TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Eating Disorders If you or someone close to you is struggling with an eating disorder, reach out here to ask questions or to receive support for recovery.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
kbell Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 7,973, Level: 13 Points: 7,973, Level: 13 Points: 7,973, Level: 13

My eating disorder - August 18th 2011, 03:04 AM

I've spent the past year going back and forth from not eating to eating and throwing it up. It started because my mom always calls me fat and I started to believe her. I still do. I was a gymnast so my weight matters a lot to me. Anyway, two weeks ago I finally decided that I wanted to stop all this craziness and try to overcome my eating problems. My mom started calling me fat and stuff again and I relapsed after only a week. I feel like a failure and I don't have the strength to try to get back up and keep trying to overcome this.
Once again I just needed to let that out. I'd love to know if you guys have any ideas to help me get back on my feet. And what you guys do when you're feeling particularly bad about yourself.
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Eternal Offline
TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Nicole

Points: 77,763, Level: 39 Points: 77,763, Level: 39 Points: 77,763, Level: 39

Re: My eating disorder - August 18th 2011, 05:10 AM

You should talk to your mother about this. Tell her how much it upsets you when she calls you fat, and how much it affects you. As your mother, she should be supporting you and making sure you have self-esteem rather than break you down.
Try your best to ignore her, you're beautiful. Whats important is if you think that. Don't let her words change the way you see yourself.
Instead of starving yourself and throwing up, just eat healthy and get some exercise. You'll still stay at a healthy weight, but it will be better for you and keep your metabolism up.

And here you are living, despite it all.
Lead Moderator | Disputes Committee | HelpLINK Mentor
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Coffee. Offline
Condom Queen
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Traci
Pronouns: she/her/hers

Points: 95,373, Level: 44 Points: 95,373, Level: 44 Points: 95,373, Level: 44

Re: My eating disorder - August 18th 2011, 06:09 AM

As Nicole said, I would talk to your mother. She has no right to treat you this way. You should also see if both you and your mother can start seeing a professional. Your behavior is unhealthy, and surprisingly, your mother's is unhealthy for herself as well, people don't pick on others unless they themselves have something to be insecure about.
Here are some healthy alternatives to Self Harm which can also be handy for purging as well. Reply or message me if you need anything!

something burning?
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Lizzy
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Elizabeth

Points: 7,866, Level: 13 Points: 7,866, Level: 13 Points: 7,866, Level: 13

Re: My eating disorder - August 18th 2011, 02:58 PM

Honey, I would really talk to your mother and tell her how your feeling, she should not be making you feel this badly about yourself. If nothing changes I would see a school counselor and talk to them about it. An eating disorder can be a scary thing, and someone suffering needs all the love and affection they can get when trying to recover. Stay strong!

"Live Life As You Do, Face Challenges and Overcome Fears"
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
kbell Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 7,973, Level: 13 Points: 7,973, Level: 13 Points: 7,973, Level: 13

Re: My eating disorder - August 18th 2011, 09:26 PM

Thanks, I've tried to talk to her about it and she gets sort of mad. But I'll try again.

"Even when its 2 AM & you're crying your eyes out, I want you to listen to one of these songs & get back on your feet." - Greyson Chance
Closed Thread