TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
OmNom Offline
Green Candy Eating Cutie
Junior TeenHelper

Ankle, Knee, and Hip pain? - April 22nd 2012, 12:51 AM

So this started a couple of weeks ago that after ANY excersie, even light excersise like walking, my ankles and/ or knees and/or hips start to hurt. It's usually tolerable but sometimes it gets really sharp and bothers me a lot. I have always kept in shape in my lower body, I run on the treadmill a lot and I like to bike and walk everywhere so it's not an issue of being in shape. I don't exercise so much that it would hurt me. What's going on?

PM me if you need anything Except ice cream. I never share my ice cream

(#2 (permalink)) Old
gymnastxxLeah Offline
tumble <3
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Leah

Re: Ankle, Knee, and Hip pain? - April 22nd 2012, 01:59 AM

what kind of shoes are you wearing? your shoes can put stress on your joints. also, are you flat-footed? do you have any weird walkig habits? my sisters feet kinda point inward when she walks ... she cant walk like a human being for er lfe. anyways. after years of walking this way, her hips hurt tons all the time. at one point she was on crutches for it.

I wanna fly. So I do gymnastics instead.

I'll just keep holding on to what i believe and oh I believe in you. Give me the strength for the fight and the heart to believe cause I've got to believe in you. I feel so alive.

PeacewithImperfection

(#3 (permalink)) Old
OmNom Offline
Green Candy Eating Cutie
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Ankle, Knee, and Hip pain? - April 22nd 2012, 02:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leah.sings24 View Post
what kind of shoes are you wearing? your shoes can put stress on your joints. also, are you flat-footed? do you have any weird walkig habits? my sisters feet kinda point inward when she walks ... she cant walk like a human being for er lfe. anyways. after years of walking this way, her hips hurt tons all the time. at one point she was on crutches for it.
I always wear sneakers. They're Nike trainers or something. Really good but to the best of my knowledge I don't have walking problems or flat footedness. It's just really bothering me cause I haven't been able to go to the gym lately and I'm kinda getting that lazy fat feeling.

PM me if you need anything Except ice cream. I never share my ice cream

(#4 (permalink)) Old
MD8 Offline
Not a n00b

Re: Ankle, Knee, and Hip pain? - April 27th 2012, 08:31 AM

Take some time off and rest, this could simply over training. I know you said you don't exercise to the point where it could cause it, but if your running everyday or biking or whatever it could cause it.

I would take some time off, eat a lot of protein, and ice the areas hurting.

I know the feeling of taking time off when your active, but trust me resting will do you a world of good.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Never Forget Hope
I can't get enough

Name: Kelly

Re: Ankle, Knee, and Hip pain? - April 27th 2012, 03:55 PM

Eating a lot of protein is a great idea, as this can help ease muscle pains.
Definitely start icing the hurt areas for 20 minutes every hour or two.
Take some ibuprofen or advil as they have the properties to reduce inflammation.
If it continues, see a doctor.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Just here.
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Jaime

Re: Ankle, Knee, and Hip pain? - April 30th 2012, 09:02 PM

I get exactly the same thing, but it can also be triggered by exposure to cold. You may have good sneakers, but look at your sole, and see if it's worn down.. it needs plenty of cushioning to absorb impact. Secondly, as does the floor on which you're doing exercise.. Calcium is also good for bones and something you may which to increase your intake of.. however, if you're looking at changing your diet a trip to the doctor could be advised in order to make sure the changes aren't too drastic and wont affect your body's functioning. The doctor may also be able to prescribe you some good anti-inflationary, such as naproxen, which are good for osteoarthritis, which your symptoms could indicate you maybe suffering from/ may be prone to suffering from in later life - this is a joint disease which is very painful! As someone else said, you should also look at getting the way your feet touch the floor checked - good running/ sporting retailers get you to run on a treadmill and see how your foot hits the floor and get trainers to suit your foot - when I was in america I even saw that walmart had a machine you could stand on for free, and it there and then told you if you were flat footed and what kind of insoles you should use! x

Things, no matter how bad, will always get better. So smile, 'cause this is life, and life is what you make it.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
CaptainCastle Offline
Should I call you Captain?
Average Joe

Name: Ry

Re: Ankle, Knee, and Hip pain? - May 1st 2012, 10:36 AM

It doesn't tend to be that obvious if you're walking with your feet in the wrong position unless you really think about it. I have to wear insoles now, and I was never aware of walking incorrectly before. Look at the bottom of your shoes and see if they're wearing down more on one side than the other. Or really think about what parts of your foot you're walking on. I was told by a podiatrist that as you're walking you should put the weight on the outside of the bottom of your foot and the gradually transfer it to the inside. I don't I walk completely on the inside of the bottom of my foot. You have to really think when you're walking to become aware of this though, you're so used to it you just don't think about it.

If this pain persists and you can't find any reason for it then get it checked out. I was about your age when I started getting joint pain and it wasn't until I was 19 I found out I have Hypermobility Syndrome because I kept being told it was growing pains. I hope the pain does stop after some rest though, and there is no need to feel lazy.

-Ry

PM/VM me anytime

Joined TH 24/06/05
  Send a message via MSN to CaptainCastle  
Closed Thread