TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Eating Disorders If you or someone close to you is struggling with an eating disorder, reach out here to ask questions or to receive support for recovery.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Roy-kun231 Offline
"Just Be Friends!"
Average Joe

Name: Bobbie

Points: 9,402, Level: 14 Points: 9,402, Level: 14 Points: 9,402, Level: 14

Question Possible start of an eating disorder...? - October 28th 2011, 03:04 PM

Okay, SO!

I haven't been eating much the past week, just a pair of mini-cheeseburgers at lunch and then a couple servings of food at dinner.

My friend Stevie has been helping me out and he's really worried that I might be becoming anorexic.

But, it's not like I'm not eating because I want to lose weight. It's not that at all; I'm just not hungry. I don't know it there's something wrong with me or what.

On Monday I was really dissociated and so that's the reason I didn't eat much then, but the rest of the week, I'm not sure...

Is there something wrong with me???

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Haunted Offline
STAR GAZER
Average Joe

Name: Serena

Points: 10,133, Level: 14 Points: 10,133, Level: 14 Points: 10,133, Level: 14

Re: Possible start of an eating disorder...? - October 28th 2011, 03:28 PM

I think that if you aren't hungry you shouldn't really be worried, because it happens to everyone. Usually when I'm not hungry it lasts for a few weeks, like 3 or 4, then my hunger goes back to normal.

You should be worried if you DON'T WANT TO eat.

That's what I think, but it's better if you listen to the opinion of people that have had an eating disorder.

MONACHOPSIS
the subtle but persistent feeling of being out of place, as maladapted to your surroundings as a seal on a beach—lumbering, clumsy, easily distracted, huddled in the company of other misfits, unable to recognize the ambient roar of your intended habitat, in which you’d be fluidly, brilliantly, effortlessly at home.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Dr.Bobby Offline
Psychologist
Senior TeenHelper

Points: 11,362, Level: 15 Points: 11,362, Level: 15 Points: 11,362, Level: 15

Re: Possible start of an eating disorder...? - October 29th 2011, 02:56 AM

Hello again fellow Bobbie! There's either an advantage or disadvantage of sharing that 'Great' name with me, as I recall with even greater clarity your particular stuff.

So, as I recall, you're about to have your very first therapy session, yay! Before you do anything, or jump to any conclusions, put this issue on the agenda for therapy! Maybe even keep a little journal or diary so you can express all this stuff and get it out, and also have handy reference for that therapy!

FWIW, I envy that doc of yours for having such a motivated person in the room there (you!), who comes so prepared to do the work.

Let me know how it goes.

PM me with the link of the post you'd like me to respond to.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Roy-kun231 Offline
"Just Be Friends!"
Average Joe

Name: Bobbie

Points: 9,402, Level: 14 Points: 9,402, Level: 14 Points: 9,402, Level: 14

Re: Possible start of an eating disorder...? - October 29th 2011, 04:22 AM

Thanks Dr. Bobby

First session was good. It was mostly introductions and what's going to happen during sessions. My new therapist is very nice.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Just Peachy. Offline
Normality, my friends.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Lynds :)

Points: 63,646, Level: 36 Points: 63,646, Level: 36 Points: 63,646, Level: 36

Re: Possible start of an eating disorder...? - October 29th 2011, 06:00 PM

When we're stressed out about something, or have a lot of things going on.. we tend to not be hungry. Also, some people who are depressed lack appetite, where as others have a very active one. I don't think you're anorexic. People who suffer from anorexia have something else in their life going on, causing them to want to starve themselves. It's a way to gain control when they feel they lack it in other areas of their lives. Someone with Anorexia has severe insecurities, and anxiety. They have very low self esteem. Those who have it, don't eat because they aren't hungry.. they don't eat because they have a huge fear that they'll gain weight from it. Though, I'm not a doctor.. I can almost guarantee you (from what you've described here), that you don't have an Eating Disorder.

Your friend Stevie, sounds great.. but he, like any of us on here, isn't a doctor, and should not be diagnosing you. He should be encouraging you to see a doctor about this issue. They're licensed doctors and can really aid in helping you curve this issue. Stevie as a supporter is awesome. We all need support. Also, someone genuinely caring about you is nice too. Keep getting support from him. Keep letting him help you. You're not alone in this issue. I would also talk to your parents for support. Parents often times have a wealth of knowledge that us teens don't! Plus, they're worried about you too, and can help you get the help you need.

In short, I think you should see a doctor. Not eating can cause a lot of health problems for you. Depriving yourself of nutrients will result in your immune system potentially declining. If you're simply not hungry, a doctor can tell you what foods you can/should eat so that you can retain and gain nutrients. Also, they can refer you to a nutritionist as well. They specialize in diets for people with all sorts of different backgrounds. They'll create a healthy diet for you based on multiple factors. Your job is just to stick to it!

Hope this helped!
Take care,
-Lyndsee

Closed Thread