TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Eating Disorders If you or someone close to you is struggling with an eating disorder, reach out here to ask questions or to receive support for recovery.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
T.J..Anderson Offline
Banned
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 8,038, Level: 13 Points: 8,038, Level: 13 Points: 8,038, Level: 13

Unhappy Could she have a eating disorder? This is getting all to much. - March 20th 2011, 06:31 PM

I have posted about my little sister before but now I feel like I'm being over protective but she has severe mental illness and right now she isn't eating, well she will eat a little, but its so little that she seems to be loosing alot of weight. For example last night I cooked roast potatoes, sausages, carrots and peas, this is usually one of her favourite meals, but she only ate 2 potatoes, half a sausage and a tiny bit of veg, i dont think this is enough do u?
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
L.O.V.E. IS??
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: kelly

Points: 11,957, Level: 15 Points: 11,957, Level: 15 Points: 11,957, Level: 15

Re: Could she have a eating disorder? This is getting all to much. - March 20th 2011, 06:36 PM

I think you should confront her and try to talk to her. Maybe she's depressed and its always good to offer an ear (:

Some things are beautiful because they are un-obtainable <3

'A dream is what you desire if anything and everything is possible.'
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Just Peachy. Offline
Normality, my friends.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Lynds :)

Points: 63,646, Level: 36 Points: 63,646, Level: 36 Points: 63,646, Level: 36

Re: Could she have a eating disorder? This is getting all to much. - March 21st 2011, 12:37 AM

Hey there,

It could have to do with her depression. I do remember reading your other thread about her.
She is depressed and sometimes people who are depressed won't eat simply due to lack of appetite.
The thing that you can do is be supportive of her and encourage her to eat and partake in safe behavior.
She is going to need as much support as she can get.

I don't know where you're at with this, but it's probably best she sees a professional for this.
You don't want this to slip too far out of control. It's possible that she could have an Eating Disorder.
But you never know. That's why I encourage you to get her professional help, and they can sort it out for you. :]

Best of luck. :]

(#4 (permalink)) Old
emma01 Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Emma
Pronouns: She/her

Points: 17,794, Level: 19 Points: 17,794, Level: 19 Points: 17,794, Level: 19

Re: Could she have a eating disorder? This is getting all to much. - March 21st 2011, 12:44 AM

I think you need to just discuss this with her, bring up last nights dinner and politely ask her if she is eating enough. It may just be that she has a genuine lack of appetite, and if so, that should return when she is feeling a bit better!
If you feel she may be trying hard not to eat, try telling a parent or other trusted adult about her, it may also be good for her to see a counselor (if she isn't already) and you could encourage her to tell the counselor about her lack of eating.

It may not be an eating disorder yet, but it could certainly be developing into one, and if she starts liking this weight loss, you may be in for a long few years! Best to get it out in the open early on, so that she can get help!
Closed Thread