TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Eating Disorders If you or someone close to you is struggling with an eating disorder, reach out here to ask questions or to receive support for recovery.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Proud90sKid Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: .

Points: 16,617, Level: 18 Points: 16,617, Level: 18 Points: 16,617, Level: 18

is there an eating disorder where the appetite is simply not there - September 10th 2011, 01:07 AM

i never get hungry.ever. i only ate a honey bun yesterday. and wasnt even hungry this morning. i want to gain weight. i dont have any emotional issues like feeling fat.

it doesnt sound like any of these: anorexia nervosa (caused by obsession with weight loss), bulimia nervosa ,etc. and of course : it cant be binge eating disorder (eating too much).

it is only my artificial "you have to eat, or you will die, i know you hate eating and you arent hungry, but you must" appetite that keeps me alive. i simply lack a natural appetite. i also resort to unhealthy behaviors such as eating 3 honey buns (containing (edited)calories a piece) or 4 big macs just so that i can eat (edited) calories a day or more. i love calories but hate food.

is this an eating disorder? it is 0 percent psychological. the only psychological part is the fact that i may have sensory issues due to aspergers and this may be part of the eating problem .

Last edited by Just Peachy.; September 10th 2011 at 01:56 AM. Reason: please do not post calorie numbers.
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Angel Offline
The final horcrux
I've been here a while

Points: 23,828, Level: 22 Points: 23,828, Level: 22 Points: 23,828, Level: 22

Re: is there an eating disorder where the appetite is simply not there - September 10th 2011, 01:24 AM

We cannot answer questions like "Is this an eating disorder?" because none of us can diagnose you over the internet. Eating disorders are psychological issues that may be resolved through intensive therapy and nutrition education. You may have a physical condition that causes you to lack a healthy appetite, even if it is just your brain not responding to physical hunger.

Anorexia is defined as a lack of appetite, but that is
absolutely not the same as anorexia nervosa. Do you see where I'm coming from? While you may technically be "anorexic" for your lack of an appetite, you may not be anorexic in the way most people use the term for someone who suffers from an eating disorder.

You mention that this has been going on since your birth. This is an issue that needs to be addressed since you are likely to be suffering from malnutrition. There are plenty of reasons why you could possibly have little to no appetite and we cannot help you further than to advise you to go consult your doctor.

* As a note, you should be aware that calories and (human) weight numbers are not allowed on any user submitted threads besides weights in birth notices in the Pregnancy and Childcare forum.

"Years ago, I knew a boy who made all the wrong choices."

Closed Thread