TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Eating Disorders If you or someone close to you is struggling with an eating disorder, reach out here to ask questions or to receive support for recovery.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
FastForward2012 Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Ellie

My best friend might have an ED - January 9th 2009, 09:29 PM

Yay for my first thread for the new year,and the new TH

So yeah. My best friend Amanda might have an ED. We were talking about this last night. I've known her for 3 years now. She's never aten lunch at school. And whenever she comes over to my house, we most of the time don't eat anything. Usually all she has is a Coke Zero. This is what her day is:

-Get to school, has M&M's and a Coke Zero.
-Lunch: Nothing. Rarely, a Coke Zero.
-Home: piece of pizza.

She's a vegetarian. and she doesn't eat healthy.

She said that she doesn't like eating. The last time she checked, she weighed a weight that was wayy underweight. She's 15 as well. She said that the most she has gone without eating anything is 3 days. She said that she does get dizzy and get headaches sometimes. I told her that I get scared for her. She said that she scares herself. I told her to try to eat, and to drink plenty of water. I sent her a link of like ED symptoms,and she said that she fit 1/2 of them. She said that she doesn't want to gain any weight because she's scared of what people will think. Even if she gains like 2 pounds,she HAS to lose it. =/

Oh, and she like never has food in her house. Its always like mozzarella sticks, pizza, fake-chicken patties, Wendy's. I reassured her that people won't make change how they think of her if she gains a couple pounds. Personality overshines looks.

I want to help her...get better. But I don't really know how. Does anyone else have a friend with an ED, or do you have an ED? How can I help her without being like "EAT EAT EAT!"?

To Write Love On Her Arms<3

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Marionette. Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: My best friend might have an ED - January 9th 2009, 09:36 PM

There's a stickie in this forum with a list of resources, one with a link about support if you're a friend of someone with an ED, so it's worth checking that out.

I think the best thing you can do for her is to make her see someone about this and get properly diagnosed. Try to encourage her to tell her parents, school nurse or another adult who can help.

Also, to encourage her to eat healthy food such as salads, vegetables etc. which have very small calorific values and wont make her gain any weight.
But don't keep fussing.

Make sure she know you're there for her and care.
Try to sort this out before it get serious.
Good luck
x

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Never Forget Hope
I can't get enough

Name: Kelly

Re: My best friend might have an ED - January 10th 2009, 01:58 AM

Don't tell her to eat more. That's bad. Tell her how good she looks, but try not to feed the ED yourself by saying she looks great (if she's lost weight). That's all the information I can really give. Best of luck. You know you can PM me if you need to.

Closed Thread