TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr Hotlines

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
x_sepi_x Offline
BrokenInside
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Sabah

Erm kinda embarrasing but yeah.. (constipation) - April 26th 2012, 10:50 PM

This thread has been labeled as triggering, particularly on the subject of eating disorders, by the original poster or by a Moderator. The contents of this thread might therefore not be suitable for certain sensitive users. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

Basically my digestive system is messed up, it's been like that for ages. I've been getting extreme stomach craps and constipation. To the point where I don't go to the toilet for a whole week I know this isn't the best of topics to talk about but was just wandering if anybody else with an eating disorder experiences this? and what can you do to help?

For the record I've tried a lot of stuff, I drink plenty of water and I have an apple nearly every day.. My doctor has given me two different meds but neither of them are working anymore :/ Can't cope with these cramps, they hurt like hell
Help anyone?

''No pressure, no diamonds''

There may not always be a direct answer to a problem, but there is always a way to get through it.
Strength is the best quality of the human mind and body, and I believe everyone has it; whether they believe it or not. Look for that tiny glimmer of hope deep inside yourself and once you've found it let it blossom, glow and illuminate your life.

I'm always here if anyone wants to talk.

x x x

(#2 (permalink)) Old
i_like_black Offline
Awesomesauce.
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Jess

Re: Erm kinda embarrasing but yeah.. (constipation) - April 27th 2012, 05:35 AM

Well you could try eating more :P

Often when people experiencing and ED become constipated it's because there simply isn't enough nutrience going into the system - and when this happens, your body holds on to any potential nutrients it may have, meaning it won't let you poop. If worst comes to worst, your body may start to re-absorb some of what it had initially considered waste.

If you're drinking plenty, that's good, it helps get the system moving. But you have to remember that without adequate fibre and other stuff, your body is going to react. You can get fibre and so forth from leafy greens and the like which are often catabolic. However a piece of wholemeal bread is much more likely to get things moving faster - it has somewhat more immediately absorbable content and also has fibre.

So yeah - you're taking medication for it and doing good other stuff, so maybe try eating a little bit more. May be scary for you, but weigh up the pros and cons - would you rather eat a little bit more, or spend weeks on end constipated?

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Jas Offline
aka Xamed
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Erm kinda embarrasing but yeah.. (constipation) - April 27th 2012, 07:39 AM

Gah, this is all TMI:

I'm not sure what your symptom pattern is like or your history with the eating disorder, but yeah, I've fucked up my digestive system with years of abuse too. I have chronic hemorrhoids and never know when the next BM I'm going to have will be (unless I'm in the rare position of keeping down a binge that involved a lot of greasy food - in which case it will be SOON and crampy.) It sucks. It sucks A LOT. I have sympathy. I will say though, that for those rare periods in my recent life where I've been symptom free for a few weeks, it got a lot better. And when I've been in treatment with other people with the same problem, recovery (after a period of weeks or even months sometimes) did seem to sort any shitty problems out (pardon the pun). Obviously it's not as easy as saying "Hey, I'd like to poo regularly now, I'll recover." but that does seem to be the way that it gets sorted out, and in the meantime fiber and water like you're doing is probably as much as you can do. Continue talking to your doctor about it and maybe they'll have more ideas along the road.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Sweet Slumber
I can't get enough

Name: Kelly

Re: Erm kinda embarrasing but yeah.. (constipation) - April 27th 2012, 03:49 PM

Since you know what is causing it, maybe you can fix the problem? I know it's not easy recovering from an ED, but you are seeing first hand what EDs do to your body. It's not pleasant.

But I won't lecture you on that since you didn't ask.

As the others said, get plenty of fiber and keep drinking a lot of water.
As unpleasant as this is, have you tried suppositories? Shouldn't be used frequently, but maybe try to do it once a week so you are having a bowel movement more often, as having only one a week is unhealthy.

Keep communicating with your doctor. Hopefully this gets sorted out soon.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
x_sepi_x Offline
BrokenInside
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Erm kinda embarrasing but yeah.. (constipation) - April 27th 2012, 04:48 PM

Thanks for the reply guys. i know it's embarrasing and too much information but I'm literally cramped over in pain all the time coz of it :/ Not good
Gonna speak to my doctor about it next week and see if there's anything else I can do x

There may not always be a direct answer to a problem, but there is always a way to get through it.
Strength is the best quality of the human mind and body, and I believe everyone has it; whether they believe it or not. Look for that tiny glimmer of hope deep inside yourself and once you've found it let it blossom, glow and illuminate your life.

x x x

(#6 (permalink)) Old
BabyGirl767 Offline
Meow! Woof Woof! Moooo! Baaaa!
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Ashley

Re: Erm kinda embarrasing but yeah.. (constipation) - April 27th 2012, 04:52 PM

Try something called, miralax it's a special powder you mix in a glass of water. It's made for constipation relief. I have constipation issues from all my medications so I feel your pain. Miralax works well for me. I hope you get better really soon.

"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that." Martin Luther King, Jr.

You can call me Ashley,Delilah or BabyGirl. ]ust don't call me late for dinner

Send a message via AIM to BabyGirl767  
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
Magical Forest. Offline
3 Years Cut Free!
I can't get enough

Name: Hannah

Re: Erm kinda embarrasing but yeah.. (constipation) - April 27th 2012, 04:59 PM

I suffer with constipation from my medication, and have tried everything to help. Suppositories really do seem to work though, it's worth trying!

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Jas Offline
aka Xamed
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Erm kinda embarrasing but yeah.. (constipation) - April 27th 2012, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by x_sepi_x View Post
Thanks for the reply guys. i know it's embarrasing and too much information but I'm literally cramped over in pain all the time coz of it :/ Not good
Gonna speak to my doctor about it next week and see if there's anything else I can do x
No man, I meant that MY post was TMI, lol. I'm totally fine with talking about poo - I do it enough working with children.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyGirl747 View Post
Try something called, miralax it's a special powder you mix in a glass of water. It's made for constipation relief. I have constipation issues from all my medications so I feel your pain. Miralax works well for me. I hope you get better really soon.
For the love of god do not advise someone with an eating disorder to use laxatives. I'm sure it's just misguided kindness. Laxatives are NOT a game you want to start playing.

Last edited by escape_thereal_world; May 3rd 2012 at 07:26 PM. Reason: Inappropriate

(#9 (permalink)) Old
x_sepi_x Offline
BrokenInside
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Erm kinda embarrasing but yeah.. (constipation) - April 27th 2012, 08:07 PM

Laxatives don't even work no more, ive abused em that much.. my body's immune to them LOL :/ x x

x x x

(#10 (permalink)) Old
caffeineislife Offline
Not a n00b

Name: vive

Re: Erm kinda embarrasing but yeah.. (constipation) - April 27th 2012, 08:23 PM

i dont know but maby try paenkillers like 800mg ibuprofen but dont take more then 800mg every 6 hours. this is what i do for cramps but there difrent cramps

Speak softly and carry a big stick

(#11 (permalink)) Old
x_sepi_x Offline
BrokenInside
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Erm kinda embarrasing but yeah.. (constipation) - April 27th 2012, 08:33 PM

they don't get rid of the cramps coz the cause of the problem is still there puttin it lightly :/

x x x

(#12 (permalink)) Old
Harlequin. Offline
Stand and Fight.
I've been here a while

Name: Laura

Re: Erm kinda embarrasing but yeah.. (constipation) - April 27th 2012, 09:51 PM

Hi there Sabah,

Most likely (and in my past experience) if you aren't putting enough food in, no food will come out. Your body will be using everything you eat for energy, and (if you aren't eating enough) will also be starting to feed on itself. It won't want to waste anything.

If you've used laxatives in the past, and don't use them anymore, it's very likely that's why you're constipated. Your bowel might have become dependent on them, and therefore you need to tell your doctor about this.

I'm really sorry I haven't been any more help. I know we've had this discussion before, but I'm going to advise you to tell your doctor about you ED. You can do it, you beautiful strong girl <3

I'm always here if you need me,

~Laura

Chin up kid, they'd kill to see you fall.

(#13 (permalink)) Old
Sweet Slumber
I can't get enough

Name: Kelly

Re: Erm kinda embarrasing but yeah.. (constipation) - April 27th 2012, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caffeineislife View Post
i dont know but maby try paenkillers like 800mg ibuprofen but dont take more then 800mg every 6 hours. this is what i do for cramps but there difrent cramps
This much ibuprofen is NOT healthy for you. The max amount you should take is 600mg every 6 hours. But even that is a bit much. Ibuprofen eats away at your stomach and too much of it can cause stomach bleeding. So use as little as possible

Anyways, definitely don't try any laxatives without talking to your doctor first. Especially with your history with an ED.

(#14 (permalink)) Old
x_sepi_x Offline
BrokenInside
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Erm kinda embarrasing but yeah.. (constipation) - April 27th 2012, 10:47 PM

I'm just gonna take my normal meds until I see my doc. This pain just kills

Thanks Laura I love you <3

x x x

(#15 (permalink)) Old
Vimtoad Offline
Filling my panties with candy
I can't get enough

Re: Erm kinda embarrasing but yeah.. (constipation) - April 28th 2012, 09:30 AM

I have always found that the drink Dr Pepper is great for when I'm constipated, it has prune juice in it - prunes and prune juice are great for relieving constipation. So if you don't actually like prunes drink some Dr pepper, it worked for me and my friend but if you do like prunes maybe try eating prunes and drinking Dr pepper. Dr pepper tastes nothing like prunes either!!

BADGER BADGER BADGER.........MUSHROOM!!!
Videos team
, articles team and helplink mentor and associate live help operator.

(#16 (permalink)) Old
x_sepi_x Offline
BrokenInside
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Erm kinda embarrasing but yeah.. (constipation) - April 28th 2012, 09:39 AM

oh okayy, sounds good i might just try that. Thanks!

x x x

(#17 (permalink)) Old
BabyGirl767 Offline
Meow! Woof Woof! Moooo! Baaaa!
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Ashley

Re: Erm kinda embarrasing but yeah.. (constipation) - May 3rd 2012, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas View Post

No man, I meant that MY post was TMI, lol. I'm totally fine with talking about poo - I do it enough working with children.

For the love of god do not advise someone with an eating disorder to use laxatives. I'm sure it's just misguided kindness. Laxatives are NOT a game you want to start playing.
I misunderstood the post and missed the eating disorder part of the post. It was a simple mistake.
I'd like to add that miralax is actually a stool softener.
Yes I gave the wrong advice but I apologized to x_sepi_x in a private message. I really did and still do feel bad for my mistake.

"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that." Martin Luther King, Jr.

You can call me Ashley,Delilah or BabyGirl. ]ust don't call me late for dinner

Last edited by escape_thereal_world; May 3rd 2012 at 07:27 PM. Reason: Quoted part was edited
  Send a message via AIM to BabyGirl767  
  (#18 (permalink)) Old
x_sepi_x Offline
BrokenInside
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Erm kinda embarrasing but yeah.. (constipation) - May 3rd 2012, 08:37 PM

It's okay guys, really don't worry about it. I know how bad laxatives are, and can control myself with them. It's cool. And Ashley has already apologised to me, of which there was no need for, but I know it was just an innocent mistake.

Please can this thread be closed now.
Thankyou x

x x x

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
Closed Thread