt ill. I didn't feel full I just didn't feel hungry...

Quote:
Originally Posted by I love dogs View Post
Firstly, good for you for realizing the need to stop it before it starts. Secondly, try to get yourself back up to normal portion sizes, for example a piece of meat should be the size of your hand. You could eating small portion, BUT eating more often as well.
The size of my hand? Really?
I never ate that much meat before I was ill...

I do currently think my poor eating is because I only got over the flu a few days ago and I actually still have a cough so I think I am not fully recovered yet.
I am hoping things don't get too bad because I am so aware of this. I am seeing a counsellor for my depression and if things get worse with my eating I will mention it and I will go and see the doctor if I feel it is because of the flu.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Jesus Christ. Offline
Führer of the sausage people
I can't get enough

Re: How to prevent an ED? - December 29th 2010, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I love dogs View Post
Erm... that doesn't sound quite right bearing in mind that would be like saying two portions of veg the size of your hand and two portions of carbs the size of your hand for each meal O.o sounds like way too much...

Closed Thread