TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Eating Disorders If you or someone close to you is struggling with an eating disorder, reach out here to ask questions or to receive support for recovery.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
wilsos Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Sophie

Points: 10,013, Level: 14 Points: 10,013, Level: 14 Points: 10,013, Level: 14

Unhappy My Friend has an eating Disorder really bad - March 26th 2009, 06:31 PM

My friend has an eating disorder real bad she has gone into hospital for an ecg scan with an dietion and she has to go in hospital for 6 months. I dont know how to help her and Im really worried and also she says If I don't get better ahe will be sectioned and fighting for her life. She has had it for 7 years and really don't know to do.
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
soul Offline
Any fool can criticize
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Mimi

Points: 20,103, Level: 20 Points: 20,103, Level: 20 Points: 20,103, Level: 20

Re: My Friend has an eating Disorder really bad - March 26th 2009, 06:59 PM

Hey Sophie,

I am so sorry to hear that your friend is not doing so well. I would let her know that you care about her and that you support her. Make sure she knows how much she means to you and that you are worried about her. Remind her that you are there for her if she ever needs to talk to anyone.

Make sure you don't talk about food or weight around her and don't act like the food police and try and get her to eat. I also wouldn't comment on her appearance wether it is "you are looking to skinny" or "you are looking so much better" just because this can be very intimidating and actually set her back.

If at all possible I would visit her in the hospital. It is very easy for people with eating disorders to feel alone. Just being there can do wonders. I would also let her know you are proud of her for getting help. I hope your friend gets better soon. No matter what happens never give up on her.

If you ever need someone to talk to feel free to PM me. I am never to busy to talk and I will do my best to help you any way I can. Take care of yourself.

Lots of love <3 Mimi

As long as we can dream, there will be unicorns.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
ForeverAutumn* Offline
together, we are infinite.
Senior TeenHelper

Points: 17,267, Level: 19 Points: 17,267, Level: 19 Points: 17,267, Level: 19

Re: My Friend has an eating Disorder really bad - March 27th 2009, 12:12 AM

Hey Sophie,

Posting here shows what an amazing friend you must be to her and how lucky she is to have you. Just caring about her and wanting to help and support her is amazing, because support is most definitely something she needs right now. Fighting an eating disorder isn't easy but it's even harder when you're fighting it on your own, right now she needs as much support as she can get.

If you're worried about her spending time in the hospital think of it this way, at least you can be sure she'll be getting the help she needs to fight this and beat it. You can know for certain she's fighting and not just giving in and the hospital might be good for her, it might be what she needs right now. I agree with Mimi that visiting her in the hospital if you can, or even trying to call her while she's staying there, could really be a help for her. Try seeing it from her perspective for a moment; she's about to go off somewhere new, the hospital could be very frightening for her right now because this is going to be such a huge change, it's something she doesn't have experience with and might have heard bad stories about. And she'll be alone as well, there won't be any familiar or friendly faces at first when she needs someone to help her settle into this new place, which can make it even more terrifying because it could cause her to feel alone and afraid. Hearing the voice of someone she cares about or even seeing you in person, might really help out, at least in the beginning when she's trying to adjust to all the new changes.

Otherwise, keep trying to support her as best you can. Don't force food into her or push her too hard because that might just have the opposite effect of what you're intending, it could just push her away which is something you definitely don't want to do. Be supportive, keep telling her you're there for her anytime she needs to talk about anything. Listen when she needs to rant or get something out; give advice if you can but most of all, just listen. Let her say what she needs to say, let her get it out.

Let me know anytime you want to talk, ok? Take good care of yourself.

how could anyone ever tell you, you are anything less than beautiful?| PM Me
self-harm free since 06.10.11.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
floatingangel Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Points: 11,992, Level: 15 Points: 11,992, Level: 15 Points: 11,992, Level: 15

Re: My Friend has an eating Disorder really bad - March 28th 2009, 03:48 PM

hey hun.. i know how hard it is to feel helpless when a friend has an eating disorder and just can't seem to be free of it.. and you're a great friend to be so concerned about her. (:
firstly, as the two above have mentioned, this is mostly her war. although you can be by her side and show that you're accepting of whoever she is no matter what, there's a limit to what you can do. try not to advice her on anything, just listen. the hospital can be intimidating and all, but keep on hoping that she can get better and that even though it'll not happen as quickly or effectively as you think it will, don't give up.
secondly, you've to take care of yourself as well if you want to be by her side. make sure that you yourself are strong that you've someone to talk to when things doesn't seem to be going well. if you can, try researching on eds to know more about them and also what to or not to do in front of your friend.
take care!

and the voice of truth tells me a different story
the voice of truth says "do not be afraid"
Closed Thread