TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Samantha

Points: 9,970, Level: 14 Points: 9,970, Level: 14 Points: 9,970, Level: 14

Question Not sure how to talk to my doctor about this... - April 30th 2012, 08:13 PM

I dont get periods, maybe one or two a year. even though I'm on the pill. My fiancee was extremely concerned over this and thought it might be an indicator of infertility and asked me to ask my doctor if there was a way to find out if I'm able to have kids in the future when I go for my yearly exam this summer. The reason he wanted to know is because if I was unable to have kids he wanted permission to go have sex with other women because he wants a child really bad. even though he is 19, I told him no because I want to finish school first and he isnt in school at all. But I have been reading stuff online and my lack of periods could be an indicator of infertility, I stopped taking my birth control a year ago because I cant afford it and I got tired of my mother counting my birth control pills and demanding information from my fiancee about my sex life. Since stopping I've only had 2 periods since last march. And I'm not pregnant. But I am unsure how to ask my doctor if I'm able to get pregnant with out him thinking that I am going to be trying to get pregnant.

How do I go about having this conversation with my doctor?
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Just here.
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Jaime

Points: 7,704, Level: 12 Points: 7,704, Level: 12 Points: 7,704, Level: 12

Re: Not sure how to talk to my doctor about this... - April 30th 2012, 08:43 PM

You should just talk to the doctor firstly about your period irregularity, and how you're concerned about your future. It doesn't necessarily mean you want to get pregnant now if you're talking about your current health.. I really wouldn't worry about it. You could even just say you were wondering how long after the pill it would take your period to go back to normal, and he may just prescribe you something to regulate your period a little better - if that didn't work, maybe then push some more and he would be able to look at fertility tests..
Also, maybe talk to your fiancee a little more about the matter.. even with fertility issues, there are still other methods to conceive a child

Things, no matter how bad, will always get better. So smile, 'cause this is life, and life is what you make it.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Samantha

Points: 9,970, Level: 14 Points: 9,970, Level: 14 Points: 9,970, Level: 14

Re: Not sure how to talk to my doctor about this... - April 30th 2012, 08:56 PM

We've talked about other methods just incase I cant. But he wants his own child that was conceived naturally in a bed not a peitri dish, so if I am infertile or w/e then hes gone. We actually broke up over it recently until I know. Which I am perfectly okay with not being with him but I'm still concerned about whether I will be able to later. And if I am unable to I dont really see the reason to continue spending money on birth control since I do plan on going back on it in about a month once I get switched to a pill that I can afford.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Just here.
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Jaime

Points: 7,704, Level: 12 Points: 7,704, Level: 12 Points: 7,704, Level: 12

Re: Not sure how to talk to my doctor about this... - May 1st 2012, 03:12 PM

I can see why he might feel that way, but I think if he really wanted a family with you, then he'll come round to the idea. If that was my boyfriend though, I don't think I could deal with that, he either wants a family or doesn't, and I wouldn't want to be with him if he didn't want to be with me over that.
Your best bet really is to go to your doctor and talk it over with them, they'll offer you more in depth advice

Things, no matter how bad, will always get better. So smile, 'cause this is life, and life is what you make it.
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Never Forget Hope
I can't get enough

Name: Kelly

Points: 36,109, Level: 27 Points: 36,109, Level: 27 Points: 36,109, Level: 27

Re: Not sure how to talk to my doctor about this... - May 1st 2012, 04:55 PM

Some women just don't produce enough hormones. I was worried too since I only have a period ON birth control. But without it, I only have one or two a year.

Finally, a doctor figured out I just need to take hormone pills. For some reason, my body doesn't produce enough.

So try not to worry too much. It could be a simple reason
Closed Thread