TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Eating Disorders If you or someone close to you is struggling with an eating disorder, reach out here to ask questions or to receive support for recovery.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Fictional Offline
Nom ;D
I've been here a while

Name: Jessy

Loads of issues, all related to this :( - January 9th 2009, 01:19 PM

I think I'm getting anorexia. I eat on average one and a half meals a day. I've noticed I've lost quite a bit of weight in the last few weeks. I lie about how much/little I've eaten. I can apply several of the 'symptoms' of anorexia to myself. I'm not looking forward to the weekend, as I'll have to eat more. I know that I'll end up with anorexia at some point. I don't want to go to the doctor though. I want to get thin first, but one of my friends has an eating disorder, she's so obviously unhealthyly thin, but she insists that she's fat. I know that it'd be best to stop this before it gets too out of hand, but I don't want to. It worries me sometimes, but I feel proud of myself when I don't eat.

erm, if anyone can think of a reesponse to this, it'd be greatly apreciated, then more or less ignored.

Thank's for reading, dudes

(#2 (permalink)) Old
glittermist Offline
Modal Soul
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Lisa

Re: Loads of issues, all related to this :( - January 9th 2009, 02:53 PM

Hi Jessy!
First of all, well done on realising you have a problem! It's not easy to tell yourself you have a problem, but you've taken the first step in addressing it and you should be proud.

Ideally, you should be aiming to eat some food from each food group as part of a balanced diet, in order to get the nutrients your body needs in order to function and survive. If your body is lacking in certain nutrients, well let's just say you'll feel the awful effects and start noticing them in your appearance too! It's not a nice thing, malnutrition - i don't think you need reminding of how unhealthy it looks to be starving.

Right! Now i've somewhat lectured you, haven't I? I just want to make it clear, that if you follow my advice and eat a balanced diet - there is NO reason why you should gain weight, unless of course you aren't doing any exercise at all, or you have other underlying issues such as a thyroid problem. So try to shake the thoughts of 'food will make me fat' from your brain - because it WON'T! And that's the simple truth. YES - too much of certain foods can and may well make you fat, but if you're getting the right amount, then...it won't, you and I both know this, you're just choosing to believe that it does.

I know it's not easy trying to convince yourself to eat, but honestly - do you want to end up in hospital or dead from malnutrition? Is that how you see your life panning out? Because if you don't talk to someone, or continue to ignore other's advice, that's where you'll be headed and i certainly do not wish this upon you at all! You don't deserve to have an ED ruin your life, too many people give into their ED and it controls them and changes them and it's simply not worth it in the end.

' I want to get thin first, but one of my friends has an eating disorder, she's so obviously unhealthyly thin, but she insists that she's fat.'

I hope you realise that it's not as simple as 'getting thin first' and then quitting. You can't quit an ED! It just doesn't work like that. It may start as a little over excessive dieting in order to lose a few pounds, but in the end.....you will be powerless to cease yourself from it's grasp. And your friend, may well be YOU in a few years time, 'thin but thinking you're fat' - that is not how you want to end up right? This should be a wake-up call for you.

Sorry if i sound extremely harsh, i just want to get an important message across to you. If you choose to ignore me, go ahead, but your problem will not go away; so please ... i urge you to talk to someone about this.

Take care, PM me if need be <3

& it's just like she's in another world.
[<3]

(#3 (permalink)) Old
love__me Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Rachel Sanders

Re: Loads of issues, all related to this :( - January 9th 2009, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glittermist View Post
Hi Jessy!
First of all, well done on realising you have a problem! It's not easy to tell yourself you have a problem, but you've taken the first step in addressing it and you should be proud.

Ideally, you should be aiming to eat some food from each food group as part of a balanced diet, in order to get the nutrients your body needs in order to function and survive. If your body is lacking in certain nutrients, well let's just say you'll feel the awful effects and start noticing them in your appearance too! It's not a nice thing, malnutrition - i don't think you need reminding of how unhealthy it looks to be starving.

Right! Now i've somewhat lectured you, haven't I? I just want to make it clear, that if you follow my advice and eat a balanced diet - there is NO reason why you should gain weight, unless of course you aren't doing any exercise at all, or you have other underlying issues such as a thyroid problem. So try to shake the thoughts of 'food will make me fat' from your brain - because it WON'T! And that's the simple truth. YES - too much of certain foods can and may well make you fat, but if you're getting the right amount, then...it won't, you and I both know this, you're just choosing to believe that it does.

I know it's not easy trying to convince yourself to eat, but honestly - do you want to end up in hospital or dead from malnutrition? Is that how you see your life panning out? Because if you don't talk to someone, or continue to ignore other's advice, that's where you'll be headed and i certainly do not wish this upon you at all! You don't deserve to have an ED ruin your life, too many people give into their ED and it controls them and changes them and it's simply not worth it in the end.

' I want to get thin first, but one of my friends has an eating disorder, she's so obviously unhealthyly thin, but she insists that she's fat.'

I hope you realise that it's not as simple as 'getting thin first' and then quitting. You can't quit an ED! It just doesn't work like that. It may start as a little over excessive dieting in order to lose a few pounds, but in the end.....you will be powerless to cease yourself from it's grasp. And your friend, may well be YOU in a few years time, 'thin but thinking you're fat' - that is not how you want to end up right? This should be a wake-up call for you.

Sorry if i sound extremely harsh, i just want to get an important message across to you. If you choose to ignore me, go ahead, but your problem will not go away; so please ... i urge you to talk to someone about this.

Take care, PM me if need be <3

Agree, Agree, Agree! What you have told this young girl is the awful truth behind an ED. You think at first that it might be "fun", or "good" but, soon you will start to realize that it will take over your life, and it won't be for the better, either.

You are beautiful just the way you are.
Looking like a fallen star.
Don't listen to what people say.
They don't know the real you, anyways.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Fictional Offline
Nom ;D
I've been here a while

Name: Jessy

Re: Loads of issues, all related to this :( - January 10th 2009, 01:09 PM

I would go and get help about this, but I don't really want to. I know it's unhealthy, but I don't want to stop.

There's always light at the end of a tunnel, even if you have to pass a few bends to see it.

Proud reciever of a glance from Kyo xD

Mada tooi anataboshi

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: lisa

Re: Loads of issues, all related to this :( - January 10th 2009, 01:36 PM

Heya Jessie, firstly well done for recongnising that these habits are unhealthy and could well develop into something worse. The way that you are feeling at the moment and what you've written about wanting to get help but also at the same time not wanting to get help is typical for someone who is in your postion. There is always that 'little voice' in the back of your head telling you that treatment will cause you to 'put on weight' because you'll start eating normally again. This may well be the case, however treatment will also help you to see yourself in a much more positive light. Hopefully with some professional help you wouyld feel like you don't have to not eat and loose weight.The whole idea of treatment for something like this is to be able to cope with the idea of putting weight on and coming to terms with the way that you look. I hope I'm making some sense. Seeing as we're not medically trained professonals here, I can't diagnose you with anything. However you have some symptoms which could potentially develop into an eating disorder if you let them. I really think that you should try and approach someone about this now before this gets any worse. Is there perhaps a friend or a teacher who you could approach. Fighting this with help will be so much easier for you. Please take care and stay strong. Feel free to pm me at any time. lisa xxx (lisa johns!!!!)

Last edited by la fille de l'ombre; January 10th 2009 at 01:56 PM.

Closed Thread