TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Eating Disorders If you or someone close to you is struggling with an eating disorder, reach out here to ask questions or to receive support for recovery.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
crazy.daisy Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 8,148, Level: 13 Points: 8,148, Level: 13 Points: 8,148, Level: 13

When you first got Anorexia - July 28th 2011, 05:39 PM

Hey ya'll,

Just a quick question, right before or around the time you first got anorexia, did you try to get it? Like did you want to to get it so you choose to get it? I also am curious if it gets any easier as you go... and also harder to break away from. Do you think you could get over it by yourself without help after you've had it a significant amount of time?

Thanks!
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
I've been here a while

Name: Madeleine Claire

Points: 14,038, Level: 17 Points: 14,038, Level: 17 Points: 14,038, Level: 17

Re: When you first got Anorexia - July 28th 2011, 06:26 PM

I've never had full blown anorexia or been diagnosed with an eating disorder problem , but there are certain times where I'll go a week or two and be extremely careful about every single thing I eat. For me at least, it is a choice, I'll feel fat and decide to skip a meal, then I think I look better and I feel better. Everytime though I'll fall back into more normal eating habits in about two weeks or so..

Hope that helped some, sorry it wasn't exactly what you were asking for :P!
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Evanesco Offline
Linguistics geek
I can't get enough

Name: Harrison (or Harri)

Points: 38,514, Level: 28 Points: 38,514, Level: 28 Points: 38,514, Level: 28

Re: When you first got Anorexia - July 28th 2011, 06:37 PM

I've never been diagnosed with an eating disorder, however I think I have some form of disordered eating or ednos.

You don't want an eating disorder. What happened to me was I slipped into disordered eating habits and I hated my body. There were times when I wanted to starve myself, and I wanted to be ill, but that I think was part of the twisted way of thinking I had already slipped into. And I thought those things because I hated myself and wanted to destroy myself, not because I wanted to get skinny and thought it was a good way of doing so. I was already in the middle of whatever I'm dealing with when I thought like that. So I don't think anybody who really knows what they're in for could want an eating disorder when they are in a healthy state of mind.

The longer you leave it, the harder it is to let go of it. Recently I thought I should start eating more, and I got my boyfriend's support and I'm trying really hard, and I just can't. I can't let myself. This isn't something I can fix on my own and it certainly isn't getting easier.

Perhaps, if you tried really hard and changed the way you thought about yourself, you'd be able to get over anorexia by yourself, but you'd have to be very strong willed. And I doubt if you were that strong willed you'd have fallen into it in the first place.

Join the Skeleton Clique on TH
Do you wanna come with me? 'Cause if you do, then I should warn you - you're gonna see all sorts of things. Ghosts from the past. Aliens from the future. The day the Earth died in a ball of flame. It won't be quiet, it won't be safe, and it won't be calm. But I'll tell you what it will be: The trip of a lifetime!

Don't trust a perfect person and don't trust a song that's flawless.
RIP Granddad Terry. I'll miss you.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
crazy.daisy Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: When you first got Anorexia - July 28th 2011, 06:40 PM

Madeleine.Claire-Do you take the extra care for that week or 2 only because you feel overweight?

DemolitionLover- Do you know why you would have fallen into an unhealthy or twisted way of thinking? Like if something caused it?
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Angel Offline
The final horcrux
I've been here a while

Points: 23,828, Level: 22 Points: 23,828, Level: 22 Points: 23,828, Level: 22

Re: When you first got Anorexia - July 28th 2011, 07:40 PM

For most of my adolesence, I have suffered from anorexia nervosa. For the longest time I had not come to the realization that what I was doing was incredibly harmful to my mental and physical health. During most of that period, I looked at thinspo and researched more into low calorie foods. I became obsessed with the alternative communities that existed online. Healthy people do not choose to make themselves ill. I've come to the conclusion that those looking for ways of control are not totally healthy themselves.

It does not get easier. When you are far into your disorder, it will seem almost impossible to get out since you have been living with it and have been consumed by it for so long. That is when you will need the support of your loved ones the most. Recovery can be incredibly difficult, even more so on one's own. It is entirely possible though as long as you hold on to the little bit of hope of getting well and living free from the disorder.

I hope this has given you some insight. If you'd like to continue to talk, I welcome you to send me a message.

-Sylvie

"Years ago, I knew a boy who made all the wrong choices."

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Evanesco Offline
Linguistics geek
I can't get enough

Name: Harrison (or Harri)

Points: 38,514, Level: 28 Points: 38,514, Level: 28 Points: 38,514, Level: 28

Re: When you first got Anorexia - July 28th 2011, 07:57 PM

I think it was caused by a hatred of myself, a need for control and a lack of communication with my family. It didn't just cause eating problems, it also caused mood problems as well, and confidence, and other things. Nothing has been diagnosed, so I don't give a name to anything, but seeing as I definitely struggle with things, I know that something is wrong.

Join the Skeleton Clique on TH
Do you wanna come with me? 'Cause if you do, then I should warn you - you're gonna see all sorts of things. Ghosts from the past. Aliens from the future. The day the Earth died in a ball of flame. It won't be quiet, it won't be safe, and it won't be calm. But I'll tell you what it will be: The trip of a lifetime!

Don't trust a perfect person and don't trust a song that's flawless.
RIP Granddad Terry. I'll miss you.
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
crazy.daisy Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: When you first got Anorexia - July 28th 2011, 08:27 PM

DemolitionLover. Thank you, that helps a lot!

Last edited by crazy.daisy; July 29th 2011 at 03:54 PM.
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
Tigerlily. Offline
Rawr
I've been here a while

Name: Cheye

Points: 28,990, Level: 24 Points: 28,990, Level: 24 Points: 28,990, Level: 24

Re: When you first got Anorexia - July 28th 2011, 09:12 PM

Well with me it isn't Anorexia, I'm not actually diagnosed but others who have done the same things I have were diagnosed with an EDNOS, so I basically just say I have an EDNOS. For me it started when I was about 8 years old and then I didn't want to start to have an eating disorder, I was an emotional eater and began binge-eating a lot, then I would feel ashamed and try not to eat so I would feel better. I never realized it was a problem though and then when I was about 12 I wanted to have an eating disorder, I thought not eating would solve all my problems and then I didn't realize that I was already dealing with one. And I would do the same routine as I always had before with binge-eating for a week, then not eating for a week but I'd feel like a disappointment when I couldn't last more than a week not eating. My point is, I had an eating disorder since I was 8 but I didn't know it, the only time I noticed an ED was when I was around 12 and wanted one and would try to have Anorexia. It was horrible and in this last year I started to realize I did have an ED and it was a problem to my health. I tried to get out of it on my own and I just couldn't, I'm getting better with the help of a therapist though now. So no, it only gets harder to stop the longer it progresses and I personally couldn't have done it on my own, but getting help is helping me to slowly get out of that mind set.

Resident old person, back from much needed, multiple year hiatus.

HelpLINK Mentor(1/28/11)Live Help Operator(5/28/11)Social Networking Team(2/9/12)Rape and Abuse Forum Moderator(2/11/12)Articles Team(7/17/12)Sex and Puberty Forum Moderator(7/28/12)Fashion and Style Forum Moderator(9/23/12)Chat Mod(10/13/12)Buddy(11/18/12)
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
Eternal Offline
TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Nicole

Points: 77,763, Level: 39 Points: 77,763, Level: 39 Points: 77,763, Level: 39

Re: When you first got Anorexia - July 29th 2011, 02:44 AM

I have had EDNOS and very minor orthorexia since I was 14. I did not chose to have these habits, it just happened due to low self-esteem. It is very hard to stop, in fact I still haven't been successful
I think support from friends and family would definitely help someone overcome it as they would be reminded that it isn't healthy and it is very damaging to your mental and physical health.

And here you are living, despite it all.
Lead Moderator | Disputes Committee | HelpLINK Mentor
  (#10 (permalink)) Old
rosaleah Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Rose

Points: 8,383, Level: 13 Points: 8,383, Level: 13 Points: 8,383, Level: 13

Re: When you first got Anorexia - July 29th 2011, 03:12 AM

I started because people kept saying i eat alot... but then unintentionally i started eating less and less. i didnt even notice this at first until i noticed i lost weight and my clothes were loser. Its not a habit i WANTED to get into at all. and it can be very hard to get out of.
  (#11 (permalink)) Old
Katie Lydia Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Katie

Points: 16,425, Level: 18 Points: 16,425, Level: 18 Points: 16,425, Level: 18

Re: When you first got Anorexia - July 29th 2011, 03:20 AM

I was diagnosed with bulimia nervosa at 15, the events that triggered it were mounts and mounts of bullying, exam stress and the fact that i was losing control so i decided to take control the only way i thought possible, my food. I was diagnosed at 15 but had been doing it 2 years prior, it was all secretive and i was embarassed about it. It got worse as i found Thinspo (Thinspiration, Pro-Ana/Mia Websites) and got more and more deeper to the point where my physical health deteriorated and i got some help.

I know everyone is different and have their own stories but any recovering ana/mia sufferer will tell you that you cannot do it on your own or with someone who is also suffering from an ED, one relapses and so does the other.

There are a few silly girls (and probably guys) that want an ED due to the fact they think it's glamourous and all the models and film stars are apparantly doing it but what's glamourous about going bald, spots, yellow teeth and popping in laxatives like m&ms.

I'm getting help and it has been getting easier but there are good and bad days where i get urges but surrounding yourself with good people and TELLING SOMEONE how you feel helps, sometimes when i feel like i have to purge i just talk to someone and then after a while, bam! Feeling gone.

Hope my rambling helped. xx

Razors pain you
Rivers are damp
Acid stains you
Drugs cause cramp
Guns aren't lawful
Nooses give
Gas smells awful
You might as well live.

♥ Family ♥ Animals ♥ Cats
  (#12 (permalink)) Old
bailatyvm Offline
bada bing bada boom.
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Faith

Points: 13,395, Level: 16 Points: 13,395, Level: 16 Points: 13,395, Level: 16

Re: When you first got Anorexia - July 29th 2011, 04:42 AM

yeah; my disordered eating problems stem from my low self-esteem :/ I didn't exactly choose it..but in a sense I did. I didn't want it to be so controlling though..and every time I go up a size I get super depressed.

--
searching for myself...
and hugs. mostly hugs.
--
  (#13 (permalink)) Old
SnapCracklePop Offline
After all this time? Always <3
Not a n00b

Name: Annie

Points: 9,281, Level: 14 Points: 9,281, Level: 14 Points: 9,281, Level: 14

Re: When you first got Anorexia - July 29th 2011, 03:40 PM

The first time, I was very young and bigger than most of my friends. Looking back, I WAS overweight, but I was too young and didn't know how to healthily lose weight. After that it became a means of controll, and I was afraid I would go back to how I was before if I stopped.
That gradually got better when I realised I wasn't healthy, or happy, or any of the things I had wanted to be. I realised I was just upsetting the people around me.
Not so long ago I had a time where I was very anxious, mostly caused by an abusive friendship, I think. At this time I physically COULDN'T eat, I would just gag. As the problems got slightly better, I did eat.
I'm not sure if that made any sense. :P
  (#14 (permalink)) Old
crazy.daisy Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: When you first got Anorexia - July 29th 2011, 04:04 PM

Hey ya'll, Thanks so much for all your insight... For those who havent yet shared what caused your ED, would you mind sending me a PM? I'd love to hear from you! Thanks again!

P.S. Everyone is making total sense, BTW, don't worry if you think you are confusing, you aren't!
  (#15 (permalink)) Old
NyanNyan Offline
Not a n00b

Name: NyanNyan

Points: 9,556, Level: 14 Points: 9,556, Level: 14 Points: 9,556, Level: 14

Re: When you first got Anorexia - August 2nd 2011, 11:49 PM

Are you planning on getting anorexia? I don't recommend it. I've only been anorexic for 3 or 4 months and I am hooked on it. Kind of like a drug. You can read my story under the "what my friend did" post
  (#16 (permalink)) Old
emma01 Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Emma
Pronouns: She/her

Points: 17,794, Level: 19 Points: 17,794, Level: 19 Points: 17,794, Level: 19

Re: When you first got Anorexia - August 3rd 2011, 09:20 AM

I was diagnosed with anorexia, and to be honest I don't think anyone CHOOSES to have the mental illness, you are either going to get it or not. You cannot really choose it.

However, I could say it was my choice to stop eating...because I chose not to eat to sort out other problems in my life, BUT those thoughts were not made rationally and by the time I 'chose' not to eat, I had already been hit with the illness.

I don't know if I am making a lot of sense, but anyone who chooses not to eat for a prolonged period of time and becomes anorexia as a result of that choice...didn't choose anorexia. A person who does not have anorexia, or who isn't 'destined' to get anorexia, will not try and starve themselves.
Anyone who wishes to be anorexic, is mentally ill because that is not a rational decision to make.
  (#17 (permalink)) Old
ARTPOP Offline
I've been here a while

Name: :)

Points: 20,778, Level: 20 Points: 20,778, Level: 20 Points: 20,778, Level: 20

Re: When you first got Anorexia - August 3rd 2011, 10:23 AM

I don't have it. But I don't think anyone chooses to really :/

I'm a superstar because I do pageants!
  (#18 (permalink)) Old
Skyscraper Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Hope

Points: 7,869, Level: 13 Points: 7,869, Level: 13 Points: 7,869, Level: 13

Re: When you first got Anorexia - August 6th 2011, 07:14 PM

Ive had it since i was 15
and i can't stop.
  (#19 (permalink)) Old
Coffee. Offline
Condom Queen
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Traci
Pronouns: she/her/hers

Points: 95,373, Level: 44 Points: 95,373, Level: 44 Points: 95,373, Level: 44

Re: When you first got Anorexia - August 8th 2011, 10:49 AM

I'm not diagnosed with any eating disorder, but those suffering with Anorexia never choose their illness. They wanted to be thinner, but they didn't want this deadly disease.
If you're wanting to lose weight, these types of habits are not the way to go. If you need help, PM me.

something burning?
  (#20 (permalink)) Old
ellabelly Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Ella Wisse

Points: 10,373, Level: 14 Points: 10,373, Level: 14 Points: 10,373, Level: 14

Re: When you first got Anorexia - August 9th 2011, 05:25 AM

i was 10 when i realized things were wrong but it started when i was about 7/8.... not a choice. i tell myself it is but who would really CHOOSE to hurt people who love them, which is what happens. i take the pain my body feels, out on those that care about me. i want to stop, and i have before. however, every time things start feeling out of control my anorexia and bulimia rears it's ugly head.

i don't want this for ANYONE. if you are thinking about trying, please seek help now before you're stuck for the rest of your life. because it is a life long battle, even when i'm "healthy" i think about it multiple times a day.
  (#21 (permalink)) Old
ellabelly Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Ella Wisse

Points: 10,373, Level: 14 Points: 10,373, Level: 14 Points: 10,373, Level: 14

Re: When you first got Anorexia - August 9th 2011, 05:28 AM

and no to your last question.... trying to get over it by myself has only made it worse.
  (#22 (permalink)) Old
colie18 Offline
I am not your ordinary girl...
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Nicole

Points: 11,557, Level: 15 Points: 11,557, Level: 15 Points: 11,557, Level: 15

Re: When you first got Anorexia - August 9th 2011, 06:01 AM

I have never been diagnosed, but there were times where i was about xlbs under weight and i wouldn't eat at all. It was a choice because I didn't want to be "fat" anymore. I think at anytime it is hard to get over to force yourself to eat the enemy. I overcame it myself but I also relapse constantly. I sometimes will go a period of a few days without eating.

Love is Love it has no boundaries!
Got a Question? PM/VM me or go to my formspring and ask there: http://www.formspring.me/colie18
Ask Me Anything!!! I promise I don't bite and I will answer honestly!!!

Want to know more about me and how who I really am? Visit my personal blog http://www.butterfliesinmybellyy.tumblr.com

"Everyone sees who I appear to be, but only a few know the real me. You only see what I choose to show, there's so much behind this smile… you don't even know"

LHO/Social Networking Staff Member/HelpLink Mentor
  (#23 (permalink)) Old
.Jess. Offline
Previously xxjessxx
Average Joe

Name: Jess

Points: 11,362, Level: 15 Points: 11,362, Level: 15 Points: 11,362, Level: 15

Re: When you first got Anorexia - August 12th 2011, 10:48 AM

I was diagnosed with Anorexia too. For me though, how it all started is a little bit of a blur, I just found myself there. At the begining I do remember choosing not to eat food and to restrict what I ate, I remember someone commenting on why was I not eating lunch? I remember feeling so good about that. Yes, at the start I may have chose not to eat as much, I definitely didn't choose the thoughts, feelings and all the secretive and deceitful behaviour that came as a consequence.
  (#24 (permalink)) Old
Stargazed. Offline
I can't get enough

Points: 37,460, Level: 27 Points: 37,460, Level: 27 Points: 37,460, Level: 27

Re: When you first got Anorexia - August 12th 2011, 02:44 PM

Although when I was 13 or 14, I stopped eating for 4 weeks and I lost a drastic amount of weight and passed out many times, I haven't really been diagnosed with an eating disorder. However, there are times where I refuse to eat because I feel ugly or fat. Or if I do eat, I binge and purge. I wouldn't call myself anorexic or bullimic though, because most of the time, I do eat normally yet I still have negative thoughts about my eating habits, and my body image. So I guess I could say I have an ednos. But I'd have to talk to my dr about that...

Anyways, I don't suggest you "chose" to become anorexic. It's a dangerous path to be on and I really hope that you don't go there. I'm here if you'd like to chat<3
  (#25 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount63

Edit avatar

Re: When you first got Anorexia - August 12th 2011, 03:04 PM

No I did not TRY and get it...Once I started cutting I started eating less and less because I was missing that control so with that I could control what I ate and when I ate. But I I purposely did not say " Oh I think I will develop an eating disorder) I am not anorexic but I am diagnosed with an eating disorder.

And I just want to say eating disorders is a disorder and daises and you can't really make yourself have one there are a lot of things that come into factor when it comes down to if your likely to develop and ED or not. And trust me if you don't have one and or trying to loose weight don't do it my starting to starve or purge it will just get worse and its a long road to recover which I haven't really even started yet
  (#26 (permalink)) Old
Evanescent Offline
Love Is The Movement
I've been here a while

Name: Nicole (Nikki)

Points: 17,077, Level: 19 Points: 17,077, Level: 19 Points: 17,077, Level: 19

Re: When you first got Anorexia - August 12th 2011, 08:06 PM

No I didn't choose to have the disorder, I don't think anyone can choose to have a mental illness. My started when my mom spent all of our money on bingo, so we had absolutely no money for food or rent. With what little food we were able to get from the food pantry I made sure that all of my family was able to eat before I did. So I would go days without eating and then I would loose weight. I began weighing myself multiple times a day feeling excited every time the number would go down. Then the number wasn't going down enough so I would starve myself more. Then when I did try to eat even a few bites of something I couldn't because of the guilt. It all went downhill from there.

It doesn't get easier. The longer you go with out recieving help the harder it gets. And no I do not believe that you can quit on your own.

"Shoot for the moon, even if you miss you'll land among the stars."

"For those who don't care, for those who can't see, never give up, always thrive to be free."

Smile, you are beautiful www.operationbeautiful.com

Blessed Be!
Nicole AKA Nikki
Artist, Poet, and Future Social Worker
  (#27 (permalink)) Old
CaliKitty Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Marlene

Points: 7,826, Level: 12 Points: 7,826, Level: 12 Points: 7,826, Level: 12

Re: When you first got Anorexia - August 12th 2011, 09:38 PM

I didnt choose to get it. After i lost my father I just didnt have the utge to eat anymore. EVentually i had to force myself to eat but then food felt horrible inside me so i just starved myself. idk i still struggle with my anorexia everyday and i ome to this site for help but so far no one has tried to help me so i thought id try to help u
  (#28 (permalink)) Old
Cristi.Matt Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 8,173, Level: 13 Points: 8,173, Level: 13 Points: 8,173, Level: 13

Re: When you first got Anorexia - August 14th 2011, 04:35 AM

I didn't try. It started off as me not eating certain parts of my lunch cuz i didn't like the food, but once I saw that i lost a few pounds, i just stopped eating. It's not easy to stop. I still struggle with it and it's been almost 5 years.
Closed Thread