TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Eating Disorders If you or someone close to you is struggling with an eating disorder, reach out here to ask questions or to receive support for recovery.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
lyricalangel Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 7,963, Level: 13 Points: 7,963, Level: 13 Points: 7,963, Level: 13

Question i think i have an eating disorder.. - March 23rd 2011, 07:33 PM

I always feel like I should be prettier and skinnier, and I really worry that I might have an eating disorder. My friends get worried about me, and I know they really care, but I just don't know what's going on anymore.
People tell me how pretty I am and how skinny I am, but it makes no difference to me. I'm fat, and ugly and I want to change it.
I don't really eat a lot, I end up having a piece of toast in the morning and a small meal in the evening with my family, and I rarely eat at school.
I'm 14, and I hate making my friends worry, and i don't want to develop an eating disorder or anything, but I don't think anyone understands me. i don't want to be skinny, i psycally NEED to
I feel stupid and selfish, and I just don't know what to do anymore.
Help me? D':
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Maverick. Offline
Deep Thinker
I've been here a while

Name: Anthony

Points: 15,021, Level: 17 Points: 15,021, Level: 17 Points: 15,021, Level: 17

Re: i think i have an eating disorder.. - March 23rd 2011, 07:48 PM

Welcome to TH.

I'm very proud of you for opening up about this. I know that it is hard to accept, and come out to others that you have a problem such as this. You are very concerned about the way your body looks. You don't want to be overweight, so you don't eat. As you already came to terms that this is unhealthy. Don't feel ashamed. There are lots of people who have experienced what you are going through. This is the perfect time to get help as this is only going to get worse.

Have you tried finding a good diet/exercise plan? If you want to lose weight, let's to it the healthy, and correct way. Portion what you eat. Stay away from snacks, cookies, ice cream, pizza, and things of that nature. Also find a good exercise routine. You don't even need equipment. You can jog or run, and that is a good way to lose weight. You can also speak with a counselor if you like. Talking to a professional about your problem is a good idea. Don't be afraid to talk to us about anything. We are always open to help.

You've had a landscaper and a house keeper since you were born
The sunshine always kept you warm.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
ShesNotThere Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Lee

Points: 12,018, Level: 15 Points: 12,018, Level: 15 Points: 12,018, Level: 15

Re: i think i have an eating disorder.. - March 23rd 2011, 11:11 PM

You've already accomplished a huge first step - you recognized that something might be wrong. You also worry about making your friends worry, and that's important. If you have an adult you trust, a teacher, doctor, parent, whatever, maybe talk to them about it. Explain how you're feeling and that you're concerned.

In the meantime, love your body how it is. You can always stay in good shape with a healthy, not empty, diet and exercise. Feel free to talk to anybody on here, including me, and good luck.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Just Peachy. Offline
Normality, my friends.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Lynds :)

Points: 63,646, Level: 36 Points: 63,646, Level: 36 Points: 63,646, Level: 36

Re: i think i have an eating disorder.. - March 25th 2011, 01:02 AM

Hey there,

I know exactly how it feels to be confused about things like that. But let me assure you of something- you are beautiful. I don't even know what you look like, but I don't need to. there are beautiful things about everyone. You just have to focus on the beautiful in you as opposed to the ugly in you. And also, everyone likes different things. No one is going to see some of the faults that you see in yourself. We critique ourselves more then our peers. I think it would help if you kept that in mind.

There are other ways to lose weight. You can lose weight by eating healthy foods and exercising. They recommend six small meals a day and five days a week with cardio exercise. Not only will you be healthier, but you will be happier as well. Exercising releases endorphins, which can make a person happy. Also, by not eating your body goes into starvation mode and stores everything as fat. Then your body will eat away at your muscle. So, really, not eating doesn't work.

Is there anyone you can talk to about this? Maybe friends or teachers or parents? You say that no one understands? Well, make them understand. You have to explain why you are doing these things and the feelings that are associated. It's hard at first, but it gets easier. You just have to make the effort. I would try talking to someone about this before you choose this path because really, this can spiral out of control and I know you don't want that.

Hope this helped.
Take care,
-Lyndsee

Closed Thread