TeenHelp

TeenHelp (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/)
-   Eating Disorders (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f15-eating-disorders/)
-   -   I think one of my friends has an eating disorder. (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f15-eating-disorders/t63623-i-think-one-my-friends-has-eating-disorder/)

GleeLover514 January 5th 2011 02:25 AM

I think one of my friends has an eating disorder.

So a friend of mine, lets call her Kelly, is pretty much a stick, but she thinks that she's fat. Today, before school, I was sitting with her and a couple of other friends while eating some dry cereal. She said, "That smells really good, but I can't have it because I'm trying to lose weight."
Remembering what she had been saying about being fat, I said, "Kelly, you are eating, right?"
She kind of dodged the question and then the bell rang.
In choir today (Which we have after the lunch periods) I asked her what she had for lunch and she had only had water.
I'm really scared for her health and I really want to help her. I just don't know how to address her about it. I felt like I was being too pushy today and I don't want to come off that way, so how can I go about this the right way? Should I ask her directly is she does? I think that if I do that she'll just dodge the question again.

minniemouseprincess January 5th 2011 03:45 AM

Re: I think one of my friends has an eating disorder.

I actually think it would be a good idea to maybe talk to the school councelor about it. Eating disorders are SO serious and they should be taken care of as soon as they are discovered. Since you don't know for sure, just tell the councelor that you are worried about Kelly and say why and just say to keep an eye on her and maybe call her parents to make sure things are okay. I had to do that once with a friend of mine as well.

emma01 January 5th 2011 05:30 AM

You are probably best to actually talk to her parents/older siblings or even school teachers or counsellor. Tell them just to keep an eye out and that you have noticed certain things.

GleeLover514 January 7th 2011 01:01 AM

Okay, thanks for the advice, I'm going to be talking to my counselor tomorrow about changing my schedule, so I'll mention it to her.

p_fine January 7th 2011 10:12 PM

The best thing you can do is be there for your friend - she may be really unhappy inside and want to talk to someone/let it out. If she is to get better, I believe she has to want to do so. Definitely approach and tell an adult who you trust as its important that your friend is looked after by her family/friends and school. I have had an ED myself and it was so hard talking about it at first so I can understand why your friend is denying a problem and just says she is on a diet. I am thinking of you and hope everything is ok. Let me know.