TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
dani99 Offline
Ms.Average
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Danielle

UTI and kidney infection :( - April 28th 2012, 01:00 AM

I had a bladder infection and I kept telling my mom, but she kept pushing it off. After about a week/ week and a half, she finally made me an appointment to get it checked and get antibiotics. But, the morning of my appointment, my lower back was a little sore. As the day went on at school (my mom was going to check me out later in the day for my appointment), the pain got worse and worse, so I got checked out earlier and slept some. I went to my appointment, got the prescription for my infections. Not only that, but I also talked to my doctor about anti depressants and sleep medication. My mom felt like she needed to bring that up, too.

When I got home, I fell asleep and when I woke up, I couldn't move. I got up, crying, because I had to use the bathroom then eat dinner. I laid down in my bed and got a heating pad, and it helps a little and I took pain meds, but nothing really working.

And before anyone says anything, I drink A LOT of water (2-4 bottles of it daily ) and not much soft drinks (every now and then ). I have been drinking a lot of cranberry juice lately, too. I don't know how to completely get rid of it for now until my antibiotics kick in and get rid of all of this.

Just a girl with an angel above, just a girl with an angel to love. My angel grew wings and she did dare to fly. But I promise my angel, it's only good night but never good-bye. My angel, my angel in heaven above. My angel, my darling, you'll always have my love. Rest in peace, my sweet darling, it's only temporary that we part. My angel, my angel, how you still do steal my heart </3

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Philomath Offline
Love is > your mistakes
I can't get enough

Name: Christina

Re: UTI and kidney infection :( - April 28th 2012, 01:17 AM

This is something that no one should put off, there can be very severe consequences and over time the infection can get a lot worse and spread through the whole urinary system, which, it sounds like it has.
I know what you are going through. It is great you have the antibiotics and are drinking lots of water and cranberry juice (even though the juice in my opinion tastes gross.)
You will feel that way for probably two or so days, as time goes on and you keep taking the antibiotics, you will feel better and if you feel a lot better and end up having some of them left keep taking them so that you can make sure the infection is completely out of your system.
Also yogurt (with berries or even just plain), any kinds of berries and fruits are great to eat so that you are not just having the cranberries and water.
If how you are feeling does not improve within a couple of days I strongly recommend you go to the hospital. They can get the liquids in your system to clear it out a lot faster through an IV and that should help if nothing you are trying at home does.
Also make sure to check your temperature regularly and if you have a really high fever like over 100 you really should go to the hospital.
I remember when I had a UTI I was in the hospital for four and a half hours with an IV and then I stayed home from school for three days while the medicine kicked in.
It's a really sucky place to be in but you can get through it as long as you and your family do not put off getting help and you follow any advice and recommendations your doctor makes.
Also, I am really unsure about this so I am just going to put it here but if you are sexually active, you are more likely to have UTI's than nonsexually active women.
Here is a link to Teens Health that can give you more information.
Take care.
I hope this helps.

"i don't care your intentions. I just want you to know my self-hatred never took me where I wanted to go. At the end of the day...I can pick at the pain but I can't cut it away."

Last edited by Philomath; April 28th 2012 at 01:25 AM.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
dani99 Offline
Ms.Average
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Danielle

Re: UTI and kidney infection :( - April 28th 2012, 02:34 AM

Oh, I mean, I know all of this. I had one a few years ago because my dad thought I had just "pulled something" and the infection got so bad, if I would have let it sit any longer I would have possibly had kidney failure. I ended up getting a 104.7 fever and had to get an IV and all of these medications including pain killers that made me loopy. But I didn't get the loopy pain meds this time (Which, I'm a little happy about it because I hated feeling loopy. But it did help with the pain).

My mom got me my antibiotics, a whole bunch of bottled water, and some cranapple juice. I'm on a heating pad still, and it hurts a little less. It still hurts, but not as bad. I hate it, though, because it still hurts and the pain is spreading. The heat is starting to burn, so I'm going to have to take it off soon and it'll go back to hurting. I took some of this high dosage ibuprofen that I have because I get really bad period cramps, so I took one since they didn't give me any pain killers. It isn't helping, and I can't really take anything else because...well...yeah.

Just a girl with an angel above, just a girl with an angel to love. My angel grew wings and she did dare to fly. But I promise my angel, it's only good night but never good-bye. My angel, my angel in heaven above. My angel, my darling, you'll always have my love. Rest in peace, my sweet darling, it's only temporary that we part. My angel, my angel, how you still do steal my heart </3

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Voldermorts Stalker
I can't get enough

Re: UTI and kidney infection :( - April 29th 2012, 10:51 AM

Cranberry juice is supposed to be really good for when you have a UTI due to the anti oxidants in the cranberry juice but seeming as you've tried that maybe visit you DR again and talk to your doctor about this.

BADGER BADGER BADGER.........MUSHROOM!!!
Videos team
, articles team and helplink mentor and associate live help operator.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
bitesize Offline
Member since April '07
Outside, huh?

Re: UTI and kidney infection :( - April 29th 2012, 11:07 AM

Awh love, that's rough. I know how you feel and it is not nice. I think you just need to give it a couple of days, and keep doing what you are doing. When I had a kidney infection before I was also told to buy lemon barely and orange barley drinks, they might help too?? Hang in there, I hope you're ok.xx

Honey, you're familiar, like my mirror, years ago
I slithered here from Eden just to sit outside your door
Níl a shíltear mar a bhítear.
Things are not always what they seem.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Never Forget Hope
I can't get enough

Name: Kelly

Re: UTI and kidney infection :( - May 1st 2012, 04:39 PM

Don't use a heating pad or use any heat.

If you have an infection, you are likely to have swelling from irritation and heat causes the blood to rush to the swollen area instead of circulating.

100% Cranberry juice is most effective. Drink lots of water. Take ibuprofen/advil to help with pain and inflammation.

The antibiotics should kick in within 2-3 days and you should start seeing some results by then. If it gets worse or you start to see blood in your URINE (not spotting, but actually mixed in with your urine) then get to an ER or 24 hour clinic as that is a good indication of a kidney infection.

Closed Thread