TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Eating Disorders If you or someone close to you is struggling with an eating disorder, reach out here to ask questions or to receive support for recovery.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
lonely4you Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

emotional eating out of control. - February 2nd 2011, 04:21 PM

I've been having a lot of issues with emotional eating. I've always have had issues with this and do not know how to control it and it is now getting out of control. I am now getting way too overweight and need to start losing weight but i have no motivation because i'm depressed about several things. There are a lot of things going on im my life that are upsetting me an because im upset i just eat and eat to take the pain away. Has anyone else had an issue with this before? Can someone give me advice and help me overcome this? I do not want to have to reach out and get professional help i want to be able to handle this in my own matters i just do not know how to go about it right away.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
SparklingWine Offline
Normality, my friends.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Lynds :)

Re: emotional eating out of control. - February 2nd 2011, 04:38 PM

Hey there,

I have been exactly where you are. Over-eating is another way of coping with depression. It's like self harm, and all that falls under it. When humans are depressed, we tend to cope with things in ways that aren't healthy. We long to feel something. I overcame this by setting goals for myself. I gave myself a healthy limit on how much I could eat. I also vowed not to eat past a certain time of the night. I had this habit of eating right at bedtime, while watching tv. This is when your metabolism is the slowest.

Another thing that I did was meet with a Nutritionist. They help in a sense that they will account for your BMI, weight, muscle mass, etc. And design a meal plan for you that is healthy. Also, as for motivation to exercise. Exercising is not fun in my opinion. What got me to exercise more is doing it with a friend. Is there anyone that you could work out with? That could help motivate you. Also, music is a great motivation. Set a goal for yourself. What do you want to accomplish? What is it that you want to gain? If it goes beyond outer beauty, and it becomes emotional, then that is something you need to discover. Because, the reason you said you over-eat is because you're upset. So, you can fix that. You can try your best to eliminate the things that upset you, or you can cope in healthier ways.

In your case, things can get tricky. You don't want to eat so much, then decide to cut down, and have it not be enough to satisfy your body. This is where the nutritionist can come into play. You did say that you want to accomplish this on your own, which is great, and I totally think you can do it. Maybe even look up online what healthy eating is, and what's good for your body type.

When you get in the state of mind where you are upset, and are wanting to eat, do something to distract yourself from that. I am not saying don't eat at all, that is not it. I am merely saying that if you have already had a healthy amount for the day, try to do something to distract you. What things make you happy? What are some goals for yourself? These are all things that can really help you when trying to fight an urge.

However, I urge you to please be careful. You don't want it to stray one way or the other. Meaning, you don't want to never eat, and having an eating disorder. Or, you don't want to binge, because that's an eating disorder too. It's all about making healthy choices for your body. When you know you are doing right for your body, that in and of itself will make you feel somewhat better. Physically, and mentally.

I hope this helped.
PM me if you have any concerns!

Send a message via AIM to SparklingWine Send a message via MSN to SparklingWine  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
lonely4you Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: emotional eating out of control. - February 5th 2011, 02:55 PM

lyndsee thank you so much for your response. it is greatly appreciated. i am trying to set realistic goals for myself by trying to start to work out by walking and getting into healthy eating habbits. I have taken on some work so by getting out of the apartment i am hoping that will get my mind off of food and i will be able to improve myself and be able to reach my goals. i have designed a healthy meal for myself i just hope that i am not all talk and that i am able to go through with this

again i thank you so much for you help and your reply

Closed Thread