TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Eating Disorders If you or someone close to you is struggling with an eating disorder, reach out here to ask questions or to receive support for recovery.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
emma01 Offline
Hello :D
I've been here a while

Name: Emma

I need alternatives...quickly! - December 30th 2010, 08:07 PM

I am absolutely addicted to green seedless grapes and pineapple. I have been having a whole pineapple a day, and 5 days ago, mum and I went to buy grapes...$30 worth, and they are all gone. We bought another 2 bags yesterday and im down to the last bag now. I just cant stop eating them I love them!

Thing is, its fruit...its not very fattening, and see im in treatment for anorexia...and mentally im recovered...thoughts about food and weight are pretty normal, and I did most of that work myself, except my weight is hellishly low, and I was admitted to hospital with an extremely low BMI...but I came out pretty quickly because well eating is quite normal for me now, and the hospital meals were nice and I wolfed them down easily. I was given a diet plan to sort of follow, and we bought some of the stuff I was given at the hospital (for example a certain type of muesli bar I like) I was only tube fed for 3 days...as opposed to two weeks, which is what quite often happens to people with eating disorders. Now before I ate grapes and that, I was eating other stuff so my weight was sort of just staying the same with small increases and decreases.
As summer came round I began to eat grapes and pineapple so much! I loved them! And in the end I was living off them. It had nothing whatsoever to do with calories. At night sometimes i'd have pasta and veges, or baked beans or something half decent...but I would always just have grapes, pineapple and normal apples. I lost quite a bit of weight doing this (quite involuntarily) and I actually didn't know, as they bloated me up so much, I thought I looked bigger, and when I weighed myself I had put on a considerable amount, but I failed to weigh myself before I ate the fruit...in the end, I realised scales are so misleading after so much fruit! So I went to hospital, and I gained weight and that was sweet! Now I am back home and eating them again! argghh!!! I have managed to put lots of yoghurt with them to give them some nutritional value! But it seems to be all im eating! Ive had a muesli bar as well this morning, and I always have toast as well for breakfast...but for afternoon tea I have them, for tea I only have a bit, then a huge bowl of fruit, then supper is meant to be a banana sandwich, but I just want the fruit!
I need some way to be able to eat fruit but put on weight, because quite frankly, a whole bowl of fruit probably has as much calories as a piece of bread (im not actually sure) but I can't afford to lose weight again! I can't really be bothered weighing myself and I dont really want to know, but Im so worried Im going to lose it all again!

I need some sort of alternative to fruit

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Voldermorts Stalker
I can't get enough

Re: I need alternatives...quickly! - December 30th 2010, 09:05 PM

smoked salmon is really yummy and you could have smoked salmon with melon, or something like that, so then your still like having the fruit but having something with it as such, you can do so much with smoked salmon as well, you can have it on toast, on belinis with cream cheese and caviar, you can have it on its own with lemon squeezed over it, you can have it in bagels, and you can have it as a sandwhich too or you can just eat it plain! porridge is also great - you can add things to it aswell, like jam and raisians. and another good thing is vegetable stir fry coz you can add which ever vegetables you like and add noodles and such like.

BADGER BADGER BADGER.........MUSHROOM!!!
Videos team
, articles team and helplink mentor and associate live help operator.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
x_sepi_x Offline
BrokenInside
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Sabah

Re: I need alternatives...quickly! - December 30th 2010, 10:10 PM

how about havin whipped cream along side fruit.. it myt be something to help lol i dunno, this is hard... why dnt you experiment with some other light foods like fruit but higher in calories like fruit yoghurt, or trifle, or jelly or tinned fruit or something.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Casey. Offline
Dance with me
I can't get enough

Name: Casey

Re: I need alternatives...quickly! - December 31st 2010, 03:07 AM

Fruit actually has a lot more calories than you would think. It also has a lot of natural sugar, which gives you energy and causes you to burn of the calories faster. I love fruit too, and there was a point where I was living off of fruit and bread, not the best thing to do. I know fruit is yummy, but you have to find other foods that you like. I am a vegetarian, so I'm always hungry. Just plain veggies and fruit doesn't do much for my body, doesn't make me healthy. I learned to eat foods that I'm not fond of, like tofu, beans, etc, and to eat carbs like rice, so that I didn't get sick again. You might have to learn to do the same. Try eating your favourite foods Emma. If you like rice, try having veggie or beef/chicken/fish stir fry with rice. It's good and healthy. Or try eating normal meals, and having a small bowl of fruit for dessert. If you have a nutritionist, you might want to talk to her about some other things you can eat. Some people do live off of just fruit, but most doctors are against that. (And by fruit, I'm including nuts and seeds of flowering plants.) Just hang in there Emma, you're doing great.

She whispered to her own reflection "I will be strong."

"I am not what has happened to me.I am what I have chosen to become."- Carl Jung

"If ye harm none, do as ye wish."

Sometimes things just happen.

Smile through the tears.

PM me

Send a message via Yahoo to Casey.  
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
emma01 Offline
Hello :D
I've been here a while

Name: Emma

Re: I need alternatives...quickly! - January 1st 2011, 01:10 AM

Lol thanks everyone! God Im onto my 2nd pineapple today, but im out of grapes I am trying to add stuff in and like its not that I am refusing to have anything else I just don't fancy anything else hehe! Oh yea, I do like tofu...but I do like pasta too and I think im going to ask mum for stirfry tonight anyway with pasta

Closed Thread