TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
AmiFey Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Katie

Should I be concerned/ what could it be? - May 27th 2012, 03:05 AM

Okay, so in the last few weeks my heart has started.. being weird. It started out with chest pains and now it will randomly start beating really hard sometimes when I stand or if I'm just walking or exercising or something. I've always been really active and haven't had this problem until recently. And randomly my heart will start doing this weird flutterbeat? I'm not really sure how to explain it. But I don't know what could be causing it, considering I'm sixteen and don't know of having a history of any heart problems in my family. Should I be concerned about it and does anyone have any ideas of what it could be? (I'm not expecting a diagnosis, just ideas to look into)

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Verità Offline
Formerly KeeperOfMysteries
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Alice

Re: Should I be concerned/ what could it be? - May 28th 2012, 02:28 AM

I had a really similar problem a couple years ago. I saw a cardiologist (as you definitely should, just to be safe), and wore a heart monitor for 24 hours, and pressed a button every time I felt something unusual. For me, it just turned out to be something caused by stress, and I was told to just wait it out. Sure enough, a few months later, it was more or less back to normal.

Like I said, you should still see someone about this. Be sure to tell your doctor about your stress levels, and how long this has been happening for as well as how frequently it happens each day.

’Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
Did gyre and gimble in the wabe;
All mimsy were the borogoves,
And the [mome raths] outgrabe.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
AmiFey Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Should I be concerned/ what could it be? - May 28th 2012, 08:03 PM

Did you have tightness in your chest? I'm having trouble breathing as well.. And even though my stress hasn't been high it's still getting worse. The doctor's closed today, but I'll call tomorrow to get an appointment

(#4 (permalink)) Old
AmiFey Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Should I be concerned/ what could it be? - June 7th 2012, 10:49 PM

Okay, so I went to the doctor today and he did an EKG. The results were normal, but because of the symptoms and the fact that when I exercise (he didn't have me do any sort of exercise with it except lifting my legs, which did nothing) I'm being sent to a cardiologist for more testing.
Also my mum took my pulse while we were exercising, and she counted 32 beats in 10 seconds, which would be 192 BPM. It was taken after maybe 1 1/2 minutes of exercise that wasn't that hard? There were also skipped beats, which she noted. Is there any way I could prevent this from happening when I exercise while I wait to go to the cardiologist, because I'm a dancer and need to stay in shape..

Closed Thread