TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Eating Disorders If you or someone close to you is struggling with an eating disorder, reach out here to ask questions or to receive support for recovery.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
friend1234 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 7,277, Level: 12 Points: 7,277, Level: 12 Points: 7,277, Level: 12

Exclamation Girlfriend Bulimia - March 4th 2012, 05:41 AM

Hi, my girlfriend had bulimia and told me about it about about a couple months ago and told me she'd stop. So its now two months later and she tells me she needs help. I'm always there for her, i see her a lot and she seems fine and she's tall and beautiful and i don't know why she insists on continuing. She tells me she pukes every time she eats anything. i need help on how to help her because i really care about here.

advice from anyone would help. I am totally clueless on how to help.

Last edited by Just Peachy.; March 4th 2012 at 05:56 AM. Reason: removing unnecessary prefix
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
BulletHoles Offline
BulletHoles
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Alicia

Points: 7,753, Level: 12 Points: 7,753, Level: 12 Points: 7,753, Level: 12

Re: Girlfriend Bulimia - March 5th 2012, 09:35 PM

Start by asking her why she feels as though she needs to do this.
Then address that first. Make her feel beautiful and tell her to try to stop, for you. Make her a promise. You'll stop doing something that bothers her, if she stops this.
Make sure you don't come off as judgmental, only concerned. Don't force the idea on her.
But if this doesn't work and you still are really worried about her tell her how concerned you are. Tell her that you don't like to see her doing this to herself and that you'll have to take other steps. Such as telling someone, only because you care. Again don't say it angrily, be kind and gentle.
PM me anytime.

Are you always sad? Someone asked.
(Always is such a long, long time)
I couldn't say. But
If sadness was a sea, I'd drown in it.
(Salty and warm, sadness is.)
(Cold, too. Sometimes)
And I happen to love the sea.

And I watched your words burn tiny holes
into my retinas. Just wide enough to crawl into,
And forget you ever were.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Dr.Bobby Offline
Psychologist
Senior TeenHelper

Points: 11,362, Level: 15 Points: 11,362, Level: 15 Points: 11,362, Level: 15

Re: Girlfriend Bulimia - March 5th 2012, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BulletHoles View Post
Start by asking her why she feels as though she needs to do this.
Then address that first. Make her feel beautiful and tell her to try to stop, for you. Make her a promise. You'll stop doing something that bothers her, if she stops this.
Make sure you don't come off as judgmental, only concerned. Don't force the idea on her.
But if this doesn't work and you still are really worried about her tell her how concerned you are. Tell her that you don't like to see her doing this to herself and that you'll have to take other steps. Such as telling someone, only because you care. Again don't say it angrily, be kind and gentle.
PM me anytime.
^This. +1!

Being a friend means being suportive and understanding and loving and honest. It alio means putting all that into action when you become aware that soemone is out of control and needs more than you can give.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Just Peachy. Offline
Normality, my friends.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Lynds :)

Points: 63,646, Level: 36 Points: 63,646, Level: 36 Points: 63,646, Level: 36

Re: Girlfriend Bulimia - March 10th 2012, 07:37 PM

Hey there,

First, it takes a lot for a person with an eating disorder to admit that they need help. So be proud of your girl friend. She wants to recover! You sound like such a supportive boyfriend, and that's wonderful. Now, eating disorders are a very mental thing. So chances are, she's engaging in this behaviour to cope with something going on. You can ask her why she does these things, and try to help her with that. Also, encourage her to seek professional help as soon as you can. Eating disorders can generally be long lasting. What I mean is, while she can improve the bahviour and feelings- she's still going to sometimes battle that. Tell her she is beautiful and just be a support. Be there to listen when she needs it. Tell her she can call you when she feels like purging (only if you're willing).

Take care,
And good luck!

Closed Thread