TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Eating Disorders If you or someone close to you is struggling with an eating disorder, reach out here to ask questions or to receive support for recovery.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Kitty. Offline
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Kitty

Points: 46,375, Level: 30 Points: 46,375, Level: 30 Points: 46,375, Level: 30

Eating Disorder Therapy - March 28th 2011, 09:41 PM

Hey,

My sister has an eating problem. She's had one for years and it kind of left, but now it's back. She is counting calories, calling herself fat, and dropping weight. She joyfully told me that she had lost x number of pounds. Anyways, I was out on an errand with my mom and decided to bring it up. I told her what is going on and how worried I am about my sister. My sister denies it and refuses to speak about it, so me and my mom decided that she needs therapy. So, my question is, what will it be like for her? How much will it help?

Thanks,
Kitty.
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
anony mouse. Offline
I've been here a while

Points: 30,320, Level: 25 Points: 30,320, Level: 25 Points: 30,320, Level: 25

Re: Eating Disorder Therapy - March 29th 2011, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Therapy is crucial to treating anorexia and bulimia.There are many ways a therapist can work with you, including addressing any feelings of shame and isolation caused by your eating disorder. Different therapists have different methods, so it is important to discuss with a therapist your goals in working towards recovery.

The most common therapyfor eating disorders is cognitive-behavioral therapy.Thistargets the unhealthy eating behaviors of anorexia and bulimia and the unrealistic, negative thoughts that fuel them. One of the main goals is for you to become more self-aware of how you use food to deal with emotions. The therapist will help you recognize your emotional triggers and learn how to avoid or combat them. Cognitive-behavioral therapy for eating disorders also involves education about nutrition, healthy weight management, and relaxation techniques.
From here

I'm guessing it will help quite a bit, assuming she's cooperative with the treatment. It takes two to tango, as they say. I'm sorry you're having to deal with this, Kitty. <3 You know I'm here if you need a chat.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Kitty. Offline
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Kitty

Points: 46,375, Level: 30 Points: 46,375, Level: 30 Points: 46,375, Level: 30

Re: Eating Disorder Therapy - March 29th 2011, 07:05 AM

Yeah see she doesn't know about it yet, but I want her to get help and I want to love the way she looks. Me and my mom are a bit unsure of how we are going to get her to cooperate. I know that my mom is going call a therapist once I find one.
Closed Thread