TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Agony Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Question Are you supposed to be able to see your ribs and spine?? - June 25th 2012, 04:49 PM

I can easily see my ribs and if I look in the mirror I can see my spine all the way down, is that normal? I don't have an ED and I'm not underweight or anything. When I looked it up on the Internet I kept getting mixed answers so I was just wondering if y'all could see them too. I can also feel them without pushing down or applying pressure...anything helps!! Thanks!

When I'm sad I think, "I got a jar of dirt, I got a jar of dirt!"

You can't change fate, but you can change your attitude towards it.
Former user: xArchDreamerx

Became a HelpLINK mentor on July 13th, 2013

(#2 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Are you supposed to be able to see your ribs and spine?? - June 25th 2012, 07:18 PM

Hey there,

Everyone's body is built differently so there are some people who can see their ribs and spine like you are describing. The important thing is that you are eating properly and taking care of yourself. Looking for answers to this question is probably not the best idea because, like you said, you will get mixed answers. The truth is the best place to look for answers is through a doctor. Do you see a doctor regularly? If so then I am sure if your doctor had any concerns about your weight he/she would have said something. If you have not been seeing a doctor regularly I suggest you talk to your parents about getting into see one.

I really hope this helped.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Outside, huh?

Name: Cathy

Re: Are you supposed to be able to see your ribs and spine?? - June 25th 2012, 07:25 PM

I agree with ~CourageousSurvivor~. Everyone's body is built differently from each other.

Member Since 1/15/2012

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Are you supposed to be able to see your ribs and spine?? - June 25th 2012, 11:16 PM

I also agree, I have a friend who you can see her ribs and she eats just fine, but she also has health issues where she can't eat all these different types of food (especially if it has sugar in it) cause it makes her sick, so it makes it super hard to be over weight any how cause she has to eat super healthy.... Maybe not the best example though, but yeah, everyone is shaped different, like even when I wasn't super thin you could still see the bottom of my rib cage sticking out... Though, having an eating disorder isn't the only thing that could cause you to be underweight, like a doctor might have concerns about your muscle mass, and whether your body is retaining the proper proteins, vitamins etc to keep your body at a "proper" weight. But again, nothing might be wrong, you might just have a high metabolism and a small tiny frame

(#5 (permalink)) Old
bitesize Offline
Member since April '07
Outside, huh?

Re: Are you supposed to be able to see your ribs and spine?? - June 26th 2012, 01:26 AM

Yes, some people are just built that way. I can see mine, and I'm not underweight at all, it's jsut the shape of my body.

Honey, you're familiar, like my mirror, years ago
I slithered here from Eden just to sit outside your door
Níl a shíltear mar a bhítear.
Things are not always what they seem.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Coffee. Offline
Condom Queen
TeenHelp Addict

Name: Traci

Re: Are you supposed to be able to see your ribs and spine?? - June 26th 2012, 06:42 AM

If you are not underweight as stated by a doctor, your fine, bodies differ for the way they distribute their weight, and yours just may have less fat around your ribs and near your spine. It's perfectly fine.

I said to the sun, "Tell me about the big bang"
& the sun said “it hurts to become."
Andrea Gibson, "I Sing The Body Electric; Especially When My Power Is Out"
  Send a message via MSN to Coffee.  
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
BDF Offline
I can't get enough

Name: BDF

Re: Are you supposed to be able to see your ribs and spine?? - June 26th 2012, 09:28 AM

I think it's ok. You're obviously pretty slim. You know what? I lift hell a lot of weights and eat tons, and I can still see some of my ribs on the sides when I stretch and such.

"I don't care about politics"
Then politics doesn't care about you either. Truth. You've got to make your voice heard, if you want to be listened to. But that's too logical for some people, so let me go a step further. Not making your voice heard, leaves other people free to hijack it by speaking on your behalf, even if they don't actually give a shit about you. That's politics. So, make your voice heard. That's not a quote from anywhere. That's just me.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Heathen Online
Beauty and Bedlam
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jordan

Re: Are you supposed to be able to see your ribs and spine?? - June 27th 2012, 05:18 AM

Everyone has a different body shape; if you are eating and exercising healthily and fall within a healthy weight bracket, you are most likely fine. If you are still concerned, though, I would consult your primary care physician.

The moon asked the crow
For a little show
In the hazy milk of twilight
No one had to know
The moon asked the crow...
  Send a message via Yahoo to Heathen  
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
Agony Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Are you supposed to be able to see your ribs and spine?? - June 27th 2012, 05:39 AM

Thanks guys!! I just was wondering cause some of my friends would ask me about it in the locker room, one of my neurologists was checking my back and he just said that it was really easy to feel all the bones and such but he didn't say anything bad about it so I'm guess I'm good well yeah anyways thanks a bunch!!

When I'm sad I think, "I got a jar of dirt, I got a jar of dirt!"

You can't change fate, but you can change your attitude towards it.
Former user: xArchDreamerx

Became a HelpLINK mentor on July 13th, 2013

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Are you supposed to be able to see your ribs and spine?? - June 27th 2012, 02:19 PM

Yeah, it might just be the shape if your body if your doctors haven't mentioned a negative thing about it

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Cutie7519 Offline
Love & Death
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Kate
Location: In my happy place, where happiness lives forever more.

Re: Are you supposed to be able to see your ribs and spine?? - June 29th 2012, 12:22 AM

As long as you are a healthy weight and have no heath issues and have no ED you will be fine.

And as mention above, everyone's body is built differently.

"It's easier to run, replacing this pain with something numb, it's so much easier to go, than face all this pain here all alone."- Linkin Park, Easier to run

"When the nightmares take me, I will scream with the howling wind." Owl City, Lonely Lullaby

Closed Thread