TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Eating Disorders If you or someone close to you is struggling with an eating disorder, reach out here to ask questions or to receive support for recovery.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Dreamergirl Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Steena

Unhappy I don't know what to do. . . - January 20th 2011, 10:29 PM

I think I have an eating disorder or and Anxiety Disorder. . . possibly both.

I've always been energetic, and gotten good grades. Being healthy is important to me and so is doing good in school.

But, lately i've been feeling tired and I can't concentrate.
My grades are dropping, I've ALWAYS been a straight A student. But when I got my first term for my report card and while back, I had mostly all B's. I was really upset about this, but I knew my report card wasn't going to be that good. I know that most people will find a B acceptable but for me. . its not. Especially since I've always gotten A's.
Also for about 2 and a half years, my friends and family have been concerned about what I eat and my weight. My two friends are constantly talking about it. And one day my Teacher phoned my mom to talk to her about it, because she said she heard around school.

I mean I can't really deny it (though I do to everyone else, I always say i'm fine.) i've been getting dizy alot, and I keep losing and then gaining weight, and I don't eat as much as I used to.

Sooo, anyway the other day I started worrying a little. So I did some research on Eating Disorders, I read about it and then read through some symptoms and found that I did have many NOT ALL, but quite a few of them, such as ;

->An impulsive focus on healthy food and nutrition (I've been looking up healthy snacks and meals, and making them.)

-->A sudden interest in reading food labels to check fat grams and calories (I don't do this as often as I used to, but I do still do it sometimes.)

-->Avoiding fat and becoming increasingly picky about what he/she chooses to eat (I do avoid fat, and I am really picky about what I eat.)

-->Worrying about their weight and being dissatisfied with how they look (I do worry about my weight and I am never satisfied with how I look)

Drinking excessive amounts of water or liquid that have no calories (in order to feel full) (I don't really do it tofeel full, but I do drink ALOT of water)

Poor concentration (As I stated above I am losing my ability to concentrate)

Those were a few symptoms that I have but I have a bit more symptoms.
Along with reasearching about it, I always took MANY test/quizes on the internet (I know that they are not 100% accurate but I thought they could help me in some way) I took about 5 and they all said that there was a high chance that I could have a eating diorder or be on my way to one.

Another thing is while researching Eating Disorder I started researching Anxiety Disorders. And I also again, looked through the symptoms and took a few tests. Some said I have it and others said I might have it.
A few symptoms I have are ; Extreme fear of being watched or judged by others, especially people you donít know
Excessive self-consciousness and anxiety in everyday social situations
Fear that youíll act in ways that that will embarrass or humiliate yourself. Fear that others will notice that youíre nervous.
Pounding heart or tight chest
Shaky voice
Trembling or shaking
Muscle tension
Dizziness, feeling faint
Twitching
Shy around strangers and a fear of speaking to unfamiliar people
Uncomfortable when in the spotlight
Avoiding eye-contact
Mumbling or speaking quietly
Difficulty with public speaking or being called on in class
Few or no friends

I'm sorry this is really long, but I would really aprriceate some advice on what to do. I want to tell my mom, but I don't know how.
And I'm not sure if i'm just worrying or being really catious.

Could you please help me? Tell me what I should do and what you think.
Please!
I really don't know what to do

I'm not a perfect girl.
My hair doesn't always stay in place & I spill things alot.
I'm pretty clumsy & sometimes I have a broken heart
MY friends and I sometimes fight & maybe some days nothing goes right.
But when i think about it and take a step back I remember how amazing life truly is and that maybe. just maybe. I like being imperfect.
PM me anytime!

(#2 (permalink)) Old
SparklingWine Offline
Normality, my friends.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Lynds :)

Re: I don't know what to do. . . - January 20th 2011, 10:47 PM

Hey there! First off, welcome to TH.
Posting this can be really scary, but I am so glad you did.

Only your doctor can diagnose you for an ED. Not a website, your friends, teachers, or quizzes. I advise you go to the doctor.

Sounds like you want to healthy, but you have a negative self image. And even so, you have some of the symptoms, but not the actual ED. I am not a doctor, so this is just an idea.

I think it is great that you want to tell your mom. Knowing how is the hardest part. You can write her a letter telling her, or sit her down and have a discussion. Tell her exactly what you told us. If you are close enough to someone, even have them with you to tell her. It's awesome that you know the facts and what not, but it is important to not obsess over them. I used to do the same thing. I would spend hours looking up things like that. As a result, I would be even more triggered to have an ED.

If you decide to tell your mom, see if you can get some counseling to work through your feelings. They can really help you manage your stress, and help you keep your life in order. Try not to be so hard on yourself. I know it's hard. Also, doing things that make you happy will help with all of this. Just continue to be honest with yourself, because these things can spiral way out of control.

As someone who has dealt with an ED, you are more than welcome to message me, or rant at me whenever you want.

Send a message via AIM to SparklingWine Send a message via MSN to SparklingWine  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Dreamergirl Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Steena

Re: I don't know what to do. . . - January 20th 2011, 11:46 PM

Hi! Thank you!
I know that only a doctor can diagnose me, but I just wanted to get some input on it, and see if maybe its a good idea to worry, or if i'm just overreacting.
Your message helpedd clear up most confussion and nerousness of mine. Thank you for replying to this! It means alot!

I'm not a perfect girl.
My hair doesn't always stay in place & I spill things alot.
I'm pretty clumsy & sometimes I have a broken heart
MY friends and I sometimes fight & maybe some days nothing goes right.
But when i think about it and take a step back I remember how amazing life truly is and that maybe. just maybe. I like being imperfect.
PM me anytime!

Closed Thread