TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
LlamaLlamaDuck Offline
Llama Lover/Skittle Minion
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Louise

Healthy way to do it - May 7th 2012, 08:37 PM

Hey everyone

I've been getting a bit insecure lately and decided I want to lose just the smallest bit of weight. I'm just a tiny bit over the weight I'm comfortable with and want to get back down to that so I can feel better.
This has happened before and I've just started eating barely anything and trying every day to bring food back up again after eating. I really don't want to get back into this because I'm doing so well with everything else, so does anyone have any suggestions for me to lose a little weight healthily without getting back into that mindset?

For the record, there aren't any gyms I can get to and I can't run because I have really bad ankles that get hurt whenever I try.

Throw those curtains wide
One day like this a year would see me right

We are the rainbow
Or click here for some grovelling.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
jodi322 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Jodi McCann

Re: Healthy way to do it - May 7th 2012, 09:20 PM

An easy and healthy way to lose weight would be to do crunches/sit-ups and penguins (get in the crunch position and reach one hand beneath your legs to your opposite heel - it helps a lot more than you would think!) or other forms of excersize in your own home. You could also visit a few different sites online like The Sneaky Chef for some tips and recipes on how to eat healthier. My mother actually lost a lot of weight by switching to diet soda and then even more when she stopped drinking soda at all on a regular basis (she drinks soda and sweet tea and such when she eats out or celebrates a holiday). Hope this helps and I wish you luck!

Stay Strong.
Message me if you need to talk. I may not always have the best advice, but I'm always willing to listen.
Aim for the moon for if you fall, you will land amoungst the stars.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Tigereyes Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Healthy way to do it - May 7th 2012, 11:17 PM

Definitely do some excersizing on your own. The ideas above are good; you could also run or go for a walk, do jumping jacks, jump rope, anything like that. Another thing would be to look over your diet. Don't stop eating! But if you notice something like you're eating 5 cookies a day, then maybe try to limit yourself to 1 or 2 cookies. If you need to eat something sweat, try to eat fruit or something instead of junk food, if that's an issue.

"Just open your eyes and see that life is beautiful..." ~Sixx:A.M.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
i_like_black Offline
Awesomesauce.
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Jess

Re: Healthy way to do it - May 8th 2012, 03:30 AM

As far as exercise goes, you'll be wanting low-impact for your ankles, so that rules out running and jumping rope.
BUT! Swimming and cycling! Most people have a bike sitting around, most people can access a swimming pool, I don't know about where you are but there's frequently a free public pool within bus distance.
As for how - intervals! Interval training is the best way to raise cardio fitness, and cardio is good. Intervals work by doing a work out at maximum intensity (8 - 10 on a scale of 1 - 10, 10 being the most intense) for a short period, say 30 seconds to a minute, followed by a cool-down period of about a 3 - 6 on the scale for up to 5 minutes, then repeating 5 or 6 times, until you get to between 20 - 30 minutes of cardio.

And for bodyweight stuff at home, see if you can do squats without aggravating your ankles. They engage far more muscle groups than your regular sit-ups and so forth if done properly, and also burn a greater amount of kilojoules. Any bodyweight stuff is good though, and there are plenty of websites which can detail you on them. I mention this because a good workout involves both cardio and resistance training, because resistance builds muscle, and muscle requires more energy even in a resting state than other body tissues, which aids with weight maintenance.

Nutrition - don't limit yourself, don't purge. You already know these are unhealthy and that you don't want to go down that road, so stop now before it can really get a hold of you.
Make sure you eat a decent breakfast. Breakfast kick-starts your metabolism for the day and having a healthy, wholesome and filling breakfast can often dictate food choices for the rest of the day. Eat lots of protein - meats, eggs, dairy - protein is harder to digest than carbohydrates but gives more energy. It is also more useful in tissue growth and repair.

And finally, drink lots of water. Tea is ok, coffee is ok, juice is ok sometimes, fizzy is basically off-limits. Although once a week or something like that shouldn't hurt, after all, you still want to enjoy life, right?
So if you exercise say 3 - 5 times a week for 30 minutes - 1 hour, and eat healthily, making sure that you actually eat and keep the food in you, then you should see results within a month. Sounds like a long time, but nothing happens overnight, and it all takes effort. I read this once:

It takes 4 weeks for you to notice a difference in your body
6 weeks for the scales to show a difference
8 weeks for your friends to notice and
12 weeks to make it a habit.

So it's a long road but it's worth it

2 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Re: Healthy way to do it - May 8th 2012, 08:30 PM

I have to preface with the following. If you're at a medically healthy weight and you have a history of an unhealthy mindset related to food and/or weight I encourage you to proceed with caution.

My parents were always obsessing about their own weight and then they would start making comments about mine so I had to make a concious effort to avoid being unhealthy one way or another. Here's what works for me:

Do not tie food together with guilt, most people don't always make the healthiest chioce, it's not the end of the world. Feeling guilty over eating is likely to bring on unhealthy patterns.

Don't obsess over the number on the scale, the amount you think you need to lose, or how fast you think you should be losing it.

Focus on being healthy, not losing weight. Focus on health and the weight loss will come

Replace "junk" food and drinks with healthier options, drink mostly water and milk when possible and eat fruit/dried fruit for dessert and/or instead of candy and nuts instead of chips, pretzles are fine in moderation and you can't go wrong with vegetables.

Don't flat out deprive yourself of anything, the more you deny yourself something the more you're going to want it and end up eating more than you intended. If you're really craving chocolate for example a little bit is fine.

You'll have to experiment with exercise to figure out what works for your needs and what doesn't. and the same rules apply there too. Set yourself a healthy limit (30-60 minutes) a day total and don't go beyond that. Find something you enjoy so that it doesn't feel like work. Low impact activities will probably be best.

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte

(#6 (permalink)) Old
metalheadjessus Offline
Average Joe

Re: Healthy way to do it - May 9th 2012, 01:59 PM

What I found is that avoiding heavily processed and refined foods and opting for fresher, healthier options helps a lot. If there's a chemical or ingredient that you cannot pronounce on the packet then put it down! Eat lots of fresh fruits and veggies and remember to get a balance of protein, dairy and carbs aswell. Also, treat yourself; don't limit yourself too much, otherwise you'll be unhappy with your diet and less likely to carry it on.

As for exercise, swimming is brilliant, as someone already suggested; it'll take the weight off your ankle and may even be therapeutic and help it on its way to being mended! Light walking may be beneficial, too

Closed Thread