TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Eating Disorders If you or someone close to you is struggling with an eating disorder, reach out here to ask questions or to receive support for recovery.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
*CatchingStars* Offline
Healing my soul
I've been here a while

Name: Corri

Points: 21,487, Level: 21 Points: 21,487, Level: 21 Points: 21,487, Level: 21

binge eating disorder(bed) - March 22nd 2011, 10:25 PM

binge eating disorder is overeating eats more than a usall amount eats until nausitated not wen full eats when depressed or bored eats large amounts of food when not even hungary eats usually alone feels guilt or depressiong about binge eating rapid weight gain not many teens know they have this disorder yet
nearly 3 times as many ppl has BED as anorexia and bulimia combined
i found out i have this i didnt even know about this either so i had no idea i had a eating disorder i just though eating disorders were just wanting to get skinner but this is emotional hunger not wen ur hugary or anything u just eat i never relized this till the other day but now that i know i can try to fix it but idk where to start or how to just try not to eat when im not hungary but feel a need for food

Life is too

Short to spend

It at war with

Yourself.

I’m catching stars in the sky because I am fixing the soul within me. May it be from the heart a girl broke years ago or my soul simply repairing itself as it was shattered on my walk on this earth. May the stardust fill those cracks within my soul making me brand new, but never forgetting who I once was.

Last edited by Just Peachy.; March 22nd 2011 at 10:28 PM. Reason: Removing prefix
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Blair Offline
<3
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Blair

Points: 13,399, Level: 16 Points: 13,399, Level: 16 Points: 13,399, Level: 16

Re: binge eating disorder(bed) - March 23rd 2011, 02:46 AM

A good place to start is introspection. Figure out what triggers you. Think about what it is that usually happens or how you usually feel before you binge. Remember that it's just a coping mechanism not a solution. If (hypathetically speaking) you binged everytime you got a bad grade on a test, although the binging may make you feel better or give you some sort of escape for a time, it won't raise your grade. That's just an example but ya know what I'm getting at. Try to identify your triggers and actively solve the problems. Also, although I understand this won't be easy, try talking to someone about this. Anyone you trust. It doesn't even really have to be an adult if you don't want. Your bestfriend, mom, favorite teacher, guidance councelor, doctor...whoever you feel you could really talk about it with and have as a support. Remember that food serves a purpose. It's there to give you nutrients and all that you need to be healthy. Too much, just like with not enough, isn't good for your body. Also, although it may seem to help sometimes, it's not really the right way to work through problems or emotions. I hope this helped and if you need some advice or someone to vent to, feel free to PM me

Just Keep Breathing
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Just Peachy. Offline
Normality, my friends.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Lynds :)

Points: 63,646, Level: 36 Points: 63,646, Level: 36 Points: 63,646, Level: 36

Re: binge eating disorder(bed) - March 23rd 2011, 05:21 PM

Hey there,

It doesn't surprise me that you didn't know about this particular eating disorder. Most people do think that it's people who are trying to get skinny by not eating. Most people lack knowledge in the Eating Disorder topics. They are uneducated. The reason people over eat is because they are depressed or bored. So, in oder to cure the ED you have, you have t cure the causes of it. However, if you don't think it's a problem, then it might be harder to stop.

I think a good way to stop is by setting times of the day to eat your food. Give yourself an amount of time to eat as well. Make sure this is healthy for you though. I wouldn't want you to stray far the other way. Did your doctor diagnose you with this? Maybe your parents can take you to a nutritionist? They can create a healthy diet plan for you to follow based on various factors. When you get triggered or bored, try to do something that will distract you.

The key parts to finding a good distraction are as follows:
-Something that distracts the mind.
-Something that distracts the hands.
-Something that makes you happy.

If you combine all three of these-- then you're set to go. I would make a list of distractions that help you. Refer back to this list often when you are triggered. I implore you to add to the list frequently and always be willing to try out new things. To let you started, I think you should take a look at the Self Harm Alternatives Thread

I hope this helped!

Closed Thread