TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Vagina Offline
Not a n00b

Name: my friends know it

wisdom teeth ? - May 22nd 2012, 09:26 AM

So anyone else had their wisdom teeth removed ? I get mine done later this week and im sorta nervous on how out of it im gonna feel afterwards and how my mouth will feel

(#2 (permalink)) Old
BabyGirl767 Offline
Meow! Woof Woof! Moooo! Baaaa!
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Ashley

Re: wisdom teeth ? - May 23rd 2012, 05:18 PM

It's totally normal to be nervous! I was!

I have! I was the youngest in my family to get my wisdom teeth removed, I was 15!
I suggest wearing something really comfortable be aware of the weather on the day of your surgery, bring a light jacket in case you are cold when you wake up. I'm going to be honest, here, when you wake up you will be really tired, later on your mouth may start to feel sore, you won't be able to eat anything solid, so make sure you have soft foods like applesauce and even baby food, your doc will answer all your questions, you'll need someone to drive you to and from the doctor and stay with you while you recover from the surgery and sedation, they will probably give you the sedation through something called an IV, look away while they start the IV it will help a lot, the IV doesn't really hurt it just feels like a dull sting and or poke. I'm sorry my response is so vague but I hardly remember the day of the procedure! If you have questions about what it feels like when you wake up from sedation or anything about surgeries and procedures feel free to PM me, I've had over 8 surgeries throughout my short life. And would be more then happy to answer any question you may have the best I can. I hope the little blurb of my "advice" helps.

I was born with a genetic disorder called neurofibromatosis, it causes tumors to grow in my body on nerves,my spine,and under my skin. I have a tumor in the thalamus region of my brain. I also have heartburn,hypothyroidism and secondary adrenal insufficiency these are under control with medication.
I also have hip dysplasia and scoliosis.

Send a message via AIM to BabyGirl767  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
trinityoflove Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Caitlin

Re: wisdom teeth ? - May 23rd 2012, 08:30 PM

I got mine out a few years back. I was nervous too, but its good to remember that wisdom teeth removal is a common procedure, the dentist knows what he/she is doing. Like BabyGirl747 said, chances are they will give you an IV to sedate you. I don't remember anything after the IV. I imagine I slept through the whole thing. I hear that some people don't necessarily sleep.. but are very groggy and will not remember most of the procedure. It all depends on the type of meds in the IV and how much they give. As far as the pain afterwards, for me it only hurt for about a day. I'm not sure if this is normal or not. They gave me enough vicodin for that week, but I think I only took one. Someone will have to drive you home. It might be a good idea to let them help you in and out of the vehicle just in case the sedative hasn't completely worn off. I remember having to stop at a store and I tried to get out myself and ended up falling out of the car. Ice helps to reduce the swelling. And i'm sure they'll tell you this, but do not use a straw until the areas are healed. The suction can cause the clots to dislodge and it will be very painful and can cause an infection.
Good luck and I hope you have a quick recovery.

"I think and think and think, I've thought myself out of happiness one million times, but never once into it." - Jonathan Safran Foer
  Send a message via Yahoo to trinityoflove  
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Vagina Offline
Not a n00b

Name: my friends know it

Re: wisdom teeth ? - May 24th 2012, 05:14 AM

ok thanks for letting me know what to expect not so nervous now then again i dont like needles

(#5 (permalink)) Old
trinityoflove Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Caitlin

Re: wisdom teeth ? - May 24th 2012, 06:21 AM

Its alright, I don't like needles either. I'll admit I cried when I got the IV. It helps to look away and focus on something else in the room or squeeze the chair with your other hand.

"I think and think and think, I've thought myself out of happiness one million times, but never once into it." - Jonathan Safran Foer
  Send a message via Yahoo to trinityoflove  
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Daivia Offline
Why Hussie? Why?
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Maeve

Re: wisdom teeth ? - May 24th 2012, 06:44 AM

I had mine done in the clinic. I was give a pill to take beforehand. I don't remember the procedure at all. I was on my way back to my house from cat-sitting (I took the pill before I left) and the next thing I know, I'm in the guest room with my mother trying to feed me ice cream.

It hurt once I woke up and could stay awake, but I ate ice cream and changed my gauze and napped to keep the pain away. After two or three days I felt pretty normal.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Jack Lowden Offline
Afternoon.
Outside, huh?

Re: wisdom teeth ? - May 24th 2012, 07:12 AM

I got mine out last September. I actually have a major fear of needles, but it wasn't that bad. They hooked me up to the IV, but once I said that needles really bothered me, they gave me something (like some kind of gas, I think), that made it pretty much impossible to remember anything after I was hooked up to the IV. The pain wasn't that bad either if you take all of your medications. However, I don't recommend eating any solid foods for a while. I got pretty sick the day after.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
BabyGirl767 Offline
Meow! Woof Woof! Moooo! Baaaa!
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Ashley

Re: wisdom teeth ? - May 24th 2012, 03:10 PM

I don't like needles either, here's some advice for you on needles,
Like I said look away while they are putting in the IV relax as best you can, if you want close your eyes(i suggest closing your eyes because it helps me and it probably will help yu/work for you) picture yourself somewhere happy and relaxing breathe deeply in through your nose out through your mouth, ask them if you can have a hand to squeeze if you feel like that will help you. And like trinityoflove said its good to remember your dentist/doctor knows what they are doing, the nurse assistant people will take good care of you.
Don't poke at the surgery sites with your fingers or tounge you may get an infection and it will only irritate the already irritated and sore surgery sites. Take the pain medication you are given when you hurt, but make sure you have a little something in your tummy before taking strong pain medication or you'll get nauseous and have a belly ache.
I hope you have a speedy recovery.

I was born with a genetic disorder called neurofibromatosis, it causes tumors to grow in my body on nerves,my spine,and under my skin. I have a tumor in the thalamus region of my brain. I also have heartburn,hypothyroidism and secondary adrenal insufficiency these are under control with medication.
I also have hip dysplasia and scoliosis.

Send a message via AIM to BabyGirl767  
Closed Thread