TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr Hotlines

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Eating Disorders If you or someone close to you is struggling with an eating disorder, reach out here to ask questions or to receive support for recovery.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Average Joe

Name: Tessa

When? - April 9th 2012, 05:39 AM

When do you think someone would be classified as a bulimic? And do they have to be skin and bones to be considered bulimic? I guess you could say i have bulimic tendencies and it got alot worse as soon as i got my braces off, but i'm definately not what you consider skinny ( and not just saying that). sorry if it sounds dumb.

"You're never gonna spread your disease,So take your hands off of me"

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Ignite Offline
Skittles Minion

Jeez, get a life!

Re: When? - April 9th 2012, 07:36 AM

Hey Tessa,

Bulimia is a very specific eating disorder, and you must meet specific criteria. For one, it is a binging and purging disorder, meeting both the excessive food intake of binging and the ridding of food way of purging, through throwing up or other ways. These behaviors must be going on for twice a week for at least three times a month. For more information about bulimia, check out our article here and video here.

However, we on TeenHelp cannot diagnose you with an Eating Disorder. If you are worried you may have an eating disorder, this is something to bring up with your doctor personally. Eating disorders are not glamorous, and not something you want to develop. If you believe you have one, you want to address it before it gets out of hand.

Stand before the people you fear and speak your mind
- even if your voice s h a k e s. -Maggie Kuhn

Rest in Peace Peter.
Skittlify
  Send a message via MSN to Ignite  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
emma01 Offline
Hello :D
I've been here a while

Name: Emma

Re: When? - April 9th 2012, 07:37 AM

I have the diagnostic criteria, you can get it online for other eating disorders and maybe just illnesses in general. Just search it in google.

Here is the criteria
A. Recurrent episodes of binge eating. An episode of binge eating is characterized by both of the following:

(1) Eating, in a discrete period of time (e.g., within any 2-hour period), an amount of food that is definitely larger than most people would eat during a similar period of time and under similar circumstances.

(2) A sense of lack of control over eating during the episode (e.g., a feeling that one cannot stop eating or control what or how much one is eating).

B. Recurrent inappropriate compensatory behavior in order to prevent weight gain, such as self-induced vomiting, misuse of laxatives, diuretics, enemas, or other medications; fasting, or excessive exercise.

C. The binge eating and inappropriate compensatory behaviors occur, on average, at least twice a week for three months.

D. Self-evaluation is unduly influenced by body shape and weight.

E. The disturbance does not occur exclusively during episodes of Anorexia Nervosa.

Type: Purging Type vs. Non-purging Type (exercise & fasting to compensate)

With bulimia, sufferers are seldom underweight. Vomiting rids of food, but doesn't rid of calories. Bulimia doesn't allow you to lose weight, it just screws up your digestive system and when carried on long enough it can cause you to never be able to eat right again.

Just to point out my main point, you won't become thin with bulimia. the amount of calories you consume when binging are not 'gone' when you vomit, or when you 'excrete' with laxatives.

I am a Proud Kiwi =)
Send me a PM/VM, Add me on Facebook Or Watch My Videos on Youtube

Closed Thread